Skip to main content
Denture Living Community
C

75 Messages

• 

960 Points

Mon, Oct 26, 2020 7:35 PM

How To Clean The Gums After Extraction?

Hi everyone.    I want to ask how do you clean your gums after full extraction and no teeth?    Go you still brush with toothpaste on your bone/gums after all your teeth are all gone?   How do you keep it clean?   How do you take care of your gums right after your immediate extraction?    It would be bleeding and healing for weeks and months?

Responses

84 Messages

• 

3.9K Points

a month ago

Celestine: After my extractions 3 years ago, I began brushing my gums gently with a soft toothbrush after about 7 or 8 days. The healing was largely complete by that time, but I took it very slowly. After about 2 weeks there was no pain associated with the extractions, and brushing with a soft toothbrush felt wonderful. It still does. 

Everyone is different and heals at different rates, so the point is to take it at your own pace. Another thing that helped me through the early days was drinking smoothies or milkshakes without my dentures in. The presence of dentures reduces our ability to taste things, and even today I will remove my dentures when no one else is around and have something I do not need teeth to enjoy. Bananas, for example, taste much better without your teeth in.

Finally, salt water rinses several times a day get the healing going at a much faster rate, and removing the dentures at night is absolutely essential - in my opinion - if you want to minimize bone loss. I am so happy I made the decision to get dentures, and I think most of us in this community are. Good luck to you on your journey. Joseph

75 Messages

• 

960 Points

@joseph_83049c Joseph:  Do you brush your gums with toothpaste?  Do you brush your gums everyday?  Did you have stitches on your gums after extraction?   Did it bleed a lot after extraction?   Did you still brush your gums right after the extraction, because you said you brushed 7 or 8 days.   

84 Messages

• 

3.9K Points

Celestine: I do brush my gums with toothpaste and I have ever since the last couple of weeks after the extractions. I probably took it easy at first by brushing only with water and a soft toothbrush. But as each day went by the brushing became easier and I added toothpaste.

I had stitches which dissolved over the first week to 10 days, and they did not get in the way of the brushing, which felt better with each passing day. I do not recall any excessive bleeding, and the soft brushing did not cause further bleeding.

Again, the most important thing is to take it easy, and don't forget to use salt water rinses throughout the day to speed the healing. Good luck. Joseph