stephen_nelson's profile

8 Messages

• 

820 Points

Sun, Oct 16, 2016 8:29 PM

Removed Pallet from Upper Denture

Got dentures but they insisted on giving me an upper pallet, blocking tongue from roof of mouth.  I bought a Dremel Tool and used the plastic cutter with a little olive oil to cut out the center pallet.  I used a Dremel sanding drum to smooth edges.  I had no Dremel experience whatsoever but it was a breeze; no problems.  I did have to rig a little jig, to hold the denture. So far works great with Fixodent Plus.

30 Messages

• 

758 Points

4 y ago

Hi Deb H...., I am getting a complete upper and partial lower,.they wanted to yank all the lowers out so I got a second opinion and they are doing the partial lower which is what I wanted to begin with but they are predominantly on one side,..I dont know how this is all going to end up but will see,..I only have 4 more to be pulled top at this point and have been walking around like this for over a year since all the others were pulled hoping the healing time to be less since for the immediate uppers nyway thats my story,..I also have a high palate,..

1 Message

• 

62 Points

I'm in the exact senario as you 4 upper teeth getting pulled this week and a partial on the bottom . I'm scared... terrified. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ty in advance

1 Message

• 

100 Points

4 y ago

I think it's great that you found something to work for you <3 I would however not be so quick to suggest it to others because if it doesn't and they ruin the denture or damage it extensively it will probably no longer be covered under any warranty or may not even be able to be fixed leaving them needing a whole new denture entirely. Not everyones mouth will be able to accomodate it. Small adjustments like if there's a small bump pushing in causing pain when you can't get into see the dentist with a dremel or very fine sand paper is completely different than actually attempting to change the shape of your denture. While most say they won't do the horseshoe because you lose suction. There are still some that would be willing to do it for you as long as they make sure you are aware of the risks and the new issues it may bring. I imagine they'd have you sign something stating that you are aware of everything and giving up the right to have them make a new denture at no cost if for some reason you find it indeed does not work for you. I agree you don't necessarily need implants though. I have an extremely severe gag reflex. There are even certain textures of foods I can't eat because it triggers it. I honestly couldn't even put my denture in my mouth without violently throwing up. I thought my only option was going to be either just going toothless or somehow figuring out how to pay for implants and neither of those choices were viable. So I asked my denturist if horseshoeing was an option. He too was worried about the suction capabilities being lost. I was dead set that there was absolutely no other option than to have sofmething without a pallet but shockingly the gagging wasn't happening because the pallet was the issue. I was gagging because I was literally choking on my own tongue. It needed to be tweaked on the bottom to give my tongue more room to talk and eat. He also did smoothe out the back so my tongue was less likely to feel it as I kept feeling it on the back of the tongue. I guess I hold my tongue in a weird way. My point is, yes it may feel like you have no other options. And that may very well be true, maybe that is the only way that will work. But I gotta tell ya, I wish I had thought of this all sooner. I haven't had a single issue with gagging since from my dentures. I have suction on the bottom holding it so tightly you'd swear there were implants underneath them holding them secure. Please try other options before you go to this solution. I say this as someone that wishes someone had said the same to me so I could have been less focused on gagging and more focussed on coming up with a solution to make it stop. I know I couldn't afford another set if something happened, and some people can't wear adhesives. Some people don't know they can't use adhesives. It would be devastating to find out after you've done this and then be stuck with something you can't use without the means to buy something to replace them. I'm not telling people not to do this, I'm just saying look into what your options truly are, it may not even be what you think is wrong which is why you haven't found a solution yet. Ask questions, Be proactive and fight for your own health and well being, not only just for the issues that need corrected right now but the future as well. I see so many people on youtube doing major adjustments on their own and the problem is that people watch these and assume that this is so easy to do on their own, or that this works for everyone. No two mouths are the same. If you are really deadset on the idea by all means. Speak to your dentist and see what he can do. Or even check out Jo's dentures, they do horseshoe uppers by request I believe and it's a whole lot cheaper than throwing thousands of dollars out the window because you thought you could do it on your own and regardless there is no guarantee that if you do it will be successful, just my two cents, take it for what it's worth. 

259 Messages

• 

6.1K Points

I agree.  A good dentist will explore all options and explain the ups and downs before putting your denture at risk. Anything  you do yourself (including having someone else alter it) will void any warranty.  

1 Message

• 

100 Points

I had my lower teeth pulled a year ago and went through the whole works like everyone does. I did my own relines which I got from the local supermarket and they last a few months. I also use adhesive (polligrip) and I am used to the taste plus I don't use all that much. If you are careful to use just a little and use your finger to cover all the areas instead of just squirting out lines as they show you I find it holds much better and doesn't squirt out the edges for you to eat. I will be trying one of the newer non petroleum or whatever types that are not supposed to disolve the first time you drink something. I should also say that I have fairly good bone structure and do not require new bone.

Now this year I had the uppers pulled and after two weeks I still could not eat, barely could talk and actually would start to gag after an hour. It hurt to eat and the pain was half because of the pallet pushing on the roof of my mouth. Yes I did go in and have them cut it a bit because at first I could not wear it at all without gagging.

Now after reading this list I decided to cut the pallet out with a dremmel. I am fully aware that I could lose strength and support. I know that the pallet section gives suction though it did not help me much at two weeks as the swelling was down a lot and I can see a reline coming soon. I decided that if I destroyed the thing I would just cough up the extra cash for a new one cause anything is better than nothing. I just cannot do the pallet cover.

I know how to use one but they are really easy to use anyway. I cut only the middle inch and did not go all the way to the front. I took example from the picture someone posted here. It didn't look like much but in your mouth everything tiny seems huge. Anyway, it worked fine for me. I can eat and talk and all pain is gone. For the moment I have better suction than I did before but as I said I use glue and I did so before trying to eat and it was as solid as the bottom. I know they will not come out tonight.

I realize this may not be for everyone. I realize that I will likely always use glue and may even need to use it more often. I also realize that my mouth is now comfortable, no pain and I can talk normal aside from an annoying whistle on my Sss. Doing relines is a pain but soon I will do a hard reline and it will be easier. In the end a little maint on my part is a small price to pay for a full set of teeth. I may also cut a little bit more out but time will tell.

I will leave you with some possible good advice. I got my dentures from a reputable place that specializes in them for $1500 each. I could have got them for $800 each through my plan but wasn't sure of the quality. Probably there are much cheaper out there. What I did NOT do was let them pull my teeth. I got a "dental plan" off the net (just do a search) and pay $15 a month for a list of a hundred or so dentists in my area that use this discount plan. Regular pulls were $80 and surgical were $110. That was half of what it costs anywhere else here in Alaska. So I could have saved more on dentures I suppose but I saved about $2000 in extractions. $6000 roughly for all.

Still, by all means discuss this with your dentist as there may be some that will help you and I know money is tight for most people. I have always been a diy kind of guy and am willing to take the risk instead of arguing with the dentist and going in multiple times as they cut off a centimeter. I also have a healthy credit card.

8 Messages

• 

242 Points

Thank you. It is very comforting knowing I'm not the only one who has difficulty with the full pallet. I get discouraged when the denture techs keep saying you have to get used to it. I cannot, as I gag, cant speak or eat. I will definitely be pushy to get adjustments I need.

1 Message

• 

84 Points

Donna,

I hate to give you bad news but I've had my dentures for 4 years and still can't speak right.  I would love to know what to do but my dentist just doesn't understand.  He's very nice but not sure he gets what is going on in my mouth.  I would love to just correctly again.  It's so embarrasing!!!  Any suggestions out there???

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

Cracked denture

48 Messages

• 

252 Points

3 y ago

Get profit of the most healthy denture adhesive cream in the world with up to 45% OFF before Winter Sale ends up at https://shop.olivafix.com/

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

3 y ago

Mary Wendling any update on your horse shoe denture journey???

89 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

3 y ago

I just horseshoed 2 of my set of dentures and it is fantastic.

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

3 y ago

I spent 6 months without teeth, because of crappy dentures and bone spurs, I finally got dentures that fit 2 months ago and I have done nothing but struggle, cant eat, cant stand the back of the denture touching the roof of my mouth, after 5 hours they gotta come out, I finally took out my dremel and horseshoed my palate, OMG the last two days I have been able to wear them for most of the day 9-10 hours and I was able to eat, I cut everything up very small, but I DID IT FINALLY!!! Maybe there is hope after all, since september when I had the extractions this has been a nitemare. I am using a paste and the fixodent powder and the top hasnt moved a bit, my bottom teeth I did have to reapply product half way thru the day, I can deal with that. I FEEL HUMAN AGAIN what an amazing difference.

89 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

Yes, it is amazing isn't it?  Many of the members in Do Your Own Dentures Fb group have  removed the upper palate.

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

I honestly think if I didnt do that I would never be able to eat with them or wear them long term, I still get another set in 4 months they should be thinner and have better quality teeth so I will be doing the same with them and hope to be eating everything I love, which isnt much so this has been really hard Im down to 95 pounds , so eating the last 2 days has been awesome. Just take a little at a time and then I bought the do it yourself reline kit for $6 at walmart used 1 on both upper and lower so they have a slight liner .

55 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

Ask for a horseshoe upper to begin with. My current one was made that way by affordable dentures. If you are successfully wearing it they should not argue.

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

I went there, they wouldnt make me a pair, I did have a pair of their cheapest dentures made though and practiced on them first , so I actually have 2 sets now and will soon have the third I can horse shoe. Cause I have them for affordable, my immediates that I just got at 6 months cause of issues, and I will be getting my permanents in a few months, so Im just hopeful that even though I had to do it myself its working . FINALLY I WANT A PASTRAMI SANDWICH SO BAD LOL

55 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

I get it at first but if you are ALREADY successful with one you stand a better chance they will. I'd try again. The way the professionals polish them is amazing

11 Messages

• 

246 Points

2 y ago

It would be wonderful if the rich would join this group and have raffles for one lucky person to get implants. Hopefully more would join.
That would be a life changer to someone lucky.
We would all be happy if you joined us. It would be like playing Bingo. Please join us.
You would make a difference in someone’s life and we would all raffle in to see who won.
This would be so exciting. If you know someone, pass the word!! Life is a journey;)

2 Messages

• 

72 Points

2 y ago

If you research those implants...you tube and health centered sites you will feel blessed that you do no have them. If you make your own dentures they will fit like a glove and you can have as many sets as you need and adjust them to work very well.

9 Messages

• 

200 Points

2 y ago

I had two pretty inexpensive "mini implants" put in the bottom and now all I do is click the lower denture in and no more problems with them coming loose. Ask your dentist about these "minis". They're great!

9 Messages

• 

200 Points

I just had two of those minis put in the bottom too and they work really well. They're also a LOT less expensive than the full implants.

54 Messages

• 

742 Points

2 y ago

If your denturist has given you a thorough oral examination and pronounced your lower dentition in good shape, but you have teeth in your upper dental ridge that are either already gone or in need of removal, then upper dentures may be all you require.

32 Messages

• 

372 Points

2 y ago

The palate plate on the upper denture can irritate your mouth. It may even trigger gagging. The palate on your dentures is also responsible for difficulty with taste, since it blocks the upper palate, which plays an important role in your sense of taste. Fortunately, with dental implants, you can get rid of that palate plate on your dentures once and for all.

5 Messages

• 

120 Points

Doc? Why are the denture implants soo expensive? I mean its not like they are high tech. They don't take much longer to implant but they are 2 or 3 times the price of standard dentures.

89 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

They charge because they can. I would not have an implant even if they would pay me.  They are bad for the human body and they can be problematic with expensive upkeep even if they did work out. Read up on them. Watch some you tubers who have had problems with them. You are blessed if you cannot afford them.

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

Woody A - I'm about to get my permanent dentures that I already paid for when I got my temporary dentures. They suggested that I could get implants now and save the cost of the denture down the line. So with the denture part already paid for, the cost of just the implants to hold the horseshoe denture is estimated to be $16k after I pay $500 for a consult AFTER INSURANCE. Oh and that $500 just tells me whether I'm even a candidate for implants so, yes, it's spendy.

63 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

1 y ago

My uppers stay in no problem. My problem is that lowers. I can’t keep them in without gluing them in and if I drink anything they won’t stay in. I would give my right arm to be able to function with them

20 Messages

• 

290 Points

1 y ago

Hey Stephen! I’m going to my dentist today and telling them I constantly feel sick and am getting pressure headaches and need my upper palate shaved down drastically or removed! If they don’t do it can we chat one on one so I can get step by step in depth instructions to remove it myself? Will taking the palate off hell me not to feel nauseous? I can’t take it anymore! Driving me nuts!

89 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

If you dremel the upper to horse shoe go very slowly. Take of a very little bit at a time and rinse and try it in. Just go until you stop the gag factor. In the do your Own Dentures Fb group there is info in the search and files.

2 Messages

• 

80 Points

9 m ago

I just read about what you did and thought wow what a great idea.....I have this small hack saw and tried cutting out the pallet and I just couldn't get it to cut through the hard plastic so I'm going to Walmart and get me a dremel set up 

Thanks alot for the idea.....

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

9 m ago

Do your research at Google