Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

1 Message

• 

70 Points

Mon, Sep 2, 2019 12:33 AM

need guidance on getting dentures

At 73 I want to go for dentures instead of more and more root canals and caps. I'm scared of dentist and moving forward. Is it advise able to do just the uppers first and then the lowers later? I don't know what to do. Also how do you find a good reliable Doctor?

Responses

159 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

a year ago

i'm 65-no one told me getting a full upper and lower partial was a REALLY BAD idea 30 yrs. ago-back when we just did what 'the dentist' said-keep in mind-just like any other profession-all dentists are NOT created equal-if you live in a state where you can go to a denturist-i would-if not-the MOST important thing i'd tell you is-keep any top and bottom teeth you can and just get partials-i wish someone would have told me that-BIGGEST mistake of my life and some dentists have free consults-make sure you do your homework or maybe someone in this group is in your area

30 Messages

• 

724 Points

a year ago

Uppers first for sure....Then in about 6 months do the bottom. You will not regret it..I’m on year 12 and it’s been pain free.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

a year ago

To  BJ Sparks
would never remove teeth that are viable  If you have to have dentures then partials are always better then full dentures if you have that option   
Do  a lot of research on the internet  to  know about your options
Go to a few dentists that offer free consutations and see what they advise

Go to a dental college and get their opinion

Do NOT remove your teeth if you do not have to

Lower dentures are a night mare

Run your options by us 
Good luck
Barbara

159 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

amen to that-ANYONE who still has teeth-KEEP THEM-those will be like 'the implants' you will LATER want-to hold a 'denture like device just get a partial which is all you need anyway.  there are things you don't 'get' when you first get a full denture-like if you're single and dating-what will 'they' think?  not vain-just reality-i didn't need the top teeth pulled-they were good-the DENTIST just said it would be cheaper and i can't believe i was that ignorant and i'd give anything to have those teeth back

6 Messages

• 

176 Points

a year ago

Dear BJ Sparks please do everything you can to keep your lower teeth. They are the most uncomfortable and hardest to get used to. They also tend to come off much easier while eating and talking as there is less to hold onto.

As far as finding a good dentist word of mouth and reviews are the best bet. The one I went to was and still is a nightmare. You also have to trust your gut when you meet the person. I hope this helps and I wish you luck!

159 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

i think a lot of people still don't know-the dentist doesn't make the denture-just takes an impression or has someone in the office take it who may or may not know how to take a good one-if that impression isn't good-your denture won't fit and they'll say 'just wear glue'.....they send it to a lab with 'written instructions' and hope for the best-if you don't like it at your wax try-in-they send it back and again-hope for the best-make sure you get to have a say in picking size-color-shape of teeth and if it doesn't look good in wax-that's when to make changes and don't be afraid to say what you feel-that's what you're paying for-too many dentists blame the patient because they don't have a clue

6 Messages

• 

176 Points

If you can find a good dentist. Mine refused to make changes even in the wax phase, ugh...nightmare!

159 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

because he/she didn't know how or didn't want to deal with it-WE should have a say in size/color/shape of our teeth and if it doesn't look good in wax-that's when changes HAVE to be made-i would have asked for my money back right there and walked out

1.5K Messages

• 

25.3K Points

I agree Donnie. The impression is so important and not only do we take 1st preliminary impressions but once we pour the impressions we fabricate custom trays off the models for final impressions so it is more accurate as the custom tray is a custom made tray to their upper or lower arch.

159 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

a 'custom tray' is what many don't get or even know about-makes ALL the difference and it it's done right-many of us wouldn't have to use adhesive but as 'you' know-most dentists just say 'sure-i can make you dentures' then 'hope for the best' from the lab-the things i've learned in the last 30 yrs. hoping here-i can help some not make the mistakes i made-number 1. being-keep ALL good teeth and only get partials

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

a year ago

To BJ
Every one is telling you the same thing

You have come for advise
The advise is do NOT remove any viable teeth

Partial dentures  are better then full dentures

Hold on to the bottoms for dear life
Good dentists are hard to find

Listen to people who have been there
Barbara

6 Messages

• 

118 Points

a year ago

I lost my bottom teeth do to illness. I got a full lower denture, Teaching, talking , etc.  became a problem. I went ahead and got bottom inplants using the same dentures. Recently I was told that some of  my upper teeth were not fixable. I opted for full uppers. Went shopping and found all 3 dentists charging about the same price.  What made my decision for me was.. Friendly staff, cleanliness, Attitude of the dentist, comforting and understanding from the first interview. Décor of the site and music played softly all was just my style. Can't beat  Classic  Rock/Roll.  I am 82 years of age. I had to save up $. It was well worth effort. 

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

a year ago

Hi Rita
How comfortable are the bottom dentures with the implants???
Do you remember what the implants cost???
How are you doing with the top dentures
Barbara

6 Messages

• 

176 Points

Bottom dentures are not comfortable no matter what. I have implants on top and bottom. The top cannot be removed. The bottom I can take out... Thank goodness because they are awful. I love my top dentures but wish I could have saved my bottom teeth desperately!!!

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

To  Grammy 2012
There is something wrong with your bottom dentures
How long have you had them?
You have 2  years to  complain
So   If the 2 years are not up start  now

Start complaining until your dentist fixes them  
good Luck
Barbara

6 Messages

• 

176 Points

My problem is he made us pay $14000 in cash and wouldn't provide receipts. I don't know what I can do. He's been torturing me for years!

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

To  Grammy2012
When was the last day you went for these dentures??
Go back to him and tell them they do not fit and they are
painful and they are a torture  
Ask him to fix them
Let him know you are on the internet and every one says he should make them comfortable because  that is what you have paid for
Good Luck and let us know how this is going
Barbara

Something is wrong  with the way they fit

6 Messages

• 

176 Points

I saw him last one year ago. He made the bottoms with one full side and one side with only two teeth because he was trying to save himself some money. I told him they weren't acceptable and he said I agreed to it this way and it would cost more for him to fix it. I sat through 19 hours of surgery (awake because it was an extra $2500 to be put under) with this guy and my anxiety is terrible. The side with only two teeth is the side I have to try and chew on because as soon as food gets on the full side it pulls them off the other side and it hurts like crazy. I recently found out that he is a very bad person who sells drugs, sleeps with his assistants etc etc etc. I can't stand to look at him, how do I find the strength to go back and make him fix these?

6 Messages

• 

118 Points

a year ago

Hi Barb.

Button implants are great. You have to be sure you line them until hey snap on. I chose going to sleep during the surgery. Quick and easy. Not much pain. You wake up and go home. You have to have a driver with you. The cost was right around 3000. for 2 implants.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

a year ago

Rita
Are these Mini implants or regular size implants???

6 Messages

• 

118 Points

a year ago

I am assuming the are regular size. I have had them for 6 yrs. Just had the O rings redone