Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

54 Messages

• 

742 Points

Thu, Dec 5, 2019 8:27 AM

Can you tell me what are the reasons for Denture failure?

I want to know the reasons behind denture failure.

Responses

719 Messages

• 

11.3K Points

a year ago

You mean implants, or just not being able to wear them?

I have regulars, no implants. I made myself promise to wear them all the time other than being asleep. Just force myself to get used to them. So that’s what I’ve done for 7 months. That and support from the great people here has gotten me through it. And I have to say I’ve done well.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

a year ago

To  Monica Will 

I  do not  understand your question

What do  you mean by denture failure???

Do you mean a person gets dentures and they are too uncomoforable to use???

Do you mean they do not fit or are painful???

54 Messages

• 

742 Points

I want to know the reason behind the failure of Dental implant

1.6K Messages

• 

26K Points

Hey Monica. There are several things that can cause Implant failure.

- The body rejects the implant
- The pilot hole is too big for the implant
- The Dentist or Oral Surgeon has the "drill" being used in reverse
- Lack of Oral Care

There really isn't a most common one out of those that take place on initial placement but the most common one over long term is lack of oral care. Hope this helps. :)

162 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

Josie: Thank you so much for your helpful info re: potential causes of implant failure.
Concern @ 11 weeks post-op, re: one LL implant: tissue is still very red and inflamed, very tender & painful to any pressure, e.g. chewing, or any touchng below the gumline; a very sore & tender buccal 'bump' (from the bone on the cheek-side). Kept lower denture out as much as possible this week, to rule-out any denture-sore/irritation. Still doing warm salt water rinse & irrigation syringe. Thanks again, Josie. Gotta somehow get soon to see the surgeon, 2 hours away, to check on this implant's condition.

1.6K Messages

• 

26K Points

Thank you Theta. Did you have a post-op appt at all?

162 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

Thank you, Josie. No post-op appt at all; surgeon office said he didn't need to; he'd see in 6 months. No luck with getting any dentist closer/on-the-coast (with any implant experience) to see for followup / oversight through this process. Just the denturist locally; but of course they cannot take an xray or advise re: implants. Denturists said that no dentist will appt for followup care/oversight of another dentist's or denturists work-?

28 Messages

• 

584 Points

a year ago

I am finally going for a 2nd opinion.  What is the reason they are failing? I've been led to believe up until now it is me.  The shrinkage in my gums - yes I understand that.  It has been a year and I am having problems every single day.  I don't eat much at all - lost all LOVE of eating.  I use polident Gold three times before lunch time.  So - 6-8 times a day.  This cannot be normal.  I don't have posts implanted - maybe the next step.  Who knows but I'd love an answer as to why this is the worst decision I have made to date!!

719 Messages

• 

11.3K Points

How many relines have you had? I use polident powder once a day. It’s over seven months for me. I still have to PRY them out at night. Sounds like they could do something to improve the fit. 6/8 times reapplying per day is way too much. A lot of zinc in that amount.

28 Messages

• 

584 Points

Wow. I haven't tried the powder - is it zinc free? Reading all of the warnings - I know I'm using too much but I have no choice it seems.  Relines.. lots. I am still going to see my denturist every other week.  As of November, I was going every single week.  I can't imagine prying my dentures out.  Hopefully seeing another denturist I will get some answers.... as I said - this is just too much for me and my life has changed far too radically and I was promised so much more.
Thank you for your response.

719 Messages

• 

11.3K Points

I hate to hear that. I’ve had maybe 4 relines so far. One was because the original didn’t set up the greatest. Here’s another trick you can do, I use it for my lower that has never had a reline at all. So as you can imagine, it’s way to big. I dry it, use fixodent cream, spray water on it, shake on polident powder, shake off the excess, and put it in. At night I have to pry it out.

You might try it on yours, the combo hold like cement for me. Any questions let me know.

159 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

i made that WORST decision about 30 yrs. ago because i went to the WRONG dentist-not all dentists/prosthodontists are created equal-we have to fight for what we want-not what they 'shove in our mouth' and blame us for any problems and 'if' a denture doesn't fit and we get a reline-THAT is supposed to make it fit without glue but that seems rare now too.  

162 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

Yeah, can relate to that, Donnie. Had to 'sacrifice' 13 good, healthy teeth, no gum disease, good bone (2 were perfectly good porcelain fused to gold molar crowns, to boot) --- because due to "your budget constraints" (!!) , full extractions with full dentures was the 'best' they could offer.
Restorative would have cost double to triple the quotes. Sheesh. Out of 8 consults over a period of 4 years, necessitating lots of long distance appts., when the surgeon offered implants-secured snap-in removable dentures, for basically same ballpark $$,$$$, that made the decision there and then. While in my heart I knew it was totally wrong to have to have 13 fine and good teeth extracted; confirmed by a retired dentist friend here on the coast. But, had to accept and initiate a treatment plan before the end of this calendar year, time was running out to continue seeking viable $-wise, an acceptable conservative-restorative plan. I feel your pain and regret!

1 Message

• 

60 Points

a month ago

Failures in the lower complete denture retention with poor extension have been most frequently found (90% cases). Less frequent was a poor extension of the upper complete denture. Disbalance such as excentric occlusion and articulation blocking have been frequently found.

Do visit us:-

Ideal Dental Care