Skip to main content
Denture Living Community
brett_pradlik's profile

9 Messages

• 

172 Points

Wed, Mar 31, 2021 12:25 AM

Medicaid dentures

I now have a partial and was told originally that my dentist a Medicaid dentist would replace the very cheap partial I have with valplast which is a way more comfortable partial denture. I now have been approved by Medicaid for fill dentures and it won’t be with the better quality material originally offered. I’m not happy with the idea of walking around after the rest of my teeth are extracted (some are still in tact & in good shape)  but they want me to do this and walk around without teeth for 2months. I really don’t want to do it. 

Responses

1.6K Messages

• 

26.3K Points

11 d ago

Ask for an Immediate Full Upper Denture. It will be made and ready to be inserted soon as you have your extractions. If you get an Immediate it will get loose over the 6mths after your ext's (gums receding and making a "new landscape" in your mouth) and you will definitely need a Reline at 6mths or after to improve the fit. For a full Denture Valplast isn't really the way to go due to the overall fit won't be great. It's not as strong as regular acrylic and if you break a tooth or the denture it's not repairable and you have to pay to get a new one. It's also almost impossible "technically" to fabricate. What do you have on your lower arch?

(edited)

9 Messages

• 

172 Points

This dentist is not able to do an immediate denture which is a huge issue for me. The partial I have now on my upper arch was done by a one day dental place who extracted my front teeth & it cost me thousands of dollars. Because I had veneers done in 1990 which had cracked 25 years later which caused all of this to happen that my front teeth veneers broke. It has been a nightmare ever since.
my bottom teeth are still there, not all but, some and a few are in tact. I now have medicaid and thought this dentist would redo my partial w a better material Valplast.  He says that Medicaid approved full upper and bottom dentures but,  I am SO not happy about pulling my last few teeth out and walking around without teeth for 2 or 3 months. I think my better off the way I am now. I atleast am only dealing with an upper partial that I can remove when I’m home and can eat normally still. Am confused for sure but I feel in my gut to leave it he for now.  Am going to call medicaid and see how long the approval is good for.  Thanks for your comments 

1.6K Messages

• 

26.3K Points

Why can't they make an Immediate??!!

1.6K Messages

• 

26.3K Points

Try and save as many lower teeth for as long as you can. A full lower isn't fun getting used to. Do you teeth on the lower in the front?

1.6K Messages

• 

26.3K Points

Wait...He's saying they approved full upper/lower. Do you need your remaining upper teeth pulled? I'm getting confused as you mentioned you went in for a new partial and were approved for a full set. As much as we love making dentures here (my work) we still believe in keeping your natural teeth (healthy) as long as you can.

9 Messages

• 

172 Points

I wanted a partial for the top as the partial I have now was made for me privately & cost me a lot of , this was before I got my medicaid. When my partial was made for me I had a bridge which eventually wouldn’t stay in my mouth to hold up the partial. Unfortunately the dentist I saw privately didn’t do what she had to do with the bridge that I had on my upper left side. So the bridge won’t stay anymore and she wanted another $1000 to add teeth to my bridge. Instead I finally got my medicaid as I lost my previous insurance and figured I would see a medicaid dentist to ask for a partial. The dentist I’m dealing with now put in for an approval but Medicaid said that I would need a full upper & lower partial eventually so that’s what they approved me for. I spoke with Medicaid a few times & they said my dentist could have appealed their decision but he didn’t. As far as my bottom teeth I have a lot of issues a few cracked teeth on the bottom but I still have a few strong good teeth and On top I have the right teeth to hold a partial, but my top front teeth were pulled for the partial.  I was told to see if another dentist would help me get a partial made by Medicaid which is what I originally wanted. I still feel I can stay like this for a little  longer regardless. Medicaid said I can look for another opinion and that if I don’t use this approval I can always get another approval after this one expires and I am see any dentist with this approval. Would just like to hold off w this as my partial now is still usable and I can eat with the teeth I have in my mouth now.
I appreciate you letting me share al of this. It is somewhat complicated.  Thanks 

9 Messages

• 

172 Points

10 d ago

Yeah mistake made above. My partial does stay in my mouth on the top without my bridge I just have a few less teeth on the left side of the partial which doesn’t really matter just cosmetically it doesn’t look as nice as when I had the bridge there. Like I said I can stay like this and am planning on going to see another dentist at some point soon to first of all see if they can possibly get an approval for a partial or if not if they would atteast do the extractions in their office rather than sending me elsewhere and also if they can do an immediate or less of a wait for the denture. As you can see I’m not happy about just running to extract my remaining teeth just yet to do this denture thing. 

9 Messages

• 

172 Points

Typo in my previous comment today. Medicaid said I would eventually need a full upper & bottom denture. Please excuse 

1.6K Messages

• 

26.3K Points

Oh I hear ya. No rush on getting them extracted if they're healthy enough. I'm not familiar with this "Medicaid" stuff as I'm in Canada but how the heck do they know you're going to eventually lose all your teeth??!!! Ugh you may be fine with a partial for the rest of your life! Sheesh Sorry....The older I'm getting the less patience I have for Stupid. Rant over. At least Medicaid was pretty nice and explained your other options which doesn't seem like this Dentist you went to did.

9 Messages

• 

172 Points

Exactly except the dentist I have been dealing with is like 4 blocks away grim my house which I like the convienience of but yeah  he misled me into thinking I could possibly get a better quality partial made of valplast which is why I have been waiting for the medicaid approval for a year. I know my teeth are not I. Great shape anymore but I also know in my gut it’s not time for me to go extract all my teeth just yet. So what’s  your situation? & your in Canada so it’s def a different system all together. Thanks for your support & help

9 Messages

• 

172 Points

Typo above ⬆️ “4 Blocks away from my house”

(edited)

1.6K Messages

• 

26.3K Points

I work for a Denturist in Canada. They're kind of frowned upon from Dentists in USA. I think they're only legal in 4 states over there. Totally legal here and specialize in basically making dentures only. More cost effective as Dentist's can mark up the fees and you are dealing right with the Denturist who makes your Dentures from start to finish. I stumbled on this forum a fewish yrs ago and try to help educate pple on tips/suggestions ex. someone denture not fitting well and explains the issue on here and their Dentist tells them nothing can be done. I may know what can be done and advise them to take notes and tell their Dentist to do what I advise.

Oh no problem. I'm a passionate person and enjoy what I do and hope to help educate people as I notice not many Dental Offices do...

83 Messages

• 

2K Points

9 d ago

I do understand. I bought a bill of goods so to speak from a bad place to deal with and could not get good service so I ended up taking back the money I paid for dentures because I could not wear them anyway and was going toothless. So I went for 6 months with no teeth. I got used to it and was surprised that no one really cared except me. Now you can wear the face mask. Meanwhile I learned to make my own dentures and so it turned out to be a blessing.

9 Messages

• 

172 Points

You learned to make your own dentures?

83 Messages

• 

2K Points

Yes it is very doable. There is a Fb group. Do your own dentures. We use this method. https://makeyourowndentures.net/

9 Messages

• 

172 Points

7 d ago

Does anyone here in NYC know of any dentist who takes Medicaid who has a lab in their office so they don’t make patients wait for partials/Dentures?