Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

1 Message

• 

84 Points

Wed, Mar 13, 2019 4:54 AM

I need my teeth removed at 34 & I'm not sure I can do it.

Hi, I am in a very similar situation to Adelle who posted on here almost a year ago, as I am the same age & am also from South Wales.

I know that I need to have all my teeth removed & I know doing it is the only way I can move forward in live, but I have always suffered from terrible anxiety & I know that this is the reason that I let my dental issues get this terrible in the first place.

I feel that the main thing holding me back is the amount of appointments that I will have to endure before I even get to the stage of removal, let alone to subsequent appointments after. This truly terrifies me as my anxiety issues have turned into a mild case of agoraphobia over the last couple of years, which has only accelerated my dental issues.

I'm not sure that posting here will help me at all but I am at my whits end these days & everybody I know in real life just doesn't seem to care enough to actually help me. I've never had the courage to post it about online before now & any advice or encouragement will certainly be very much appreciated.

Jonathan.

Responses

112 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

2 years ago

Hi Jonathan.  I was in the same position last year. I was not so much anxious as resigned to the dental appointments, but I was also really fed up with my teeth - with not being able to eat properly, with worrying about dental pain and abscesses, and with hiding my mouth when I smiled. What kept  me going was knowing that, at the end of the process, I would not have to dread any more dental problems and I would be able to eat and smile with confidence. You say that it's the only way that you can move on in life, so just imagine how good that life will be for just a few months of anxiety and hassle. It WILL be worth it. I am testament to that. I had my extractions last July, my new dentures were 'installed' in September and, by December, I was functioning almost normally.  Now, in March, I still can't stop looking at my new teeth in the mirror and being so glad that I pushed myself.

To help get you through it, ask your GP for something to help relax your nerves. You can ask for something that you can take only on those days that you need to visit the dentist, so it won't be anything addictive. Explain to the GP what you need it for. My doctor gave me something to take two hours before my dental appointments and it really did help.

Have you seen a dentist recently?  You might find that you don't need as many appointments as you are expecting so get that first appointment arranged and go from there.  For your anxiety and agoraphobia, perhaps you can try hypnotherapy. There will probably be someone in your area that does it or your GP will be able to advise you.

You will find, as I did, that this forum is a great place to visit.  Everyone is so friendly, helpful, supportive, and full of good advice and tips.

Good luck to you and please keep posting so that we can see how you are getting on and so that we can support you.. 

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

2 years ago

Jonathan
Hi
So sorry   to  hear about your multiple   problems now focusing on your teeth removal

I assume you are going to a therapist
If  not now is the time to see one

You need professional support to do what you have to do
 and now is the time to make use  of a  therapist
You  need all  the help you can get  and all the   support  you cab get to   handle this.    
Let us know what you are doing and  what steps  you are taking to handle this so you can feel better and happier.   

Good Luck
Barbara

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

2 years ago

Jonathen 

You said:

"I feel that the main thing holding me back is the amount of appointments that I will have to endure before I even get to the stage of removal, let alone to subsequent appointments after. This truly terrifies me "

OK well how many appointments do you need  before your teeth are removed?

Call the dentist's  office   and ask him how many prior 
appointments  you will need before the removal of your teeth???
You should know  as much as you can  about the  time schedule
before you proceed
First things first.  One step at a time
You need all the information you can get about the time schedule

Armed with   that information go see the therapist
and you will be on your way toward a resolution

43 Messages

• 

836 Points

2 years ago

Have you tried CBD? Works wonders for a lot of us... Prayers going up for you.... just do it ... u got this cuz Gods got u...listen to klove.com or Air1.com get the apps it will help xo loVe keldoll on youtube

9 Messages

• 

198 Points

Hey there! Will CBD help with the pain from extractions and bone grafts?

43 Messages

• 

836 Points

2 years ago

107 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

a year ago

Jonathan, do you have a friend that is dental phobic?  The reason I ask is that I am, Thwhen it come to needles in my gums.  I was talking to my next door neighbor about it one day and she told me about the dental practice she uses.  She is so phobic that she has to take medication for everything dental.  So, I made an appointment for a free consult.  They took x-rays, we discussed dentures and they gave me an estimate.  Just to be sure, I scheduled consults with two other dental offices.   When all was done, I really really liked the first, but their price was not affordable for me.  So, I contacted them and told them I really wanted to use them, but the price.   Well, they reduced the cost for me.  So, I made the appointment for the extractions. etc.  I had one appointment for creating molds and then one for the extractions and placement of immediate dentures.  I had explained to the dentist my phobia about needles in my gums.  Let me tell you, he totally understood and was the most patient person ever when it came to numbing my mouth.  He was slow and careful and it did not hurt.  My point is, the choice of the dentist to do the work is extremely important.  You want someone that sees you as a person and not just a mouthful of teeth to be dealt with.  I have been back 3 times since my extractions - once was tow days after, once for a soft reline and once to have trimming done.  The people in my dentist office are, by and large, the most caring and compassionate folks ever, and that is important.    Good luck to you in this journey!