C

7 Messages

• 

254 Points

Sun, Mar 21, 2021 8:18 AM

Can you smoke and drink coffee still?

I had stopped smoking for over 20 years. I had two deaths in my family very close together and started smoking again. I’ve been smoking for about 6-8 months now. I don’t want to quit but know that I probably need to. Can you even smoke with dentures?

Im getting 19 extractions and immediate dentures in one appointment. Tentatively, I believe this Friday. So, I want to be as prepared as I can be. What about coffee? Can I still drink coffee? Is carbonated diet drinks bad?

I have a lot of diseases. Diabetes being one of them. I keep my sugar controlled by what I eat. So, eating mashed potatoes will probably be out of the question. Could I eat runny scrambled eggs?  I found Slim Fast Keto vanilla cake batter shakes, I’m hoping that I will be able to at least drink that. I had read that protein is good when healing. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I have to say that I’ve had panic attacks over this. I’m not sure how to get my emotions under control. It’s been brutal. If anyone wants to give me any tips, I would definitely appreciate it.

Responses

Accepted Solution

245 Messages

• 

4.6K Points

7 m ago

Yes, this is HUGE!  When you're in the "now" of it, it will suck rocks no matter how relatively great you do.  When you're "now", in the "before" of it, you truly cannot imagine how much on the sucky scale you will be and that cause anxiety.  In Spanish, there's a saying that goes "Tienes razon"; "You have reason".  I can tell you that my "now" is SO MUCH BETTER and I hardly remember all of the details anymore and it's just been a few years and mine was on the top side of the sucky scale with a little psychoticness of "omg, why me" thrown in.

When I hear, on here, a lot of people say they have a lot of illnesses I'm like whaaaaatttt????  I'm no doctor and I'm no judge, life is short and you should do whatever you want.

I can tell you, from my experience, you won't want to do any of those things during the first week to a month; I don't think that I actually ate any food for 4 or 5 days.  However, and especially if you are going to be smoking, I would recommend getting the immediate dentures; eating, drinking etc sucks less IN THE LONG RUN with immediates that are then replaced by permanents.  For me, well, listen, no one in their right mind wants to be experience the "me" without coffee, no one!  Also, and I assume especially if you are diabetic or for whatever reason you need to avoid magic sugars like potatoes, a blender is your very best friend.  Just about any vegetable with the right spices, Hello Mrs. Dash or nice to meet ya Bay seasoning, all pureed and heated in the microwave is a blessing during the first few months to a year or so.  For me, it was absolutely incredible to start adding hamburger or chicken in the blender after a couple of weeks, so satisfying to have protein.  

For me, it really helped to know what others were going through, what they had gone through and what their plans for the future were.  That's the thing that helped me the most, I planned incremental rewards for myself, like I used to do when my kids were growing up for them.  Also, although I didn't need to use many of them, I demanded a prescription for pain killers that I could fill before the extraction date so that I'd have them if I needed them after.  Boy am I glad I did because I was so dang tired but I couldn't sleep for the pain, the sadness and the crazyness that I felt for the first few days realizing that I had not taken care of myself enough to have let this happen.  That goes away in a few days, the post surgery sadness with any surgery and it's nice to have a way to sleep.  

245 Messages

• 

4.6K Points

Sorry, forgot to mention, I did not get my support here or on any of the forums.  If you are not "In with the ""You are the We of Us"" on this forum and once you start answering questions for people and you don't answer exactly how the little "Hallway Monitors" here think that you should answer and if you don't perfectly agree with the perspective of the people here who THINK they are some sort of "Majority", like republicans or something they will attack you like a slippery, sneaky snake that jumps out of the bushes when you are the most vulnerable!  If you are not sugary=sweet with your answers, they will call you all kinds of dirty stuff here, especially the ladies but I've had some guys call me some pretty mean stuff, so much that if they had said that stuff to me in person I would have called the police.  Barbara is the ONLY one here who doesn't suckballs as a hobby and chomp off your neck when you are strong or don't agree with her.

I went to youtube, watched a boatload of videos, commented, asked questions, GOT RESPONSES!  And then I bought every conceivable denture cleanser, glue, boxed soup, bought a used recliner to sleep head and torso up, etc., asked a ton of people in person how they got through it, they all said about the same thing "time heals all" and that's what helped me get through it and maybe what will help you.

7 Messages

• 

254 Points

I truly appreciate you! I posted the first time here and felt more attacked than supported. I’m glad to know that there are people like you here! I have been checking out some YouTube videos and it has helped me feel a little more prepared. I’ve wanted to reach out to a few and ask about their experience but have hesitated. I think I might now! The panic I’m feeling beforehand is crazy! For one thing, I’m getting 19 extractions and immediate dentures the same day. And, not under sedation. My teeth give me so much pain and the infection in my jaw causes all sorts of problems. I know this is a wise decision but scary nonetheless.

I do need to get a blender for sure! Everyone is telling me to get sugar free pudding, sugar free ice cream and sugar free shakes. All I can think is that’s sweet, sweet and more sweet! I’m a meat eater, I crave that protein more than anything sweet. I know this is probably going to be a long road, I just wish I was on the other side already, lol!

I have been encouraged by the fact that no one has said they regretted their decision. Everyone says that they are glad they did it and their life is better now. I’m sure there will be many depressing, sucky adjustments and time. Thank you for taking the time to write me back, you really helped!

(edited)

61 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

How is your gag reflex? I have a terrible, strong gag reflex. When I was healed enough to suck on straws again, or cigarettes, the motion pulled my dentures backwards just slightly enough to trigger the gag. 

Same kind of thing would happen when talking, gag reflex!

It just takes a little time to learn how to relax, breath, and you'll be fine.

Getting used to dentures is a process, sometimes uncomfortable, sometimes painful. But on the bright side: no more painful Dentist Visits! No more painful cleanings, no more painful fillings!

7 Messages

• 

254 Points

My gag reflex isn’t bad but I think it will definitely take some getting used to for the dentures. The dentist said to expect gagging while talking for awhile. Thank you though for your words of encouragement, it means a lot to me!

Accepted Solution

46 Messages

• 

766 Points

7 m ago

I ate a lot of mashed potatoes, soups of every kind - lots of ice cream.. mind you since you have to watch your sugars there is still so much you can eat.  Yes, coffee is fine - tea too!  and of course.. wine!!!!

Protein shakes for sure or smoothies but watch the seeds from your fruits.. they are the devil with recent extractions and with dentures!!!! 

You will lose weight and you will get tired of eating soft foods but in the end, it will all be worth it!!! Promise!!!

7 Messages

• 

254 Points

If I wasn’t diabetic, I think mashed potatoes might be all I’d eat! I love mashed potatoes! I may get to the point with weight loss where I don’t have to be as concerned about the carb intake. I bought some slim fast keto shakes. I read upping your protein intake can help the healing process. Thank you for the warning about the seeds! I wouldn’t have thought of that! Coffee, tea and wine may be my three best friends, lol! Thank you for replying, I truly appreciate it!

1.7K Messages

• 

26.6K Points

I'm not a diabetic so I'm not sure if these suggestions will help: cottage cheese, smoothies (yes watch the seeds), watch for anything hot! Be mindful as your going to have your palate covered with a full denture and if your coffee, tea is too hot you will burn your palate. Maybe just stick to vino! ;)  Soups are good, scrambled eggs, pasta, meatloaf.  Yes getting dentures can cause weight loss. This is the time to get creative with food. Cheese burger soup is soooo yummy!

7 Messages

• 

254 Points

All very good advice! I have always wanted to try cheeseburger soup and I love meatloaf! Yay! Now I actually have ideas of things I can eat that aren’t sweet! Thank you very much! :)

4 Messages

• 

106 Points

2 m ago

Thanks for all the great ideas for food, both from this post and many others.  I’m not a sweet eater but I love my pasta and mashed potatoes and meatloaf … and was getting a bit concerned with having to balance my DH’s vociferous appetite and my inability to eat for a few days or . . 😳 I will be making a couple of freezer soups to depend on along with my hummus snacks, avocado & seafood salad, mac & cheese, Alaska smoked salmon, and much more that I am creating a list and shopping ahead for. I ❤️ my food!  I hope I don’t lose weight as I’m only about 110# now.  
Top only for now anyway.  Really appreciate all the tips/advice so many have provided.  Not a great deal of sound and practical/down to earth info has been easy to find.  Many thanks to you all.