Skip to main content
Denture Living Community
C

68 Messages

• 

890 Points

Tue, Oct 6, 2020 4:36 AM

What Food Do You Eat Without Dentures?

Hi Everyone.    I was wondering if your dentures are falling off and adhesive does not work,  what food do you eat without the dentures? How do you manage to eat?   I’m going to have the same problem when I lose all my teeth.

Responses

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

25 days ago

So I’m 6 days in after full mouth extraction. Even though I was able to get immediate dentures, I can’t eat with them in, so I take them out. So far, for me, meats are a no. I can eat noodles if they are cooked extremely tender and I’m able to eat bread as long as it’s soft. I started with mainly soup and mashed potatoes and milkshakes. I have read that once you toughen up your gums that you can pretty much eat anything you want. But I also read that eating without teeth causes the jaw a lot of strain and work and that is overall bad for your health. 
I would definitely start soft and then work your way up. According to other posters, after time, your diet isn’t limited to much but nuts and hard candy. 

68 Messages

• 

890 Points

@dandelily You said you are 6 days in after full mouth extraction.   How many teeth did you get extracted all at once?  What was wrong with your teeth that you had to get full mouth extraction?    Mine is periodontal disease.   Do you have bone loss or receded gums?

23 Messages

• 

292 Points

I have had my teeth out over 3 months I have top dentures and they want stay it dose not matter what I eat they come out 

68 Messages

• 

890 Points

Do they come out because of bone loss?  No bone to hold dentures?

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

I got 25 extracted. I had severe enamel deterioration from 4 pregnancies. They just took everything out of me and nothing I did seemed to work. Even root canals. I was getting infections in my jaw every other month. It was necessary for my overall health. I did not have receding gums or periodontal disease. I was just had really bad teeth. 

23 Messages

• 

292 Points

I have bone in my mouth but my gums are very small and the dentures don't hold onto them 

18 Messages

• 

312 Points

16 days ago

Cotton Candy. It melts in your mouth. Course I’m on Day 13. 

18 Messages

• 

312 Points

16 days ago

I’m on Day 13. Today I ate a hotdog, very carefully, a grilled cheese sandwich and French fries. Takes me a long time but I refuse to not try. I have full upper and a bottom partial, but can’t wear the partial due to pain and waiting on a reline appointment. 

12 Messages

• 

174 Points

16 days ago

I'm 61 and had severe gum disease so had all the upper teeth removed. I'm on day 6 of full upper extractions, same day, healing denture. I made sure I took my pain meds the first 3 days, I literally had no pain. Eating has been a challenge. I have an immersion blender that has worked wonderful. I eat yogurt, smoothies with fruit, leafy spinach, protein powder and yogurt, all blended. I froze a bunch to have on hand, before my surgery. I also use the blender to mix cooked oatmeal with a banana added, for breakfast. Applesauce goes down good. I also blend broccoli soup, bean soup. I cannot wear my teeth while eating. They slip around, and I can't get the reline done for another week yet. Also the roof of my mouth is sore. I still have all the sutures in, they will dissolve but I have to rinse my mouth good, and use a diluted peroxide. I also drink the Atkins protein shakes. I get full, but I really miss eating a sandwich or something that's not runny. Good luck!

68 Messages

• 

890 Points

@Grammabobbie How do you make smoothies?    Do you add milk and fruit and put it in a blender?    What kind of smoothies do you make, can you please tell me in detail?   I’ve never had a smoothie before.

12 Messages

• 

174 Points

I use plain yogurt as a base. I add 1 cup yogurt, a handful of spinach leaves, a 1/2 cup frozen fruit, or fresh blueberries, or strawberries, banana, a little honey or stevia. I also add protein powder. Blend in a blender. I make a huge batch and freeze in individual cups. There are many recipes online. Good luck.

68 Messages

• 

890 Points

@Grammabobbie Hi Grammabobbie,   Can you please email me at jednorog@hotmail.ca,  so I can ask you about your experience with dentures and making food to eat without dentures?    Please email me.    Celestine.

12 Messages

• 

174 Points

Sorry, I can't do that. Any questions, please ask here, I'm new to this too!

68 Messages

• 

890 Points

@Grammabobbie Do You have bottom dentures as well?    You said you had gum disease.  Did your gums receded that you have no bone or gums to hold your dentures in?

62 Messages

• 

726 Points

15 days ago

I had chicken noodle soup (minus meat), soft boiled eggs, ice cream (I got sick of real quick), fast food shakes, applesauce, jello, pudding, pretty much baby food. Oh and potatoes too, baked and mashed. No teeth needed if mashed good enough.

12 Messages

• 

174 Points

My mouth is still too tender to actually bite down on anything, even a limp noodle. I've tried soft eggs, but I had to mash fine so I could just swallow from a spoon. Mash potatoes/gravy are my favorite.

62 Messages

• 

726 Points

yeah it pretty much took time. Mine were tender for 3 weeks, but ice cream and smooth stuff helped. I even tried smoothies, things like instant breakfast shakes too. That's at least until your first reline. I could still eat after that, gagged though. It took a couple more weeks before I started eating some things harder like french fries. Relines make a big difference. The first weeks, drooling was non-stop lol.

68 Messages

• 

890 Points

@melissa_tolson Do you eat the same thing everyday?    Do you get sick of eating the same food all the time?   I’m going to face the same problem when I get my teeth extracted.

62 Messages

• 

726 Points

@Celestine when I first got them it was mainly liquid. Week 3, I ventured into eating soft boiled eggs and mashed potatoes. First few weeks, mouth still tasted like blood. It was jello, pudding. Applesauce, ice (lol),meal replacement shakes, smoothies, shakes from McDonald’s. I got sick it first week. I was wanting all my favorite old foods. Ribs, steak, fries. I forced myself to wear dentures and by week 5-6, I was teaching myself to eat fries. After 60 days, I talked harder stuff, lime chicken, tacos, hamburgers, etc. I’m 161 days pos op. (May20th) this year was my surgery. I still struggle with some things, but not a lot. I even eat tomatoes, cucumbers, but’s, cake, mac n cheese. Most of the foods I couldn’t eat before 😊

235 Messages

• 

5.2K Points

3 days ago

I went 9 months eating with no teeth and I found that you can put pretty much anything into the food processor and make it easy to eat.  I was very happy the day I got chicken salad from the deli and puréed it and discovered it tasted just the same as it did when I had teeth.  Also was delighted to discover you could easily eat cheesecake as is.  And I got to eating ritz crackers with cream cheese because that cracker in particular  will crush easily using your tongue against the roof of your mouth.

my son is in between extraction and snap ons ( for the last year) and he can literally eat Almost anything with no teeth.  Pizza, no problem. Hamburgers, sandwiches etc. no idea how he manages to do it.

68 Messages

• 

890 Points

@janet_0e8ba6 Hi Janet.   Did you lose all your teeth, top and bottom?   All of them? Or do you have some remaining?   What kind of food processor do you use, do you have the brand name?    Can you recommend a good one to me?

235 Messages

• 

5.2K Points

Hi Celestine. I did have all top and bottom teeth extracted. I got 11 implants and permanently screwed on dentures after all was said and done but that process took a while. 

the food processor I have is a kitchen aid brand and seems to purée anything. Mine is at least 20 years old but I think kitchen aids are just fabulous appliances. 

68 Messages

• 

890 Points

@janet_0e8ba6 Is your food processor a blender?   Or is it a real food processor?  I’m just making sure that I’m looking at the right food processor on Amazon.    There’s  a blender and a food processor in Kitchen Aid brand.   Do you know what model is your food processor?