amber_booth's profile

2 Messages

• 

102 Points

Thu, Feb 13, 2020 4:45 AM

I have a decision of doing either full dentures or dental implants with dentures and doing snap-on or regular dentures. Which is better?

Hi I'm 35 years old and am in the process of having my teeth pulled for full denture but I have a decision of doing either full dentures or dental implants with dentures.. I'm trying to find out which kind of dentures like snap-on or etc. Please help? 
Also might have to go 5 months without teeth in order to do this covered by Insurance, have any of you done that???

14 Messages

• 

448 Points

2 y ago

At your age, I would recommend implants, even if it takes you 20 years to pay for them.  Dentures don't even come close to feeling or performing like real teeth.  It's also very shocking to see yourself with the dentures out.

2 Messages

• 

92 Points

I wish I never got mine...Dentures are horrible. If you can afford them get the implants. I have had 2 sets, they never fit right, have to use goopy adhesive and now wrinkles from sunkin jaw..Dont do dentures unless you have to

8 Messages

• 

210 Points

I am getting the full denture with implants on the bottom, but just dentures on the top. So far, the experience has been pretty horrible. I have lost 20 pounds in the past 25 days, because I still can't eat any solid food. There is no chewing, because the dentures simply float in my mouth when I attempt to eat or even drink. No adhesive works, period. Seabond sticks to the dentures, but not my gums nor roof of my mouth. Fixodent sticks to my gums and roof of my mouth, but doesn't stick to the denture. Polygrip sticks to nothing...lol. Basically I am drinking I suppose until I am actually able to use the implants in 3 months, provided I am still alive. This has been a totally miserable experience, nothing I can say positive about it - except I guess it was good to lose a little weight. They ground down my jawbone so much, that the lower denture doesn't even sit against my gums. Therefore, if I were to truly bite down hard - I believe it would flex to the point of breaking before I actually accomplished "chewing" anything.

3 Messages

• 

112 Points

That's awful Chris! Hoping that over the last 2 months, it's gotten easier! I had 11 upper teeth extracted on 3/4 & 13 lower on 3/11. I had 6 implants placed in each jaw. The upper temp denture was screwed in on 3/4. Temp lower screwed in 3/11. Lower was too far forward, & I couldn't close as they couldn't fit behind the front denture. On 3/12 I had to go back in. It was agony. The lower was unscrewed & had no lowers for a week until a new floating lower was ready (not to be screwed on). I'm now in the wait for 4 months to begin fitting the permanent dental implants. This process is terrifying & exhausting. I too am struggling to eat. Something really helpful has been using a mini chopper for things that induce a "gag" if they're just pureed. Mashed potatoes, pudding & applesauce have become staples along with pure protein shakes. Iced blended drinks help with discomfort as has oragel mouth rinse (blue label). I'm one month of now, & can do mac n' cheese, scrambled eggs. Try to get creative & focus on what's coming. I have to believe the end result will be worth it! Love to see an update! -Angel

8 Messages

• 

210 Points

Hey Angel, Yes things have improved. I had a soft liner fitted a few weeks ago, and it is MUCH more comfortable and fits better. The dentures don't really stay in place still when I eat, but I guess my gums have toughened enough that I'm eating more food now. It's painful, but not so much pain that I can't tolerate eating. I'm still a few pounds lighter, so that is probably a good thing...lol. It sounds like you've had a tough time too. I go back the last week of April (if the office still isn't closed for the Covid-19 virus) to finally use the implants that were placed at the time of my oral surgery. That will definitely keep the bottoms from coming loose and floating, although it appears I may have to follow up with having implants placed in the top gums/dentures, to keep them from moving. You can email me at wrhc1980@yahoo.com and I can actually let you "see" an update with pictures. It sounds like you have struggled through some tough times too, but I'm also hoping your situation improves dramatically, and sooner rather than later. 

3 Messages

• 

112 Points

Great news... email sent

46 Messages

• 

766 Points

2 y ago

I agree.... first i can't imagine why you have to wait for your dentures - even as they do they implants there is healing before the complete process is done.  I have had full dentures for one year and pretty much hate them!!! I just got two posts implanted last week and i have my dentures in but have to wait three months for the rest of the procedure.  I will look at the top in a year as well.
Go for it... at your age it will be worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.7K Messages

• 

26.6K Points

2 y ago

Hey Amber,
I'm not sure if you mean full upper/lower.

A very skilled practitioner can place implants soon as your teeth are extracted but I know most offices don't like doing that. I work in a Denture Clinic for a Denturist so basically we specialize in Dentures only and sometimes are able to offer a different method and the Dental offices in our area collaborate with us. Denturists aren't legal in most states in the USA - Dentists' don't like them taking some of their "bread n butter". Oops. Did I say that out loud? :) We're in Canada. Here's what you can do and hopefully you're Dentist will agree to do this for you.

To avoid going with out any teeth at all you can start with getting an Immediate Complete Upper/Lower if you need and have the denture inserted in your mouth at your extraction appt. Then you at least have teeth to wear while your gums are healing. The fit won't be ideal at all but you'll have teeth and can eat! :) Once they are ready to insert implants you can still wear the dentures over the implants while you're implants are "healing and bonding to your bone".  Most of the time now adays it takes 3-6mths for the implants to heal. Once they are healed the Dentist will put the abutments (posts) on top of your implants and they can take impressions after that and Reline your denture and place the "housings/Sleeves" (parts) in the denture then voila you have a Snap on Denture! :) I hope this helps.

2 Messages

• 

102 Points

2 y ago

Thank you guys for commenting and giving me advice. They're a huge help! Gave me good things to think about.  :)

79 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

2 y ago

You absolutely MUST consider saving ANY healthy teeth (once they are gone they are gone forever)!!!  A healthy tooth will serve as an anchor for partial dentures ESPECIALLY lowers!  I'm not a dentist,but it seems to me that a healthy tooth firmly embedded in your jaw will be stronger and serve you better than any implant that they can screw into your jaw. I have 4 upper implants and 2 lower implants. The lower temporary denture has been a 6 month journey of disappointment and frustration. I can only hope that when I get my final fitting and snap-on teeth I will have an acceptable level of 'normal'.  Although I know I made the right decision to get dentures (I had a mouth full of broken and rotted teeth),my only regret and it is a HUGE regret ,is that I did not keep the 4 or 5 healthy teeth that would have been strong anchors,in addition to implants, for my dentures.
  Please explore ALL options,get a 2nd and 3rd opinion so you can make a better informed decision than I did. If your teeth are a serious health issue like mine were,I encourage you to bravely
 proceed !
 ...   I wish you luck and pray a safe and healthy outcome!

2 Messages

• 

112 Points

This is interesting- i do have 5 healthy upper teeth, and 2 different dentists says they must all come out...i have a partial upper and am due soon for a complete set of dentures. Your post gives me pause, and food for thought. My healthy teeth are uppers; sounds like yours are lower?
Thank you.

46 Messages

• 

766 Points

My opinion since I have had all my teeth pulled and full upper and lower dentures - if you have ANY healthy teeth keep them.  Get a partial or bridge made and have those teeth as your anchors. I have just finished have two posts implants in my lower dentures and finally after 2 1/2 years I feel they are secure and I can start to eat again.  The cost... i thought was going to be cheaper with dentures, but it is turning out to be not much different.  I had good teeth, just not many of them after years of getting them pulled when i was younger and no replacement to keep me from having my jaw and bite go completely sideways!!! So... wish I had some of my own still.. I could have just had lower dentures and kept all my top teeth but I listened to my denturist and believed him .. and wish I had kept my own!!!!
Keep asking around and seeking advice from others and then make your decision.
Jayme

2 Messages

• 

112 Points

I have an appointment with dentist this coming week and am going to be very assertive about keeping those teeth.
Thanks for the boost.
Sherry

79 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

As stated,I am only a patient ,not a medical professional. But it 'seems' like the prevailing recommendation by dentist is to "take 'em all out". Maybe there is good medical science that confirms that decision? I just don't know. I do know that when I made my decision to get implants that I was so disgusted and fed up with my broken and rotted teeth,that "take 'em all out" was exactly what I WANTED to hear. I never knew or considered there was any other option. As with all major medical procedures a person should research and investigate before making a final decision,and of course giving great weight to the advice of medical professionals. 
  Good report: I got my final snap-on dentures in February. (full set upper/lower,4 implants upper/2 lower.)  After four fittings and adjustments, I'm completely satisfied with the size of teeth, how they fit,and how they look in my mouth. I'm 90% satisfied with the function and can state that eating(chewing,biting ) is a 100% improvement compared to the years of dealing with my unhealthy teeth. Oh,and I can finally open my mouth in public without putting my hand in front of my face!
  All of the discomfort,adjustments in eating habits,and expense was WELL worth it!
I congratulate you on your decision to take action,and encourage you to be informed,be assertive and stay the course!

8 Messages

• 

210 Points

Amber, I hate to add to your confusion and I suspect you may have already made the decision. However, I would NOT recommend keeping a few teeth. If you only have a few good teeth then obviously you have a hereditary or persistent problem in maintaining healthy teeth like I did. Part of the reason to replace is to avoid pain, broken/chipped teeth, fillings, root canals, extractions, crowns, etc.. and the exorbitant costs of these. Why in the world would you go through the substantial expense of implants/dentures - and still keep some of your original teeth so that you can keep all those expenses too?! That makes no sense to me personally. If you want to forget about broken/chipped teeth, fillings, root canals, extractions, crowns, etc.. - replace them all. In the end, it will be the less expensive option.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

5 m ago

My dentist wants to do 4 posts upper and 4 posts lower after he pulls my teeth.  I am scared to death but I am at a critical point of losing two much bone due to peridental disease.  How did you guys pay for this......SO EXPENSIVE!  Did you get a loan?

241 Messages

• 

5.2K Points

5 m ago

I cannibalized my 401K.  I went to an all in one sedation dentist with a bad infection and assorted cracks and gum disease and I assumed I was heading towards dentures.  She whipped out a model of full implant supported dentures and it was a revelation to me because I didn’t know they existed.  I knew it was the only thing that would work for me and I figured if I could get through the process that I would be done with dentists once and for all.  They quoted a price of $52,000 which blew me away.  I called my daughter on the way home to ask her opinion since she had worked at a dental office for years.  She said the price was in line with the going rate so I decided to go for it.  I called the 401k people and they said oh by the way, we also have to withhold taxes which was an additional $19,000.  I did it anyway just to get my dental problems behind me.  It took about 9 months before the process was done and I spent those months with no teeth at all because the immediate dentures didn’t work for me.  Turns out, you don’t actually get dentists out of your life because I still have to see the hygienist 4 times a year for the cleanings and I just had to spend another $1200 for perio trays because my gums did not magically return to pristine with the removal of my teeth.  But the truth is, I do not have a single regret.  The bad stuff is just a memory and I can eat anything without thinking about it and I can drink freezing cold water and go outside in the cold without nerve pain in my teeth and my dental visits are not the least bit scary or unpleasant any more (other than paying the bill).  And I can smile. 

13 Messages

• 

200 Points

5 m ago

BEST ONLINE SPELL CASTER TO SOLVE ALL YOUR MARITAL AND FINANCIAL PROBLEMS WITH 100% GUARANTEED RESULTS.

My name is Rhiannon Van Ross, Early this year when I first contacted you I was 1 year into a bitter divorce battle with my husband. I thought that my marriage and family were ruined. I found your site and breathed a sigh of relief although I really didn't know how it worked. Not only did your Stop Divorce love spell work super fast for me, but you and your circle were there to help me and counsel me through every step of the process. You have helped me so much and I am happy to update you on our progress. My husband and I have reconciled and have since renewed our vows. We are stronger than ever. I am so happy that you were able to help me keep my family intact. Without you, I am not sure what I would have done.  IT WORKED FOR ME. Now I have my man back to me and he is fully faithful and dedicated to our marriage. Thank you Dr. Saruman because your spell has finally made me and my husband reunited again. Are you out there experiencing some problems in your marriage, You can reach him on his contact details.Website:https://perfectsolutiontemple.weebly.com Email: perfectsolutiontemples@gmail.com or you can chat him directly on his WhatsApp: +1 (786)-770-7977

You can reach him for the following spell work:

MONEY RITUAL
 MAKE YOUR LOVER LOVE YOU MORE
 WIN EX BACK
 FRUIT OF THE WOMB
 PROMOTION SPELL
 REVENGE SPELL
 BUSINESS SPELL
 GOOD JOB SPELL
 LOTTERY SPELL 
 COURT CASE
 HIV OR ANY TYPE OF SICKNESS

I would advise you to contact DR SARUMAN because he is the right man to help you get your problem solved.