Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

3 Messages

• 

116 Points

Mon, May 27, 2019 12:49 PM

Cheek stitched to gum

Hi All, I am 37 and last week I had surgery to have all my top teeth removed due to peridontitis eroding the bone structure away quite extensively and my bottom wisdoms as they were partially erupted and severely impacted.
The swelling has come down and pain is manageable and I have an appointment to have the denture indentations done in 4 days.
Now that the swelling has come down I have been exploring with my tongue and I have discovered that on one side my cheek has been stitched to the top of the gum.
My question is will it heal this way? And if so does that mean I won't be able to properly fit the denture?
Some of the stitches have started to dissolve but not the one's securing my cheek in place.
Should I see the dentist and get them removed?

Responses

19 Messages

• 

588 Points

a year ago

Yes, get that seen by your dentist. It's his work and most drs will want to correct anything wrong like that as word of mouth is still the best advertiser. 

112 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

a year ago

It sounds like you have been through a lot so well done for that.  It may simply be that the gum has become stuck to the cheek due to fluids in the mouth, blood perhaps, but it is important that you see the dentist so that he can put the problem right.  He will want to make sure your denture fits as perfectly as possible.  Good luck to you. I hope it's something that can be put right easily.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

a year ago

It sounds like a problem to me

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

a year ago

sewing cheek to gums after widsom tooth extraction? | Student ...
https://forums.studentdoctor.net › Dental Forums [ DDS / DMD ] › Dental

Some surgeons claim that it's just a perceptual illusion due to all the ... Others claim that sewing the cheek to the gum sometimes happens by accident. ... "how dental surgeons sew wisdom tooth surgery" because I had my ...

3 Messages

• 

116 Points

a year ago

The surgery was carried out at the public hospital so I saw my dentist this morning, She said it looked like they had some difficulties as there is allot of sutures in my gums and that they would have stitched it that way to close the gap to aid the healing process and reduce the risk of dry sockets and that once the stitches dissolve it will "settle" and that it wouldn't affect denture fitting. So here's hoping the stitches dissolve by Fridays denture technician appointment or I will be waiting another week to eat solid food again.

112 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

That sounds logical, Dan. Good luck. I hope your Friday appointment with the technician goes ahead without any delays.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

a year ago

To  Dan Waite
Well that sounds OK?  Are you in the UK?
Keep us in the loop

3 Messages

• 

116 Points

a year ago

I'm in Australia. Far north Queensland