Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

8 Messages

• 

820 Points

Sun, Oct 16, 2016 8:29 PM

Removed Pallet from Upper Denture

Got dentures but they insisted on giving me an upper pallet, blocking tongue from roof of mouth.  I bought a Dremel Tool and used the plastic cutter with a little olive oil to cut out the center pallet.  I used a Dremel sanding drum to smooth edges.  I had no Dremel experience whatsoever but it was a breeze; no problems.  I did have to rig a little jig, to hold the denture. So far works great with Fixodent Plus.

Responses

26 Messages

• 

490 Points

4 years ago

Thtat sounds interesting but how do your teeth stay in especially when you eat?

8 Messages

• 

230 Points

adhesive - if I did not remove that I gag...so I cannot eat regardless unless I removed it

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

Mine stay in except for eating.

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

Hi Deb, are you now saying your upper horse shoe wont stay in so you can eat?? I thought you were able to eat with it in ??

13 Messages

• 

380 Points

I am so excited i was not wearing the dentures i could not eat or talk and was gagging all the time. I removed the upper pallet and used poliygrip i look great feel great. You must do this. Its supper easy. Going to try enclosing pictures. If not text me your phone number and i will send pictures

13 Messages

• 

380 Points

I then trimmed it with the dremel tool to make it smooth

8 Messages

• 

820 Points

4 years ago

The Fixodent plus locks in my uppers, rock solid.  I'm not sure that would apply to everyone, and denture professionals always say that implants are needed if you remove the pallet.  But I don't have implants and it still seems to work perfectly.

I had courage to cut out the pallet because when I had it, I could barely get my dentures out even after many hours; the Fixodent plus had them locked in so very well.

14 Messages

• 

452 Points

Well maybe you didn't need the fixodent to hold in your dentures. I never wear anything to hold in my uppers and I've had them for 40 years. Just need something for bottoms

347 Messages

• 

8.2K Points

I finally made it that level also. Took 2 years to get top to stay without adhesive. Finally!

143 Messages

• 

3.6K Points

Good for you!!  Hope it keeps working out.

3 Messages

• 

112 Points

Maybe that's what I need to do...get a Dremel and do a little adjusting for myself!  Thanks for the thought!

9 Messages

• 

198 Points

If my dentist won’t curve and reduce my upper plate, I have been considering the dremm route as well but I know I will need most of the pallet because my gumline is like a roller coaster.

347 Messages

• 

8.2K Points

4 years ago

Could you take a picture of denture?

8 Messages

• 

230 Points

I have not removed it completely but cut it down far enough to keep me from gagging and to be able to touch the roof of my mouth and taste. I need to work on it a bit because it is too thick.  This is just a temp set so I feel at liberty to work with them....I have actually removed 1/4 of the upper pallet and this seems to have done the job for me. Now I need to work on the 1/8" thickness that it has created. I cannot upload a photo because it says my image is too large but you can message me on my FB page and I can send you one that way. Starla Harmon Ryer

1 Message

• 

120 Points

I posted here at the bottom of this page about 5 months ago. I still do not regret cutting out the top denture. As for pictures I think the ones on this page represent the norm. I just used a marker to show about a 1" U leaving a lot of the sides. Used the dremmel disk to lightly etch the line and then cutting down slowly so as not to chip or slip. If you can handle an electric screw driver then there should be no problem. There are other tool ends for finishing the process of smoothing and rounding. I have experience with a dremmel but have never had a learning problem other than trying to do a precise job too fast. I would give it about a half hour. I think about half my tongue in the front contacts the denture. That is really no problem. It is a good thing to cut as little as you need while leaving all the sides and some of the top for extra support. I have temp dentures and have no thoughts of moving on to any others but I did get expensive temps and they are stronger and look good.

I have no regrets at all. You still need to keep up with relining as you go because no amount of glue will keep a loose denture in place for long and your bone structure may not be as even or level as it should be (you chew on one side and the other pops down). Before you attempt this you should be sure to have about as much upper bone as you do lower. If you do not have anything much to grab onto up there then you may need that pallet to help hold. I have fairly good bone all around though a bit uneven on top. After these 5 months I can eat pretty much anything and the dentures are like normal teeth and I can taste things again.

1 Message

• 

80 Points

I'm constantly gagging....especially when I talk or when I'm thirsty. And it's so thick there's not enough room for my tongue to move to pronounce words properly, much less food...I sound like I have a lisp or speech Impediment. Guess I'll be digging out the Dremel too.

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

Call your dentist he/she can trim the palate back a little bit to stop that from happening . If you do it yourself and remove to much you will lose the suction.

347 Messages

• 

8.2K Points

4 years ago

347 Messages

• 

8.2K Points

4 years ago

1 Message

• 

62 Points

4 years ago

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE TOOL YOU USED I WANNA DO MINE ALSO

8 Messages

• 

820 Points

4 years ago

Yes, I'll try to take a picture of the denture and some others of the tools.  I have to make an adjustment to the denture first; one edge is a bit hard on my tongue; it works okay but there could be long-term tongue irritation problems.  Hope to post pictures in a few days, maybe sooner.

(About what denture professionals would say about this:) There are many examples of professions and vocations developing blind spots.  One example: Decades ago physicians would bleed their patients to help cure them; now we know that was wrong.  I believe there are many cases where upper dentures would fix well without the pallet, because of improved adhesives and maybe other factors.  But I think denture professionals are blind to that possibility.  Not criticizing them, just trying to understand.

The tool is a Dremel 4000 but other rotary tool models would likely work too.  The cutting was done with the little cutoff wheel that is marked "Plastic."  A little drum with probably a 60 grit sandpaper was used to smooth things.  NOTE THAT IF YOU HAVE PREPAID ADJUSTMENTS COMING, AS WITH AFFORDABLE DENTURES' plans, this cutting might be seen by them as invalidating their obligation.  I'll also try to send pictures of the jig that I rigged to hold the denture in place during cutting.

4 Messages

• 

142 Points

Do you think if I removed the palate that a soft liner would still work?

14 Messages

• 

286 Points

I don't see whyyy it wouldn't..... I didn't get a softliner the dayyy I got myy palate cut because apparantlyyy I alreadyyy got 2 and I am onlyy aloowed one more before I have to payyy for them but......sure ...it should work. I am loving myyy palate cut. It's sooooooo much better for eating and there's no more gagging on too much plastic. I'm not rushing to take them out after work. I LOVE IT!!

2 Messages

• 

72 Points

that service is not cheap either

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

I told my dentist about this my dentures give me such a bad headache I can only wear them for 2 hours she is researching this for me can you show pics of your denture, do you still wear the horseshoe one??

2 Messages

• 

94 Points

They actually make upper dentures without the palate......they are called Horseshoe Dentures

259 Messages

• 

6.1K Points

4 years ago

It would be my luck I would cut them wrong and break them

8 Messages

• 

820 Points

4 years ago

I fixed the tongue thing and have a camera coming to take pictures (believe it or not, I have no cell phone).  Will post pics soon.  The cutting job was a little tricky and I did have to proceed carefully. 

INSTEAD OF YOURSELF, maybe someone in your circle of friends knows a model rail hobbyist; they are often handy with rotary tools.  Woodworkers and other kinds of hobbyists are also sometimes handy with rotary tools.  I had no experience with rotary tools but I was able to achieve success.  But then too I have always been kind of a general handyman.

I am thinking to contact denture providers with these two suggestions:  (1) Tell patients, "Bring in your palleted upper and we'll make a non-palleted copy for $X; then you take both home and see what works best.  (2) Provide new patients will an option to take home two uppers, one palleted and one not, for an extra charge.

347 Messages

• 

8.2K Points

4 years ago

A question: what is the advantage of cutting denture?

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

if you read the comment's it will help let you know the problems it solved.  Mostly with gagging, not tasting food, feeling a hard shield on the roof of your mouth, speaking funny..etc