F

2 Messages

• 

80 Points

Thu, Sep 2, 2021 4:08 AM

Switching from immediate slip-on dentures to post supported dentures.

Has anyone made the switch from immediate uppers to post supported ones?

If so, did you gain any stability? Improved chewing function? Better drink/food taste?

I hear it's a long healing process. What are the restrictions and what do you use/do/not do during the healing process? 

How severe is the pain (1-10) and how long does it last?

Thanks in advance for sharing.

6 Messages

• 

110 Points

Il y a 5 m

Hi!

I just had 8 implants installed on Nov. 15, 2021, 4 upper and 4 lower, doing all on 4 snap-in dentures.

They removed my remaining 4 bottom teeth, then a week later they installed the implants. If you've been missing teeth for awhile, you're probably going to need bone grafts, which involves cutting open the gums, then have them stitched back together. They need to heal for 6 months to make sure that they fully fuse with/in your jawbone. After the 6 months, I go back to get the abutments, which are the posts that stick out above the gums and get snapped into the denture, screwed into the implants. This involves cutting the gum enough to screw the abutments into the implants.

During the 6 month healing process, you will be wearing temporary dentures, so nothing new for you? My only problem with healing is just some sore spots on my bottom gum when I eat harder stuff (yes, harder stuff!!!).

The pain wasn't that bad, and I only took Ibuprofen 800 mg, and didn't get nitrous - just local anesthesia! If you've had root canals, and/or multiple extractions, you should have no problem with the pain. It lasts about the same length of time as extractions.

If you have the means, get it done ASAP! The main benefit of implants is that you won't suffer more bone loss then you may already have. I've had some kind of upper for 5+ years, and I already have the old man look - I'm 48- which should be vastly improved by the implants/bone graft/denture combo.

In order to do this, my dentist requires you to get their top of the line denture, which is fine by me. The temporary dentures are the economy line model.

Let me know if you have any other questions!