Skip to main content
Denture Living Community
D

5 Messages

• 

116 Points

Sat, Feb 13, 2021 6:36 AM

Lower denture too loose for eating, what to do, glue and other options?

My new lower denture, one month old, is too loose for eating food, slight large mouth/tongue movement will make the denture out of position.  The denture has just one metal hooker to only one remaining teeth-canine, wonder if this causes the very problem-too loose for eating. 

I  asked my  dental doctor, he is rather experienced in early 60s, if I need to use glues to fix denture to eat food, I was told no need to do so. It's been a few weeks, the doctor made a bit adjustment, but seems no use, I still not able to use my lower denture to eat at all. 

BTW, my teeths upper jaw are rather good, just one missing,

Wonder what are the options for me:

1. Glue

2. Ask another dental doctors to look into the problem, or fix it

3. Looking into implant supported denture

This is my first post in this forum, sorry for asking so many question,  thanks for people sharing own experiences.

David

Responses

78 Messages

• 

2K Points

19 days ago

The dentist needs to make one that will fit you. Do another impression and have the denture tech make a new one. 

37 Messages

• 

674 Points

19 days ago

I don't know what the metal hooker is?  But you will always need glue regardless of the impression or who tight it fits.  You will not be able to eat food with them being either glued in or, best choice is to get posts implanted. I have a very small mouth and lack of bone was my reason for getting dentures.  My mouth can only have two posts - four are best.  I had my teeth pulled and full dentures just over three years ago and now I wish I had the posts in then.  Would have saved me years of crappy eating, horrible amounts of product I had to use and embarrassement!  Now you are only one month in so you will need several appointments for fitting and impressions as your mouth will shrink drastically over the first year.

But the end goal here is to EAT AGAIN!!!!

Hope this helps

5 Messages

• 

116 Points

@jayme

Thanks for sharing, see the photo I attached in another reply. 

"Now you are only one month in so you will need several appointments for fitting and impressions as your mouth will shrink drastically over the first year."

I asked the dentist for a bit adjustment, but no use at all! I don't understand  mouth will shrink??

5 Messages

• 

116 Points

18 days ago

@eleanorlebrecht 

Not sure if the looseness is due to the fact that I have only one teeth on my lower jaw,  hooked to the denture, see the photo, then making another one will not solve my problem. I assume the dentist knows it should work, but some how it does not:-(

so I am very disappointed, hope  people with similar denture here can share own experiences

Thanks

78 Messages

• 

2K Points

I would not have kept the one tooth. If the denture is too big right now then it was not made snug to fit. Join Do Your Own Dentures on Facebook for more info. You do have to answer 3 questions to join.

5 Messages

• 

116 Points

thanks, will look into it, but as of now I am not dare enough  to make one DIY

1.6K Messages

• 

26.1K Points

16 days ago

Hey David. Unfortunately Full Dentures on the lower are never a great fit and with  you having only one tooth left you're experiencing close to what that would be. Yes...."glue" will help. Ask to get that clasp tightened to help keep it stable. Don't be surprised that the clasp will get loose from time to time and you will need to go in to get it tightened. Please don't tighten it yourself because if you break it then you have to pay to have it repaired. Implant Retained Denture on the lower is the best option and the most expensive. If you are able to go that route a min of 2 implants are good... 3 will be great. 2 in the anterior section and one in the posterior section to keep it in place. The Retained Denture is the one you can snap in  yourself and a better option as you can clean it yourself rather then paying approx $30k on a fixed one that is screwed in your mouth and would need to see the Dentist every time you want it cleaned. Hope this helps. :)

5 Messages

• 

116 Points

@josie_e4d925

1. clasp tightening: in fact my dentist did once, seems not helping;
2. Implant Retained Denture: my lower jaw still has one canine, rather strong, not sure how long it will last. As long as it remains I could not use Implant Retained Denture, am I right?
Seems in the near term, only choice is to use Glue.
Thanks for your suggestions

1.6K Messages

• 

26.1K Points

Yes as I mentioned unfortunately having one tooth left doesn't really help with stability. It is possible to get implants, still keep that last canine and have the current denture modified to "snap on" to the implants. Thing is.... do they have the knowledge/skill to do so.