sydney_024238's profile

1 Message

• 

90 Points

Thu, Feb 14, 2019 6:47 PM

24yrs old getting full extraction and immediate dentures what should I expect?

I am 24 year old female who only just had my FIRST cavity at 20. Somehow my teeth have begun to crack ane break off and fallbout. Kinda like those nightmares you have when you start spitting out your teeth or the fall out in fhw sink? My worst nightmare has become my reality. I have went to several dentist and denture places. One place told me they'd have to pull ALL OF THEM snd then they would put the top and bottome dentures in immediately after the surgery costing about 7 grand with 5 year warranty with adjustment. The other place (aspen) told me they could do two implant on each side top and bottom and then have a partial or denture to fit into or arohnd it. But with them i would have to do all this extra stuff whoch isn't nessicary and ridiculous and would cost over 20 grand (including insurance) I'm just so scared and I feel like it's nit fair. I'm 24 yeats old and should be having the peak of my life living it up going out and doing stuff with friends and now I have isolated myslef and just go to work and go straight home I don't talk and definitely never smile when i talk i have yo be conscious on how I am talking and if they can see them. I am scared to have all my teeth removed. I feel like I don't have all the facts or know my options. I just don't want to be in pain anymore, I want to smile and talk again and feel like a human being and be able to go out with my family and not have to miss holidays because I'm too self conscious. Can someone ANYONE PLEASE help me please! Any advice, direction or stories would help me more than you know. I have no one to talk to that understands. I just need some direction on what I should do. Are there other options other than just taking them all out and getting dentures? What is it like afyer surgeey? Does it hurt to wear them? Can people tell I have them? What dentist should i be talking to?

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

3 y ago

Hi I’m going to be as honest as can be. Today marks my 7 week after all teeth extracted and immediately put in dentures. The first week was horrible it was painful couldn’t eat much 2nd week a little better. It takes getting used to it but by the 3rd week I saw the light. By the 4 I could eat just about anything and smile
Now in 7 th week I’m glad I did it I have very small pain when I chew hard food bit I feel like I’m human again. So you bring young I’m sure you can do it like a champion
The initial. Taking out of the teeth was painless. So. That’s my story hope it helps good luck

46 Messages

• 

766 Points

good for you that you can eat ANYTHING ?? Really.. that's amazing.  I'm over three years in and I certainly cannot eat anything that I would like.

And you are correct in that having all my teeth out was the easiest part of this very long journey.

3 Messages

• 

84 Points

It's only been a few days for me.  I gagged when I took out my  temporary  dentures.  The snell was horrible.   My gums were like mush!!!! I'm glad there's an end to the tunnel right now im not feeling it.  I even cried last night.

1 Message

• 

100 Points

3 y ago

Sydney, first let me say how sorry I am that you are going through this. That being said, please, do ANYTHING and everything you can to avoid dentures. I had all of my teeth extracted one year ago, due to years of gum disease. Teeth were breaking and finally a front bottom tooth just fell out. I had a huge infection in my bone and gums all the time. I was constantly on antibiotics. Let me say, It has been a nightmare, and still is. Dentures are uncomfortable and a real pain to deal with. Life as you know it will change dramatically. I am unable to eat the simplest things like nuts, raw vegetables, most meats. I can’t bite anything....I have to eat everything with a fork and knife. Drinking something can cause your dentures to loosen. Laughing can also loosen them. I have to reapply denture adhesive several times a day. Forget kissing. That has been a humiliating experience.
I don’t even look like myself any more.... the shape of my face is forever changed due to bone loss, which happens very rapidly after full extractions. Get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions....go to a dental college....anything to save your teeth. Implants are the next best thing, but I have gotten quotes upwards of $50,000. In Dentistry, you truly get what you pay for.
Avoid cut rate denture places such as Affordable Dentures.... I’ve seen other horror stories on this site about them, in multiple locations.
You are very young, too young to have to face 60+ years dealing with dentures. Good luck!

26 Messages

• 

512 Points

I agree with you 100% Rebecca.. Get many opinions before any extractions.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I didn't have a choice over the past teo months they been pulling mine i just had the last 12 pulled in the front on top and bottom with immediate dentures in. I'm 25 and it hurts to talk eat anything but I'm only 3 days into it

94 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

@rebecca_585d66 Hi Rebecca.    You said you lost your teeth due to gum disease.     Do you have full dentures top and bottom?   I have periodontal disease.    I’m scared about losing my teeth soon.   Did you have bone loss due to gum disease?    Did your teeth showed the roots of your teeth before extraction?    How many teeth did you get extracted all at once?    I’m going to lose all my teeth soon and I’m scared to death.     

3 Messages

• 

84 Points

@melvin_tyler_moudy​ I'm 50 and had my.top done last Thursday.   It has been the worse. I have the same feelings I don't even wanna talk to anyone.   The smell of my temporary  are horrible  and I took them out once and I can't stand the feel of my  gums.  I gagged alot thought I was going to throw up.  It was the worse. Good luck

89 Messages

• 

3.9K Points

3 y ago

Sydney: I posted this a year ago for someone else like you. It's long, but I tried to address - honestly - the challenges we face as denture wearers. I hope it helps you. All the best. Joseph

The pain is manageable, and your decision to resolve your dental issues is one of the best you've ever made. No one who is honest will tell you it will be easy, but the rewards are significant. My experience was that the first 2 days were not too bad, days 3 to 5 were more difficult but not terrible, and I used my last OTC pain relief on day 7. At day 10 the healing was more or less complete, and I began gently brushing my gums with a soft toothbrush.

During the first 14 days I went to the dentist twice to deal with leukoplakia. Those are the white spots on the gums where the denture is rubbing. Your dentist can manage this quickly and easily for you. Lukewarm salt water rinses beginning the first day are essential to accelerate the healing, and I did 4 to 6 each day. Some find that "magic mouthwash" helps. There's nothing to it; it's just benadryl, Maalox and a mild OTC pain reliever mixed together. Ask your dentist about it.

You may, as almost all of us do, find shards of tooth or bone working their way to the surface of your gums during the first few weeks. Most of the time they resolve themselves. Regular brushing helps, and a trip to the dentist could be necessary. You will be eating soft foods for a while, but you will be amazed how quickly you'll return to a normal diet. After getting my dentures, I've slowed down my eating, I take smaller portions and I've returned to my ideal weight.

I believe you're going to find that your experience will be similar to mine and others: it wasn't nearly as bad as we thought it might be; it wasn't long before we returned to normal; we are convinced that this was the best decision we could have made for our long-term health; and our families have been behind us every step of the way. Good luck. You will be just fine. Joseph

A second post with details: I had my full upper denture and lower partial placed in March 2017. Here a few things I learned in the process that might help you.

1) Days 3-5 post extraction can be rough. After that, each day is much better than the day before. Do not be reluctant to ask your dentist for help managing the early pain, because each of us is different, and we have different reactions to pain.

2) Four to six warm salt water rinses each day do wonders to advance healing.

3) Watch for leukoplakia. Sounds terrible, but those are the white spots that form on your gums when the denture rubs and causes soreness or pain. It's easy for the dentist to resolve, and a good dentist will respond to your needs immediately and as often as you need them to.

4) The value of "Magic Mouthwash" is marginal in my opinion, but I got some. It may have helped a little. Google it and you're find that it's nothing but something like benadryl, Maalox and a mild painkiller. The mix is over the counter. I used Orajel the first week or so, and it helped.

5) Keep the dentures in at least 24 hours to form a bandage for the wounds. My dentist told me then to remove them at night - every night - forever. I soak them in Stain Away and it works very well. Some people soak them for a short period and sleep in them, but it's a question to ask your dentist. My advice is to take them out at night. Reducing the pressure on your gums by giving them an overnight break slows bone loss in your jaw.

6) After about 10 days most of the wounds should have healed, and that's when I started gently brushing my gums in addition to my remaining teeth. It feels great, your mouth feels clean again and it helps get rid of shards of tooth or bone that are common and gradually work their way to the surface. They can cause some real pain, and there were days early on when I dreaded putting the upper denture in. But that passed fairly quickly.

7) The last teeth were removed on March 8, and I took my last pain reliever on March 15 to give you an idea of what you might expect. I had 2 follow-up meetings with the dentist during the first 2 weeks to address immediate issues like leukoplakia and the occasional bone shard.

8) You will have to eat soft food for a while, and you will have to learn to eat using both sides of your mouth and your tongue. Gradually you will add harder foods to your diet, and I was more or less back to normal within 2 months.

9) There are foods that still give me trouble, and the worst ones are the skins of fruits and vegetables. I simply can't bite into an apple with the permanent denture. As a consequence I have slowed down when I eat, I cut all foods into smaller pieces (a critical point) and I just avoid eating anything that is likely to cause problems. The good news is that I eat less, I eat fewer snacks and I'm back to my ideal weight. I have my permanent dentures now, but I still use a little adhesive when I go out to eat or when I'm speaking to groups. It gives me a greater sense of security.

10) You will have only 20 to 25% of the "bite force" you had with your natural teeth, and you will have to compensate for that. Some of us used our real teeth for a third hand, and that is over for me. We just have to find a way to do things in a different way much as those who lose a limb do. Make no mistake about this: we have suffered amputations of a critically important body part and we all have to retrain ourselves.

11) I do not know your personal circumstances, but I will say this. Do not be self-conscious about your dentures. If you have found a good dentist and a good dental lab, no one is going to know unless you tell them. And the good people of this world - the good men and women - want to see a nice smile and the good person behind it, and we could not care less if the teeth are real or the result of good dental work. If anyone you meet or know has a problem with someone wearing dentures, they are not worth spending time with anyway.

12) Finally, some on here have had a difficult time with their dentures. Most have not. But even they have taken a positive step forward for their long-term health, since bad teeth can cause significant, even life-threatening, problems down the line. And remember this: roughly 1 in 6 adults in the US wears full dentures, and 20% over the age of 40 do. You will be a member of a large club.

The bottom line for you is this: You've made a good decision for your overall health, the pain soon will be gone, your smile will light up a room again, your self-confidence will improve and, most likely, your waistline will start heading in the right direction. At least mine did. All the best to you. The people on here are behind you 100%. Joseph

69 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

I'm going on a month now. I had 4 upper teeth with dentures after they pulled them, it went fine ,and aspen dental and the staff was real nice, its been a month now I'm still getting use to eating with them, look for discount etc. and go and see aspen dental, hey} its better than being in pain , once there are out ,you'll feel so much better, I had wired jaw surgery ,having my teeth pulled was so much better. good luck 

2 Messages

• 

72 Points

Get another opinion dentures are a last resort if you do it make sure to get a bone grafts so.your face won't sag as much and easier to get implants if you get dentures get cosmetic dentures they look very real but it's still hard to eat

5 Messages

• 

114 Points

@joseph_83049c thatnk you so much for your thorough and very kind response. Also, and especially for saying could not care less, rather than "could" which is such a common, nails on the chalkboard mistake.

I'll be 41 soon and after a lifetime of dental issues, I'm so tempted to take the plunge.

Anyway, thanks. :)

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

3 y ago

Sydney
Before you do anything please research all your options
A really good thing would be to go to a dental college where 
you can get a complete consultation not motivated by money hopefully
Research this before you make a decision
What kind of medical insurance do you have and do you have any dental insurance
What state do you live in,   Read everything about dentures and implants and partial dentures on the internet
Let us know what next steps you are considering
Good luck

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Sydney
What I also  wanted to say is partial dentures or bridges are so much better and more comfortable then full dentures
Your first aim should be to do every thing to avoid full dentures if that is possible   
Having some of you own teeth to anchor a denture or bridge on to is so much better for you

2 Messages

• 

72 Points

3 y ago

I got my upper teeth pulled at 25 leaving just two teeth so i have a partial denture. The clasps at the back fit nice and securely. I knew someone who had full dentures and she was able to bite into an apple and everything. You couldn't tell she had them. Well 10 years later and i forget i have them in too! I had no problems with dating, kissing, oral etc.. i met my hubby a year after getting them and i feel my confidence increased as i looked better. Never noticed any difference facially either. I can imagine u are worried about dating etc.. if someone judges you for that be it a friend / partner just cut them loose! Yes you will be self conscious to start with but i can guarantee you will forget about them! I've had to remund my husband a couple of times I have them! Good luck!

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Donna
Partial dentures are a whole other thing then full dentures
They are so much better then full dentures   so you really can not compare them to full   dentures
Take very good care of your own remaining teeth because they are the reason you are doing so well

The next best thing if you have no remaining teeth is an over denture attached to implants which  are more expensive

Good Luck and thanks for sharing

2 Messages

• 

72 Points

Away to get the remaining teeth capped so they last longer. Got a new dentist as the dentist i had moved city so i avoided my new one for a year and a half! But he is really good and i am glad i feel comfortable with him!

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

2 y ago

I'm 37 years old. 2 days ago I had all of my upper teeth extracted with no anesthesia just local. I went exactly through the same experience where my teeth just began rotting and breaking out. I've dealt with embarrassing teeth for about 8 years before I absolutely had to have something done. Because i am a former pain pill addict taking suboxone they would not give me anesthesia. So, my extraction was terrible. Then they immediately put in my temporary denture. The worst part for me has been the pain of my denture rubbing against my gums. It's really pretty bad. My dentist wants me to wait before he does any kind of adjustment to make sure all my swelling has kind of gone down. The salt water rinses are the most helpful for me. They are really just instant relief. I was lucky that I had a friend who had to have the same surgery and denture placement a few years ago, so I knew what to expect. She also made me realize that I would be able to get through it. And you will get through it, too. Good luck and try not to worry too much!!

27 Messages

• 

330 Points

@Ahughes how are you feeling now? I had my teeth pull and put in immediate full upper and lower dentures. I can’t even eat soft food. Whenever I tried to eat, the bottom denture hurts my gum. I want to try to eat without dentures. I am going back next Saturday for post follow up. I would like to get more info of how you get through this in the first couple weeks. Also hope u have no swollen by now. 

1 Message

• 

60 Points

2 y ago

Oh my gosh hunny, I went through so much of what your going through, but I was a little bit older.  I’m falling asleep but, I’d love to talk to you some more.  Feel free to email me at cuteliltiffers@aol.com and I’ll try and get back to you as soon as I can.  In the meantime,hang in there

20 Messages

• 

290 Points

2 y ago

Hi there!

I to am young with dentures 😩 I am 35 and have been having dental problems for about 7 years. Medication I am on was the cause of my dental issues and since then my life has been a nightmare. This past Wednesday (4 days ago) I had the last of my remaining upper teeth removed. I only had my two front teeth and the one next to my front teeth left. And they were in awful shape. I know what it is like not to smile, to talk so your mouth doesn’t open much, to be in constant pain. Because I only had 3 teeth extracted my post-Op has been a little different than others as I am not in as much pain because I didn’t have a ton of teeth extracted. When you first put them in it will be kind of soar because you have exposed wounds from extraction. Once they are in place and secure they don’t hurt. If they do hurt I put orajel on my lip right above the extraction site so that the area is numb. So far this has worked really well for me! I live with my boyfriend and he has no idea I have dentures. He knows I had work done on my teeth and that I now HAVE teeth but I think he thinks they are implants. He hasn’t asked and I haven’t said anything lol. I just go in the bathroom do my cleaning and brushing and put them back in. My denture which is only the upper fits really well without adhesive. I do use a little adhesive just so they don’t move at all because the friction of them moving on my gums where the extraction was is uncomfortable. 

Make sure you know and fully understand what dental options you have before taking all your teeth out! You have options and make sure you are fully aware of each of them! Do what makes you feel comfortable and what will be best for your life! Don’t worry about what people think or what people say. Just know that whatever you decide as far as dentures or implants you will be able to smile with confidence again! I cried when I saw myself for the first time with my teeth. It was amazing to see myself again the way I looked before dental issues. And I didn’t do this for anyone else, I did it for myself and my health. 

If you have any questions feel free to let me know! I can send you a pic of what my teeth look like as well and you can tell me if they look like dentures lol good luck with whatever you choose to do!

3 Messages

• 

104 Points

2 y ago

I didn't feel anything as they give you pills that make you loopy.  If I had to do it over I would not pull my bottom teeth but would the top.  I regret that I didn't explore partials or implants for the bottom teeth.  Top teeth are pretty easy to deal with as the denture stays in place good or with a little denture powder on it.  Maybe  just do your top teeth and slowly deal with your bottom teeth, getting them fixed one at a time.  

1 Message

• 

60 Points

2 y ago

I found a grant through a dental school I was eligible for because I had no medical or dental insurance. It's worth asking your nearest dental school. I was able to have 22 teeth extracted and surgical covered. I only paid for the dentures which were 900. I'm only 35, never used drugs and have had lifelong genetic tooth problems. Invest in buying soft liner kits and a dremel and just be careful to make temporary adjustments to the soft lining during healing phase. I feel like I've been able to sit my temporary dentures much better than the dentist's because I know exactly what I want them to look like and if I mess up I can pull out all the soft liner and try again. 

4 Messages

• 

104 Points

1 y ago

I am twenty four years old and I do not have any teeth at all left. I had to get them all pulled due to grinding, recurrent decay, and the tooth sockets and bones not forming right in my mouth. I was so depressed about all of it until after when I realized the constant headaches and antibiotics and abscesses were gone! It was definitely worth it. I’ve been without top and bottom teeth for about a little over a month now and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, even though it’s been the hardest. You will get through this, I promise! Just know that you are not alone!

46 Messages

• 

766 Points

1 y ago

Way all your options.  If you can spend 20,000 on dentures then can you find a way to keep as many of your own teeth?? I would....don't go the full "pull all your teeth out" unless there is NO OTHER OPTION!!! You are way too young to have to make this decision.  

If it is the only one - get posts for the bottom full dentures right away.  Save yourself the pain of another surgery.  This was a great decision for me but I waited over 3 years to do it.  

I cannot get post implants for the top dentures because I don't have the bone structure so without major surgery to take bone from my hip... etc.. etc.. and another $16,000 and 3 1/2 years of healing... so I'm sticking with the full palate of plastic (YUK) and not enjoying eating one bit any more.. and using product.  

They just don't tell you all this at the beginning they DO NOT!!!! And how can they - all the dentists and denturists have their own teeth.  It's like a man telling you how easy it is to a have a natural birth . or a birth of any kind!! Really!! :) lol

hang in there... and be careful about your decision - once all those teeth are out.. that's if my friend.

5 Messages

• 

114 Points

I think the $20,000 was an estimate, not something she was considering but that was such a good point: IF you can afford that, certainly there's got to be a better alternative than a full extraction.

10 Messages

• 

150 Points

9 m ago

When you first put them in it will be kind of soar because you have exposed wounds from extraction. Once they are in place and secure they don’t hurt. If they do hurt I put orajel on my lip right above the extraction site so that the area is numb. So far this has worked really well for me! - Concrete Finishing