Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

20 Messages

• 

342 Points

Sat, Oct 24, 2020 6:24 AM

Weight Loss Anyone?

Hello everyone.  I'm on Day 24.  Full tops and bottom partials.  Very slowly but surely, I am learning how to eat.  There have been some successes and a lot of failures.  I am learning that my food choice needs to change in order to be more comfortable.  Well, as I stand in the midst of this steep learning curve regarding eating, I have lost weight over the  past 24 days.  I have lost 10 pounds.  Oh, don't worry about me, I needed to lost weight.  Not sure this is the best way to do it, but with so many limitations thus far, weight loss, I'm assuming is the natural reaction.  Sep 30th, I weighed 261 lbs.  E-day was Oct 1st.  And today I weighed in at 251 lbs.  So, I'm wondering about all of you?  Did you lose weight also?  If you don't mind sharing, that'd be nice.  If you did lost weight, how much and in how many days, weeks, or months?  If you lost weight, did you gain it back and if so, how?  

Thank you!  I'm enjoying this community.  It's a really nice support system.

Responses

84 Messages

• 

3.9K Points

a month ago

This is a test message. The website is not letting me sign in to respond. Joseph

84 Messages

• 

3.9K Points

I tried responding earlier, but the response was deleted. Let me try again. I was precisely in your place back in 2017 when I got a full upper denture and a lower partial. I did lose weight over the course of the first 2 or 3 months, primarily because my eating habits changed significantly as a result of the dentures.

In an effort to adapt to the dentures, I changed the way I eat. I learned to chew on both sides of my mouth (the pain was gone), to cut food into small pieces and to eat much more slowly. These changes alone stopped me from eating too much, and I felt full much sooner. As a result I lost about 12% of my body weight, and my BMI went to 22.

My eating habits changed permanently, and I have maintained a healthy weight ever since.

After about 2 months I found I could eat pretty much anything that I wanted, but I had to realize that dentures only give us about 20% of the bite force of our natural teeth. As a result if I try to bite into an apple or any other hard food, my upper denture will simply come loose - even with adhesive. Everyone is different, and you'll learn what does and doesn't work for you.

Make no mistake about it. Getting dentures changes your life - but for me it was for the best. I believe that if you have a good dentist and a competent denturist your experience will most likely be a positive one.

As a denture wearer we are members of a large club, and almost 20% of those over 40 wear them. The first days and weeks can be tough, but the rewards are many: a wonderful smile, better overall health and a chance to bring your weight under control. Good luck to you. Joseph

27 Messages

• 

330 Points

a month ago

Today is my 15th day with full upper and lower dentures.  I lost about 10 lbs since August. That was when I started the dental visit. The stress definitely made a partial contribution to my weight loss. I have been eating noodle soup and drinking smoothies. I can’t bite or chew yet. But I was able to eat some sashimi today. 

77 Messages

• 

990 Points

@Aprill2018 How do you take care of your gums after eating?   Do you still brush your gums with toothpaste to keep it clean?   Or rinse with mouthwash?   

27 Messages

• 

330 Points

I rinse my mouth with salt water. I use soft brush and baby gum wipes to clean my gum at night. I don’t use toothpaste. My gum is still heeling, will ask dentist when I see him later this week.