Skip to main content
Denture Living Community
Carrots 's profile

3 Messages

• 

92 Points

Thu, Sep 17, 2020 10:33 AM

Normalcy?

I had my top teeth surgically removed 6 days ago. I know it's early days, I do... but will there be a time when this weird upper denture doesn't hurt? Or feel normal?

I have a lot of shame here. No one but my immediate family knows. 

I would expect acute pain, aching, now. But please tell me it gets better? I haven't had anything solid yet. Nut milk and orange juice. 

Responses

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

7 m ago

It gets better. I was where you are 5 years ago. 

3 Messages

• 

92 Points

Thank you very much.  

47 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

7 m ago

Yes, it does get better. It varies from person to person. For me, Im 2 and a half years into all teeth extracted and full dentures. Hellish pain, intense shame, yes all of that. It has been a slow, excrutiating process but not everyone experiences it that bad, so hopefully you fall into that category. If not, there are a lot of people on here in a lot of threads with great tips and advice. 2 1/2 years later they will still rub the insides of my lips raw and are uncomfortable hunks of plastic jammed in my mouth but it is better, slow but sure. Good luck

3 Messages

• 

92 Points

Not a lot of hope there, though I appreciate you sharing with me. Thank you. 

46 Messages

• 

766 Points

18 d ago

Oh dear.. you have some time to go before you are eating solids and actually enjoying them.  I lived on smoothies and yogurt/ice cream/protein shakes.  Don't try to early to eat much.  I am 4 years into my full upper/lower dentures and just NOW enjoying life again.  They don't tell you this... and I still have issues at times but I've just learned how to eat all over again. I will tell you in all honesty - I have lost the joy of eating all together - again, not ONE person ever shared this with me.  I look better, yes - my jaw pain and problems with my bite - all gone - but it does take a very long time - I don't care what anyone tells you. It's like those woman that have a 10 lb baby - gained no weight during pregnancy and are in their skinny jeans day after giving birth -- YEAH! (it does happen to the very few - god bless them) BUT .... not normal.

Hang in there.. do NOT rush hard/solid foods yet - you are way too early in to try it.  Take your time and do it slowly

1 Message

• 

60 Points

2 d ago

I am ten years into having full upper and partial lower dentures. The 1st year was the hardest. The pain was the worst for the 1st couple of weeks.  Your gums are very soft and it takes a while to "toughen them up" as my dentist put it so even when the post op pain was over it was very uncomfortable putting them in every morning for several months. Eventually it got better. After a year your gums will shrink enough that you will need to have them "realigned" (add padding of a sort) to make them fit well again. You'll probably have to realign every few years. But it is very worth it to take this extra step. After my 1st realignment I no longer had to use adhesive, and still don't. And yes there is an element of "shame" or embarrassment with dentures, especially if you are younger. But realize a lot of people have them and you will never know because they dont tell. So no one is going to realize you have them unless you tell them. Trust me the people who matter (loved ones) dont care or give a thought to your dentures as much as you do. Heck, my husband kisses me full on the mouth with or without dentures in.  Good luck and know it will get better.