Skip to main content
Denture Living Community
M

2 Messages

• 

82 Points

Sun, Nov 8, 2020 12:45 PM

Dentures are coming soon

Hello all. I just so happened to come upon this website and I felt it might be a safe place to share my concerns. After years of bad fillings, multiple PAINFUL abscesses and extractions, I was finally told that my teeth are beyond reasonable repair with decay and breakage and chipping. I started to get them out when I needed multiple root canals because I can’t afford that, and I just needed to be out of pain. If you’ve been there you know. I finally braved up and had my consultation and I am going to be getting 16 extractions and a full top denture and partial on the bottom. I knew that this day would come eventually because my teeth have been bad since childhood no matter how well I maintained them - but I’m feeling blue. I’m so nervous and scared waiting to hear back from my insurance to schedule the surgery date. I have so many concerns that a lot of you have probably felt. 
what will I look like without teeth?

will they be too big?

will my gums hemmorage too bad after surgery?

Will the numbing work?

How much pain will I be in?
How likely is a dry socket?

How can I possibly keep the dentures in?

Will it all be worth it?

Will I ever feel like myself again?

I know a lot of these answers are different for everyone, and I know I’m not the only one to go through this. I am 24 years old, and both of my parents had such bad genes with their teeth too. I wish I could find some relief. It will be so good not to have the tooth aches anymore, but I know this journey is just the beginning. Thank you for listening!

Responses

84 Messages

• 

3.9K Points

24 days ago

Mrs. Hubb: I posted this rather long comment 3 years ago after I got a full upper denture and a lower partial. I think it addresses most of your concerns. My own mother lost all of her teeth before I was born due to an adverse reaction to an antibiotic. It never slowed her down. I know it must be hard to lose your teeth at such a young age, and seeing yourself without teeth the first time can be difficult. We should all try to save our natural teeth, but for some of us it simply becomes impossible. For me, it was the best thing I've ever done for my overall health. I think most of those on this website would agree. Here is the original post. Good luck to you. Joseph

I had my full upper denture and lower partial placed in March 2017. Here a few things I learned in the process that might help you.

1) Days 3-5 post extraction can be rough. After that, each day is much better than the day before. Do not be reluctant to ask your dentist for help managing the early pain, because each of us is different, and we have different reactions to pain. 

2) Four to six warm salt water rinses each day do wonders to advance healing. This will help prevent dry sockets.

3) Watch for leukoplakia. Sounds terrible, but those are the white spots that form on your gums when the denture rubs and causes soreness or pain. It's easy for the dentist to resolve, and a good dentist will respond to your needs immediately and as often as you need them to.

4) The value of "Magic Mouthwash" is marginal in my opinion, but I got some. It may have helped a little. Google it and you're find that it's nothing but something like benadryl, Maalox and a mild painkiller. The mix is over the counter. I used Orajel the first week or so, and it helped. 

5) Keep the dentures in at least 24 hours to form a bandage for the wounds. My dentist told me then to remove them at night - every night - forever. I soak them in Stain Away and it works very well. Some people soak them for a short period and sleep in them, but it's a question to ask your dentist. My advice is to take them out at night. Reducing the pressure on your gums by giving them an overnight break slows bone loss in your jaw. 

6) After about 10 days most of the wounds should have healed, and that's when I started gently brushing my gums in addition to my remaining teeth. It feels great, your mouth feels clean again and it helps get rid of shards of tooth or bone that are common and gradually work their way to the surface. They can cause some real pain, and there were days early on when I dreaded putting the upper denture in. But that passed fairly quickly. 

7) The last teeth were removed on March 8, and I took my last pain reliever on March 15 to give you an idea of what you might expect. I had 2 follow-up meetings with the dentist during the first 2 weeks to address immediate issues like leukoplakia and the occasional bone shard.

8) You will have to eat soft food for a while, and you will have to learn to eat using both sides of your mouth and your tongue. Gradually you will add harder foods to your diet, and I was more or less back to normal within 2 months. 

9) There are foods that still give me trouble, and the worst ones are the skins of fruits and vegetables. I simply can't bite into an apple with the permanent denture. As a consequence I have slowed down when I eat, I cut all foods into smaller pieces (a critical point) and I just avoid eating anything that is likely to cause problems. The good news is that I eat less, I eat fewer snacks and I'm back to my ideal weight. I have my permanent dentures now, but I still use a little adhesive when I go out to eat or when I'm speaking to groups. It gives me a greater sense of security.

10) You will have only 20 to 25% of the "bite force" you had with your natural teeth, and you will have to compensate for that. Some of us used our real teeth for a third hand, and that is over for me. We just have to find a way to do things in a different way much as those who lose a limb do. Make no mistake about this: we have suffered amputations of a critically important body part and we all have to retrain ourselves.

11) I do not know your personal circumstances, but I will say this. Do not be self-conscious about your dentures. If you have found a good dentist and a good dental lab, no one is going to know unless you tell them. And the good people of this world - the good men and women - want to see a nice smile and the good person behind it, and we could not care less if the teeth are real or the result of good dental work. If anyone you meet or know has a problem with someone wearing dentures, they are not worth spending time with anyway. 

12) Finally, some on here have had a difficult time with their dentures. Most have not. But even they have taken a positive step forward for their long-term health, since bad teeth can cause significant, even life-threatening, problems down the line. And remember this: roughly 1 in 6 adults in the US wears full dentures, and 20% over the age of 40 do. You will be a member of a large club.

The bottom line for you is this: You've made a good decision for your overall health, the pain soon will be gone, your smile will light up a room again, your self-confidence will improve and, most likely, your waistline will start heading in the right direction. At least mine did. All the best to you. The people on here are behind you 100%. Joseph

2 Messages

• 

82 Points

@joseph_83049c  thank you so much for the help!!

75 Messages

• 

960 Points

@joseph_83049c Hi Joseph.   What is Stain Away?

84 Messages

• 

3.9K Points

Search online and you'll find it at Walmart for about $5. Joseph

4 Messages

• 

102 Points

22 days ago

I'm facing dread too.  Cause my dentist yesterday told me the unthinkable. That the cavities on my upper front teeth are too bad to save. I can't face it.

But to answer a couple of your questions.

One of the teeth that I have to have removed is from a riot canal only 2 yrs ago. So that was useless.

I've had several teeth pulled. And definitely go to an oral surgeon not a regular dentist for that.  I had it done a couple of times with only novacane.  Make sure the oral surgeon gives you a RX for pain reliever.

As far as bleeding, they put gauze and you have to change it a couple of times. They should give you directions.  I bleed a little longer.

I normally take aspirin everyday for my heart.  I stopped a week or so before, it was a couple of years ago, ask your dentist how long before to stop.

I'm not going to get immediate for at least a week and some healing takes place.l

Dry socket isn't that common unless you smoke.  I did have it though 20 years ago.

Hope this helps a little.  I don't have a toothache so I don't know what I'm going to do.  I have partials now but cause I have front teeth (for now) I don't wear them.  He never did a good job 

8 Messages

• 

160 Points

19 days ago

Trust me. You are going to be through ups and downs. Everybodies Denture JOURNEY is different. Thanks for websites like this and youtube to give you some advice. It's going to be worth it at the end. Hope everything works out for you. 

(edited)

84 Messages

• 

3.9K Points

15 days ago

Celestine: A little more on Stain Away: I would not use it on metal partials, even though they say you can. It is quite effective on full acrylic dentures, and I remove mine and soak them in it overnight every night. I got my dentures in March 2017, and they look just as good as when I got them 3 and a half years ago.

They say you can soak them for as little as 5 minutes and you will be good to go. However, by removing my dentures every night and soaking them in Stain Away, I give my gums a chance to rest and it mitigates against bone loss that can give our faces the sunken look over the years. Either way, the product has worked very well for me. Good luck. Joseph