Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

1 Message

• 

70 Points

Thu, Jun 6, 2019 12:09 AM

I am about to have all my remaining teeth pulled and will be getting dentures..

I am about to have all my remaining teeth pulled and will be getting dentures..my Dad got his through the Va and they didnt really do a very good fit for him..so he just quit wearing them and only ate soft food.. my Mom had all her top teeth pulled; but couldn't afford a upper denture..so she went without for a year! One dentist told me not to get dentures the same day..another said to get them same day..I'm confused..any help? I'm 52 and after induring having all my upper and lower teeth worked on.7,000 and all the root canals have broken..fillings coming out..I have 8 broken teeth and the rest of them are all turning black..severe dry mouth from all my meds have also contributed and I only have 1 molar on the bottom and it's a failed root canal..I'm in pain 24/7 see oral surgeon on the 19th and so now im searching up 3 price ranges to get the right fit without forking over so much money..im disabled and only my hubby works..but he makes too much for me to get help from the State of Oregon..and advice would be great..thank you

Responses

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

a year ago

to Kim Mcclain
Do not pull any of your teeth until you know everything about what you should do
Do not rush into having your teeth pulled

Read everything on these blogs and hear what every one has to say because they have been there

Read everything about dentures and over dentures and clip on dentures on the internet

Make sure you can not use partial dentures before you have  all  your teeth pulled

Go to 3 dentists that advertise free consultations and see what they suggest and what they charge and tell them you will consider it but cost is a problem

Call the dental  society in your state and tell them you have a money issue and see if they have any programs for people with low incomes
Let us know what you are considering

Good Luck

69 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

i had uppers pulled only a few teeth left and they put in  temp dentures right away i did not have any problems with swelling just mild soreness,  its been 5months and in july i will be getting real ones . go and see a different dentist they will head you straight in the right direction to take.  

146 Messages

• 

3.5K Points

a year ago

Hi Kim, I only had the top done and got immediates the same day. It was the right choice for me. I wear them morning to night. The fit isn't great. My mouth is constantly changing to there is no way it can fit perfectly. I go for a reline every month and use goop to hold it in. I'll have to deal until I can begin the permanent process at  about 6 months. Whatever you decide, we are all here to help you through it.

69 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

they put in my temps right away and im glad its was the right choice i didn't have to much swelling or pain, just soreness, i will be getting my real ones this july , i can eat salads anything almost somethings you have a hard time eating i don't like this but its better than being in pain at least its out of my mouth 

292 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

a year ago

Hi Kim
Wow it sounds like a big decision, one I had to make as well. (I took about 6 months to firmly decide). I am 53 and just had all my uppers removed the first week of February,with an immediate. I had 2 consults and made my decision from there. I really wanted to do the implants with attached partial, the average cost of 4-6 implants was about 17,000.00, although money wasn't the issue I could not justify that amount at my age, the other option was root canals and crowns, that would have been well over 8,000.00 when all was said and done, to me that option was the least appealing, so I opted for the full upper denture. With all that said, sorry for the novel...
I have had regrets, but it's getting better and I'm sure once it's finally over I will he happier. As you will read on here the process is physical, mental and emotional..I think for whatever your decision. Talk to people, family, friends, read this blog, etc ...then make your decision. Whatever you decide this site is very helpful and many of us are here to listen and/or advise, but this initial step is all yours to make. Best of luck and remember we're here, keep us posted.
Lisa

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

KIM
$17,000 is a very   high  price  for 6 implants
In NY you can get 4 implants  for less then $8,000

Another  good dentist here would Retro Fit your dentures with 2 
implants   for   $ 4 000
Or   If you go to a dental  school  any where   they will charge
even less 
if you go   to Mexico or Costa Rico is is even less then that

112 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

a year ago

Hi KIm.  I am a Brit currently living in France. When I had my teeth removed in July last year, I didn't have temporary dentures because my dentist said it would be better to wait until my gums had started to settle down after the extractions. . I had to wait until September before he was happy to start making my dentures. I didn't like being without teeth for that two months but I more or less got used to it by eating soft foods. I had my new teeth towards the end of September. The upper denture fit very well right from the start. The lower took a little longer to get used to but, by Christmas, that one, too, had settled in very well.  So far, I haven't needed to use any fixative although I take the lower denture out when I need to eat unless I'm in company,  then I just eat very carefully.

I can't advise about cost because things here in France are different from the US.  What I will say is that, whatever you decide and however much you end up paying, I wish you luck. It sounds like you have been through a lot but at least now you are on the way to becoming pain free.

292 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

a year ago

Brit....very well said!!

20 Messages

• 

478 Points

a year ago

According to all you young folks out there, I am ancient! I grew up in an age when we did not pay too much attention to dental care and as a result, we are paying now. I will be 78 soon and have just gotten my lower implants finished. I have a younger dentist and he doesn't hesitate to tell you what you need to know! My implants went in on April 6 and after a few weeks getting used to them, they are the best thing I have ever done and yes, they are pain free! Try them you will like them!!!!

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

a year ago

to Patricia Woolums Thomas
Well I have my implants over 12 years and I love them
Good luck to you
Barbara

159 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

a year ago

living in oregon-you're in a state that DENTURISTS can practice-have you gone to one-they're trained in making dentures-unlike dentists-and if you can save any teeth-save them and only get partials.  BIGGEST mistake i made in my life was listening to a dentist tell me to remove my remaining top teeth and just put in a denture-in my ignorance-i thought i'd just have a perfect smile-i'd give anything to go back and just get a partial.  

69 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

did you go to a dental school. aspen dental is over 2000.00 I had dentures uppers and 4 teeth pulled in august I get the real ones. if I have to have my lower ones pulled I don't think I can sit still that long to pull all of them

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

a year ago

To   Clydene Shipman
Do  not do a thing until you are SURE it is the right thing

Look everything up on the internet first
Discuss it here  first   BEFORE you do anything

Read what Donnie is saying to you
Try  and keep any teeth that can be  saved
Try and get  Partials instead of full dentures
OR
If  not and  you must loose all your own teeth  get   an over denture   
secured by  2  implants 
This way your dentures will never slip    and you can eat every thing

If you are short on money skip getting an immediate denture
so you do not  have to spend all that money  (on the temporary) 
on something you will never use again  and you can put that
savings toward the implants

You can also  finance implants with the  new Discover card with no interest
 and pay it off  in a year just like you pay for  cable TV or your  cell phone

By the time you get and pay for all the adhesives  you need for dentures   the implants will pay for themselves

Keep us in the loop
Good luck
Barbara

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

a year ago

Clydine
Like Donnie said also go to a denturist and find out what he will
charge you to make an over  denture or a partial denture
Get  his opinion also and tell us what he says
Ask for a free consultation