Skip to main content
Denture Living Community
C

79 Messages

• 

1K Points

Thu, Dec 3, 2020 3:03 PM

Bone Loss and Receded Gums

Does anyone have bone loss or receded gums that prevent you to have dentures?  I’m in deep trouble.  My dentist said dentures will not hold due to bone loss and receded gums from periodontal disease 

Responses

239 Messages

• 

5.2K Points

3 m ago

My gums had receded into another zip code.  My solution was to get 11 implants to hold my full mouth dentures. They added bone before doing the implants and so far, so good. 

79 Messages

• 

1K Points

@janet_0e8ba6 How much did your gums receded?  Mine are so bad that you see the roots of my teeth.   How did they add bone to your mouth before getting implants?   

239 Messages

• 

5.2K Points

Well I’m not sure about my roots but my gums had exposed a lot of tooth that wasn’t supposed to be showing. And I had extreme sensitivity to hot and cold and sugar coming from the exposed areas. Bone grafts are done a lot when they are going to do implants. When they extracted my teeth, they just stick little pieces of bone (not mine) in the holes and you wait a few months for it to grow into your other bone. Then they do the implants. 

79 Messages

• 

1K Points

@janet_0e8ba6 where do they get the bones for bone graft before they put implants?  

239 Messages

• 

5.2K Points

I’m not sure. I didn’t really want to know. I guess either cadavers or animals. Maybe someone here knows?  It’s pretty common to get the bone grafts.