adelle's profile

5 Messages

• 

140 Points

Sat, Apr 28, 2018 10:30 AM

Having all teeth out and dentures at 34

I'm not sure if this site is still active or if there are any UK members here? Preferably looking for someone my age in the UK in my area of Newport South Wales. I know all countries and dentists etc do things differently and everyone has different experiences, even at the same age. However I'm absolutely terrified and I although it won't change anything I am looking for support and those who have been through the exact same thing.

Im nearly 34 and long story short I hadn't many full teeth left. Most are now broken so they are level with the gumline or just left in the gum. The ones that are left are broken off and sharp. Last year I got pregnant and of course my teeth and gums got even more sensitive, and half my front tooth fell out. Now the other one is almost the same.
Im sick of not being able to laugh, smile, take pics or even talk without embarrassment or covering my mouth. I hate going out because I know friends is people I don't know, even cashiers etc, will easily notice. I also often get swollen painful gums. I am feeling angry, depressed and nearly crying every single day all the time. I want to enjoy my baby, especially while she's so little (only nine weeks) and I wanted a baby forever. But this is overtaking my life and I'm so so scared. I know it needs doing but I have such an intense fear of pain, needles, dentists etc and hate people going in or around my face and mouth. I have a very low pain threshold too.
It took years and my dad persuading my dentist to put me back on the patient list to get me going back there after years and finally had a checkup couple years ago. And then an xray where you bite down on strips. He was a lovely dentist who seemed to understand and even said to relax I could bring my own cds in. He said I need to go to hospital for a more in depth xray. Something like a device you sit in the middle of he says and it xrays around you. Anyone know about this one? Do you need to take earings or anything out for it?
Anyway by the time the waiting list got to me I was newly pregnant and also my nerves were again shot so I didn't go. My dentist had probably struck me off again by now and doubt I'd find another one as nice. I can't afford to go private.
I am too embarrassed to talk to my partner or family about it. They don't know the extent of the damage done or what the dentist conversations were with me.
I phoned the dentist when I got pregnant and asked to talk to the dentist to discuss my worries and nerves as a stepping stone before coming back to the surgery, but was told by the receptionist that I'd have to make an appointment and go there, so that was that. I couldn't bring myself to go.
Any but of confidence or happiness I get is quickly shot down.
I'm scared of what would need doing befits having my teeth pulled. A deep clean with a needle? I was told I'd need a clean but not sure if it was normal clean or deep clean. Probably a deep one with a needle. I'm then scared of the surgery itself. I have to have all teeth pulled and I know they're gonna have to cut into my gums too. A lot of my gums have receeded and I'm not sure how far up or down they'll have to cut open and how flappy and horrible it'll be afterward.
I read you can have immediate dentures. I'm not sure if I can or not and don't want to be toothless. I'm scared of what I'll see when taking then out at night or to clean. Do they put immediate ones in while youre still asleep? Do they need to inject you in the gums at all afterwards for any reasons at checkups or when getting the perminent dentures?
I am mostly scared of the needles, wether they are numbing needles in the gum of wherever, iv in the hand or arm, the anesthetic itself too. Does the anaesthetic go into the iv? It'll be a general I think id be having. How long roughly would the whole surgery take of pulling all teeth and then fitting the dentures? Would I have a tube down my throat for breathing? Would I have any metal things attached still to my gums or side of my mouth when I wake up?
I'm allergic I think to penecilin so unsure wether they use that or anything similar for anything during any processes or anaesthetic? The dentist noted in allergic to it when he referred me so that's why I'm unsure why it was mentioned in case. Can I use emla numbing cream previous to the iv cannula like I did when I was in labour. I didn't feel anything but pressure then, no pain. I suppose it also depends on who does it. I have anxiety and depression and am quite chunky which I know may be a factor in increasing any risks for surgery etc. I have heart palpitations too a lot and feel weak but that's due im sure to my anxiety. During gum numbing injections etc is there any gel or cream to numb it? They're supposed to really hurt and people without needle phobia don't understand the pain and fear of even the anesthetic needles. Even my dad says it hurts and he is used to it and even injects everyday with his diabetes.
I am also mainly terrified of complications and not waking up. I know the statistics show those chances are extremely small but it nevertheless still does happen. And I have just as much chance as anyone else if being that percentage that does. And my weight may be a factor in increase too. I find it hard to lose weight as I'm so tired from the baby and of sleep. Ive never slept well. And aiart from when I went anorexic I have always been big like all my family.
I want and need to be here for my baby girl. Please help me

And I know a few who have gone under and had trouble. My mum almost died but I'm not sure what the problem was. Obviously tho as she's my mother it may increase my chances of problems or death. My ex went under and he woke up as he was breathing in the gas. I've read people don't get put under properly or long enough and still feel pain. Or they don't wake up when supposed to and out of longer with decreased oxygen getting to the brain, some wake up and feel all the pain and everything but can't move or say. I'm labour I had gas and air which didn't work and I don't think I used it properly, probably because of my teeth. What if I don't breathe it in properly again when they use the mask? Especially if I'm anxious which I will be, terrified, it may only put me out a bit or drowsy

Responses

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

3 y ago

Adelle
Hi Aelle in the UK
I am in the USA
But fear is fear no mater where you are
You can not  play out the whole Dental process. 
You  really have to take one step at a time and try no to think about
the entire process.

The first step, it sounds like is the dental  panagram XRAY where an xay machine goes around your  jaw so  the doctor/dentist can see an entire view of your  jaw and bite so he can see what is wrong.

This is painless.  It takes minutes.  There is no pain connected with it
You have to make an appointment with the dentist and
 he will get an appointment for you for the panagram
There is no point of focusing on anything  more or anything  else.

The dentist is a dentist he is not a therapist.
If you can not take the first step there is no point is driving your self crazy going  over every single
detail of the 2nd step or the 3rd step. 

If you were my sister or friend I would encourage
you to make the Dental appointment and then  go for the panogram Xray

At he same time I would make an appointment with a therapist to talk about 
walking you through the first step and the next step.

If you can not do this then you will have to live with this dental nightmare and deal
with that pain and discomfort. That will become your choice because you are in charge of yourself

You can certainly use us, this forum as theraphy and a sounding board and let us know you
progress.  Let us know if you made the first dental  appointment.
Let us also  know if you made an appointment to  see a therapist to  help you go thru this

Good Luck
Barbara

54 Messages

• 

1K Points

3 y ago

Please take a deep breath, you can do this! Everything at first that is different is very scary and unimaginable. You will be fine! I was nervous and didn't think I could make it through before starting the process but my determination carried me through to the other side. I have had 29 teeth removed and extracted for 17 days now. My immediate dentures are amazing compared to my teeth being messed up from cancer 8 years ago. I am very grateful and thankful for bearing down and making it through this process.
As far as the numbing pain, it's really not that bad! I was not put to sleep or on any sort of local anesthesia. Just numbing shots and I had little to no pain during and after from that itself. My pain came from getting my Dentures adjustments just right so it stopped rubbing sores all in my mouth. They are not perfect now but feel much better! Everyone loves my smile and confidence boost. You too can have the same affect. Be courageous and know God will carry you through. I prayed and recited songs from church to occupy my mind instead of focusing on every little noise or pull. Good luck with your adventures of being a mom and getting your beautiful smile back.
Elisha

112 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

3 y ago

Hi, Adelle.  First of all, don't think that you are alone in being scared of dentists and dental treatment.  I was a dental nurse in the UK for many years and have known grown men come into the dental surgery quaking in fear but I've watched them walk back out smiling and bearing the sticker we gave them for being brave!  The fear is very common, but people generally know that they have to get their teeth sorted out eventually and that drives them on.

It sounds as if you need to talk to someone to help you with your fears and with how you are feeling in  general. As you have just had a baby, I would think you still have a health visitor?  When I had my children, the health visitor was someone who would visit your home to check on both mother and baby and would also be on hand for the first five years of the baby's life.  I think it would be a good idea for you to contact your health visitor and ask her to call in on you.  Once you have explained everything, I am sure that she will be happy to call the dentist on your behalf and ask him to give you another chance to be on his patient list, or she may be able to suggest a different dentist in your area. Alternatively, you may have a dental hospital in your area, so you can start looking online to see if there is one and, also, if there is a local dental training school in the area. They sometimes take patients on. The dentists will be training but they will be fully supervised.

You won't have been able to have a dental x-ray while you were pregnant, but you can have one now. There is nothing at all scary about having a dental x-ray. You will have to remove earrings, necklaces and any tongue piercings if you have them.  An x-ray will be a good thing because it will show exactly what you need to have done.

Dentists can provide numbing gels (we used to call them 'magic' cream) to put on the gums before injections and, believe me, we used to have to give them to strapping great men as well as children.  They make a big difference and the dentist will be used to being asked to apply it,  If you need to have all or several of your teeth out, the dentist may well suggest this being done in hospital.  It will be a simple procedure even though it sounds daunting. Many people go through this so you are not alone.  Don't worry about waking up from the gas or anaesthetic - that is so very rare. Hospitals operate on people every single day and night and you rarely hear of anyone waking up during their operations.  It's a fear that the hospital consultant and his team will talk to you about. You will have a pre-op meeting in which you can discuss your fears. 

It also sounds to me as if you may have post-natal depression, so make an appointment with your GP and ask for his help. He may steer you towards therapy, perhaps something called 'talking therapy' where you will be able to talk through your fears. You don't have to face this alone.  At the same time, the doctor will be able to give you health advice about losing weight, as this is something that is also on your mind. A new baby will be keeping you busy now so you may well have already lost some weight.   You will get busier and busier as she becomes more active and, with summer coming up, you can take her out for walks every day.

As for fear of needles, you have just had a baby which is a massive event and a great achievement, and you have already come through that and proved yourself brave.  Your little girl needs you to be brave again and face your dental fears.   

It sounds as if everything has built up to bring you down but take one step at a time. If I was you, next week I would visit the GP to get a proper check-up, and also to make sure that your penicillin allergy is on your medical notes, and I would also phone the health visitor and go from there. She is there to make life easier for new mums as well as their babies and she will be glad to help you.

It all sounds very daunting right now but, if you take the bull by the horns, so to speak, within a few short weeks you could be out of pain, on the way to new teeth, and looking forward to a wonderful life with your daughter.  Make this the year you take control of your health so that you benefit and your daughter doesn't grow up with the fears that you have.  You've become a mum which is an amazing thing. Things can only get better.

Please keep in touch with us and let us know how you get on, and good luck to you. By the way, I am a lot older than you. I have to have several teeth out in July and although I know I am going to be a bit nervous, it's not going to stop me working towards the smile I know I want.

By the way, look for local NHS services here. You just need to put in your post code:      https://www.nhs.uk/pages/home.aspx

Kathy

4 Messages

• 

136 Points

Now who else can give you the correct info but this dental nurse, Kathy Penny! She has so much experience and definitely knows what she's saying. My wife told me having our babies was the worst pain she ever had so the dental stuff won't ever be that bad! I'm sure your gums hurt really bad now, it really can't get any worse

9 Messages

• 

192 Points

3 y ago

You are not alone in many of the fears, phobias and fear of pain. I too have anxiety. I too avoided the dentist due to always needing root canals from weak enamel , which is hereditary in my family too.
I just had all my upper teeth removed and all but six of my lower teeth removed less than three weeks ago. I won't lie, the shots are no picnic but once the medicine kicks in, you will not feel a thing, just pressure. I took a clonazepam for my anxiety 30 minutes prior to my appointment and that helped tremendously.
There was pain and swelling afterwards but nothing unbearable... the pain you have already experienced with infections, abscesses, etc., is way more painful than this.... so you can do this as long as you don't psych yourself out of it. If you decide to get this done, you will be healthier, happier and more confident. The worst part is worrying about the unknown.... which is why this site is so great - Most of us have been through it and are happier now than before. It's totally worth the minimal discomfort. The longer you wait, the more freaked out you will get. You've already been through the worst - YOU CAN DO THIS!! Good luck and GOD bless!

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

3 y ago

Adelle

Hi Adelle

Jennifer Mercado recommended taking a tranquillizer one hour before you Next dental appointment
That sounds like a really good idea

Speak to your doctor about giving you a small tranquilizer prescription one hour before any dental appointment and  you wll not be so upset and nervous.  After the visit go home and take a nap.
We are waiting to hear what you think?
Barbara

50 Messages

• 

942 Points

3 y ago

I was was nervous too, I don't have full. Dentures I have partails so I am sure it is a little diffent for me. I say go for it. Maybe someone go in with you. The shot are painful but it will okay it goes it was a hour for me. You will feel better when you get your teeth I know I do. Also use crest pro health mouth wash or act. For pain I go to aspen dental. Get care credit. I live in wisconsin good luck

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Leeann Beattie
Hi Leeann
Partials seem to work out really well
We would like to know about your partials
Whenever you can keep some   your teeth so you can use partials is
always a good thing
Barbara

50 Messages

• 

942 Points

I have 14 real left very happy some were saved my top partail is metal. Fits really nice I do have use some fixodent the bottom ii love it is flexi pllastic

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Leeann Beattie
That sounds  wonderful
Will   you ask  your dentist for an adjustment or reline (?) for the 
lower so you do not have to wear fixodent??

It sounds like you are really comfortable with this whole thing
so that   is a very good thing 
You have to try very hard to keep these teeth that you have
now so be very careful to do every thing possible to preserve  them
Barbara      

50 Messages

• 

942 Points

I don' use fixodent on the bottom. Also the densit said I am doing job with my real teeth

50 Messages

• 

942 Points

Good

5 Messages

• 

140 Points

3 y ago

Than you all very much. With the labour of my baby needle wise I only had one iv and I had numbing cream first which I'm not sure id be allowed to also use for the anaesthetic. I was told I could be put to sleep so I'm hoping I won't need any local anesthetic, needles in gums or sedatives and tranqs etc. After you have immediate dentures in you only need to wait for swelling to go down, have perminant dentures fitted and then regular checkups or adjustments for them so won't need any other treatment or any needles right? How long till I can eat solids or breastfeed?

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

3 y ago

Adelle
Hi Adelle
Good for you. You are doing well
Being put to sleep or sedated sounds like a very good idea or yu
You are taking one step at a time so that is good

Jennifer Mercado suggested a tranquilizer before you go to the procedure
That sounds like a very good idea so ask your dentist or doctor about
that
Do you have any appointments set up with your dentist?
when is your next appointment?
Keep posted and just focus on the next  step
Good luck
Barbara

5 Messages

• 

140 Points

3 y ago

Thank you. No appointments as of yet. Just thinking about it atm is more than I can handle. If I am put to sleep then that means apart from the iv cannula yin my hand or arm for the anaesthetic to put me to sleep, there won't be any needles at all before or after will there? Won't need needles in my gums to have dentures fitted or adjusted for example? I'm also hoping that they will fit immediate ones while one asleep too. Anyone know on average how long it takes to remove all teeth and fit dentures if you're asleep?

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

3 y ago

Adelle
You should talk this over with a therapist
and or talk about it with your dentist

If the dentisr  said the first thing you have to do is get a panagram   XRay then
that is what you should do Now.
The panagrm will help the dentist make a plan
That is painless

You are stuck and going around in  circles

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

3 y ago

Adelle

ask your doctor or dentist what kind  of  tranquilizer he will prescribe   for you before you  go for your  Xray or   before you go for your extractions ?  

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

3 y ago

Adelle

ask your doctor or dentist what kind  of  tranquilizer he will prescribe   for you before you  go for your  Xray or   before you go for your extractions ?  

5 Messages

• 

140 Points

3 y ago

Thank you. I'm only at the stage atm where I talk to others about their experiences. Can anyone please tell me if as far as they know there are any needles of any type in any place in the whole process (such as having dentures fitted or adjusted, etc) except for the actual iv cannula in my hand or arm for the general anaesthetic. Any that you know of

4 Messages

• 

136 Points

3 y ago

When you get your dentures fitted there is no needle or pain! If your dentures are rubbing or hurting in a spot You remove the dentures and he files them down a bit. No pain for you!!
IT'S A SNAP!

5 Messages

• 

140 Points

3 y ago

So I'll only need a general anaesthetic between now and dentures via iv cannula? Some people have said they'd rather give birth again than have the pain of the sore gums and dentures and I honestly felt like I was gonna die in labour