Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

63 Messages

• 

1K Points

Fri, Feb 26, 2016 6:16 PM

I work at a Denture Clinic and can help as much as I can with any of your denture questions. :)

Responses

187 Messages

• 

5K Points

5 years ago

The clinic i went to didn't give me any information about caring for the softliner in my immediate denture. Do i leave it in water overnight or not. Conflicting info. Dont keep your dentures in overnight, dont let your dentures dry out,,dont soak the softliner in water. ..what is accurate information? Thx

118 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

How is it going ?

63 Messages

• 

1K Points

5 years ago

Hey Leslie,  The 1st day you get the soft liner you should keep the denture in your mouth over night. The liner is still soft so you want to give it a chance to harden a bit. After the 1st night it's always important to take your dentures out over night and yes have them soak in water. This allows you to maintain the gums you have left for as long as you can. It lets your gums breathe...almost like taking your socks off. Sorry for the example. Just in case you don't know you also shouldn't clean your dentures with toothpaste. It has an abrasive in it that can ruin them through time. Liquid hand soap or dish soap works great and just a good rinse. One more tip...through some time your soft liner may feel hard, you can run your denture under luke warm water before placing in your mouth to help soften it a bit. I hope I answered everything on your post and this helps. :)

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

Also, if I may add, technically you shouldn't be removing your soft liner that the dentist puts in. It becomes part of your teeth/palate so when they make new ones they will fit.

Also, I even have my spare pair soaking in water that I change every few days. Since when I got my permanent teeth they told me to keep my temps just in case. But was told to never let them dry out

63 Messages

• 

1K Points

No!!!!! Never try and remove the soft liner. lol. It should be removed from a professional only. Through time it will wear out as it's a "temporary".

63 Messages

• 

1K Points

Yes very true. Dentures love water as they are in your mouth all day with saliva. :)

68 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

Hi everyone, I still can't eat with my uppers in. I can't seem to overcome the foreign feel of the teeth. :(
When they touch my real lowers the feeling is awful.
Maybe one day I'll adjust
Nancy

187 Messages

• 

5K Points

Fortunately I adjusted to the feeling quite well and often forget they are in. The thing that is uncomfortable to me is the adhesive. That feels gross. The new liner has helped with suction and i talk fine with them but eating is still a challenge. I just make sure i split a bite of food to both sides at the same time. It helps keep them from rocking at all. I sure hope you are able to adjust soon. Its just toughing it out until you get used to the sensation.

187 Messages

• 

5K Points

5 years ago

I actually removed the first liner myself 2 days after I got it. It peeled right out. It was so awful !!! So thick it and low, it was the first time i gagged with the denture. There wasn't room for my tongue! The teeth were cutting into my bottom lip. I have buffed and adjusted it a bit myself and it made it much more comfortable. I went to school for cosmetology and have done nails for years working with acrylics. I buff it to a beautiful shine and im good to go. Its amazing just how little needs taken off to relieve pressure. I did a far better job adjusting it than that assistant who did the awful liner. She left spots sharp and rough. She has no business working with dentures. I wore it all day yesterday no problems. Thanks for the info. Definitely in water at night!

63 Messages

• 

1.8K Points

I'm surprised an assistant is allowed to do adjustments. Where I go only the Dr's can do the actual adjustments.

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

Where I WAS going, the assistants would come in and out the little bib on me (which didn't due much during my extractions, at least it was a red tank top, but never did get those stains out), and the dentist would come in and look in my mouth, but the assistants always did the adjustments.

Now when I was there for my soft relines/hard relines/final teeth, the dentist always did the squirting of the goop and removing from my mouth, but up until my finals the assistants always did the drilling, etc., with the dentist watching over their shoulders.

I have to say what a huge difference the perms are! I still need to take the after pics and then I'll post.

258 Messages

• 

7.3K Points

When I went for my reline I believe it was an assistant. At my place they have regular assistants and then there's some that only deal with dentures. So that one girl does mine which the doctor will b there to review.

63 Messages

• 

1.8K Points

Interesting. The assistants where I go are very knowledgeable and have been able to answer all my questions, but it's been my Dr that has done all t h e adjustments.

187 Messages

• 

5K Points

This girl didn't even pay attention to where I told her it was hurting, she just said oh this side, and went to doing that sides edge right in front of me. When the dentist did it i showed him where the sore spots were with my little diagram and he put this little purple stuff on a swab in my mouth, put the denture in took it out and took it to the lab and then brought it back. This girl just didn't care about anything but lunch because it was 1230 and as soon as she got me out the door she locked it behind me. When i get my permanent denture i won't be going back to Aspen. When i went to the office to get a proper one put in my appointment was at 10:30 and when I finally got taken back it was 1230 and that was only because I complained 2xs. If i hadn't complained i still would have been sitting who knows how much longer. That is completely unacceptable. Im not seeing the dentist or anyone else for a lengthy process. If i made them wait for that long and they paid me in advance the dentist wouldn't tolerate it, why should I.

258 Messages

• 

7.3K Points

5 years ago

U know Leslie I get my nails done a lot and I also have filed on my top denture. I filed on the palate and it made a huge difference. I made it a little thinner and I have great suction without the adhesives. I wear secure adhesive so I can eat and what not. But yea I don't recommended anyone start filing away unless u know what ur doing. These are my temps so I don't wanna ruin them because I won't get my permanents for another 3 months or so

1 Message

• 

60 Points

What adhesive do you use my bottom ones will not Stay in to eat

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Secure adhesive is the best Ive used,waterproof& really works

259 Messages

• 

3.6K Points

5 years ago

Hi Gina2, I got your second email and clicked on the view reply and it's not bringing me there so maybe that is on one of the accounts that Tanya, one of the moderators said she disabled for me. When I went to my profile it tells me profile information and then that's it all I can do was show what my profile says but I can go to the bottom and then it's just blank so I don't know if is different if you're on a computer versus the phone I have only been using my phone for this stuff. But I want to say thank you for trying to help me I do appreciate it .

5 Messages

• 

160 Points

5 years ago

What can I possibly do about the constant gagging I had my teeth pulled 10months ago but the first 5months I couldn't wear them due 2 damage on my lower jaw. I try 2 wear them every day as long as I can but I can't stop gagging.

187 Messages

• 

5K Points

Josie works for a Denture facility, she can help you with advice. Thankfully I didn't struggle with this issue.

1.5K Messages

• 

25.4K Points

Hey Carol, I sent you a response on this thread. This forum can get confusing but I hope you notice it below. I'll do my best to help.Hang in there. You're not alone and sooo many great people on here that can help you. :)

1.5K Messages

• 

25.4K Points

5 years ago

Sorry. Answering from my cell right now and not the greatest. I'll try and get back to you later from my computer. Gagging usually occurs from the PPS (Post Palatal Seal) it's the back of your denture closest to your throat from left to right of your gums. Have you had any adjustments done there?btw you shouldn't be having that issue at this point. I'll do my best to guide you with suggestions.

5 Messages

• 

160 Points

5 years ago

I have gone in numerous times I always complain he says it's bc I need 2 get use 2 them even if u look at them one side of denture is longer then other and they really don't stay in he said it's bc it's not my final pair I have 2 go back in in may and pay more money 4 a final lining and I can't use the fixodent bc of the gagging

118 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

How is it going?

1.5K Messages

• 

25.4K Points

Hi Irma what can I help you with?

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

Carol you might have to have the denture shortened and tapered in the back on the upper, it's like a peace of taffy to far in your mouth you can gag on it

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

I had to have my lower ones shortened it helped a lot

1.5K Messages

• 

25.4K Points

Your dentist shouldn't be telling you to "get used to it" you can have it adjusted and have some acrylic removed in that back. They can only take a way to a certain point that you don't lose your suction. Tell him to do it! You paid for them and he has to make you feel comfortable.

1.5K Messages

• 

25.4K Points

5 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that Carol. Things are different from the states and canada I noticed from this forum. We typically don't offer 2 sets so maybe they're just telling you that's what you have to deal with for now. Typically, you should never need to use adhesive on an upper so let's say your permanent one. You should be able to go for adjustments. And the adjustments will help in the mean time while you wait for your permanent. Hopefully you've had a soft liner at this point to hepf with the fit " TEMPORARILY" until you get your permanent. Hope this helps. If not don't hesitate to ask....:)

5 Messages

• 

160 Points

It's not like a new denture it's suppose 2 be a permanent liner I do have the soft liner in now I just wish I could do something about the constant gagging

1.5K Messages

• 

25.4K Points

Yes and what I mean is what I posted above. Sometimes even after your sodtliner you will need an adjustment. Chances are you may need several. Hang in there. Call for an adjustment and ask them to remove some of the pps. The backbparr.t. Let me know if I answered your question as best that I can. Sorry strull on my phone. Hard to see.

259 Messages

• 

3.6K Points

Josie, as I've told you before I have had to use adhesive on my top dentures since tthe day I got it and it's not getting any better.

1.5K Messages

• 

25.4K Points

Hi Elizabeth my last post was for Carol on here whom I've been having a discussion with. Hope there's no confusion.

1.5K Messages

• 

25.4K Points

Hey Carol, how are things going? Have you had the adjustments to get rid of the gagging?

258 Messages

• 

7.3K Points

5 years ago

So this is what they gave me after. Appointment was at 1145 they changed it to 130 due to being behind schedule. Get there at 130 and they say leave them here come back at 430. Ugh. I love this place but the receptionist is just rude and no sympathy. I told her I've been without bottom denture for almost a week and u keep doing this to me. It's not my fault ur behind schedule and I can't keep coming in when u like.

1.5K Messages

• 

25.4K Points

The new pic looks good.

1.5K Messages

• 

25.4K Points

Hey Lizzy I'm at work now and was able to expand your pic. I showed my boss as well.  It's the same denture. What we noticed though is they didn't complete the job. You don't have a labial freenum like you used to and I see bumps of acrylic all along the bottom of the denture. That's supposed to be trimmed, pumiced and then polished. Key steps in any process.

258 Messages

• 

7.3K Points

Thanks. They said to wait a week then if I have problems to call so I'm definitely gonna take ur advice and tell them. Thanks

472 Messages

• 

14.2K Points

The first (and only - so far) set I made is smoother than that!