stephen_nelson's profile

8 Messages

• 

820 Points

Sun, Oct 16, 2016 8:29 PM

Removed Pallet from Upper Denture

Got dentures but they insisted on giving me an upper pallet, blocking tongue from roof of mouth.  I bought a Dremel Tool and used the plastic cutter with a little olive oil to cut out the center pallet.  I used a Dremel sanding drum to smooth edges.  I had no Dremel experience whatsoever but it was a breeze; no problems.  I did have to rig a little jig, to hold the denture. So far works great with Fixodent Plus.

Responses

8 Messages

• 

820 Points

5 y ago

I removed the center pallet area from my brand new upper denture.  I found it was intolerable.  Now, without the center pallet area, my upper dentures hold fast (with fixodent plus).  My entire mouth is better without the central pallet area of the upper denture.

4 Messages

• 

100 Points

wat if u cant get the tool to try to take the pallett off is their like anything elese i would be able to use that might work?

259 Messages

• 

6.1K Points

I wouldn't do that myself.  If you damage your denture, your insurance may not cover to have it fixed.  Fixing or replacing  a denture can be expensive,

14 Messages

• 

286 Points

I agree...... I would just go back to the dentist and let them do it. Myyy dentist is doing it for me when I am healed enough.....

55 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

I use dremels everyday in my job. I used my immediate denture to practice on. Then. My acrylic my dentist made that I despised...i made it into a horseshoe as well and it's fabulous. I polished the edges and used a diamond wheel to make it.

14 Messages

• 

286 Points

Wow!!! That is sooooo great for youuu!! I am going back to the dentist on Tuesdayyy of next week. I prayyy she does that for me!! I can't stand this plastic either. I'm doing wayyy better with them except for the bottoms alwayyys come loose when eating. I feel like I use a shit-ton of adhesive. The tops are alwayys good but the bottoms always come loose. I'm happyyy for youu Debi.....please pray that Tuesday's visit has me leaving a VERY HAPPY GIRL!!

8 Messages

• 

820 Points

5 y ago

This is a no-login free link to the pictures, in a .pdf file on Google Docs.  A down-arrow icon at upper right can be used to download the .pdf to your hard drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0P-9kr85GKNSnlzdFctS0RmakU

9 Messages

• 

200 Points

I too DETEST my full palate (NOT spelled pallet, BTW). I've had it for 8 months and it's still horrible. I've lost about 50% of my ability to taste, it feels terribly uncomfortable to have that hunk of plastic stuck in my mouth and I take it out many times a day just to get away from the discomfort and the intrusive feeling I get from it.  When I remove it, it's always covered with thick, gooey spit that has built up on the surface. ICK! I've done a LOT of research on having the center part of the palate removed and everything points me in the direction of getting this done. I've told my prosthodontist I want him to do this procedure and he's very much against it. He says that (1) it will move around in my mouth and (2) food will build up underneath the palate and I'll have to take it out and clean it often throughout the day. But I already remove it a lot just to get some relief from wearing it. I think he's finally ready to give in to my request, though he doesn't really approve. He is an excellent dentist with a specialty in prosthodontics and has a great reputation. I'm confident that when he does remove the center part he will do a very good job and will make every effort to create a good and comfortable fit. He's very proud of his work and has over 40 years experience. He wants to keep the fine reputation he's built up and will do his very best to do so. I admire the people who have taken the DIY route but am too chicken to try it. I just CAN'T WAIT to get this big bulky thing out of my mouth and feel comfortable again! I'll write again after he does the work and give you people a thorough report on the results, both pro and con (if there are any cons). Should be a couple of months before everything's done and I've worn it for awhile).

8 Messages

• 

230 Points

I took a dremmel to my original teeth...took a ton of bulk off, polished them up with a fingernail polisher - then went to Russel Klien in Etsy and got ultra thin dentures custom made by him for a fraction of the cost I paid to look like a monkey mouth - here I am at my last birthday dinner and no one can tell I have dentures - https://www.etsy.com/market/russell_klein_dentures

8 Messages

• 

150 Points

@stephen_nelson great picture just seen them thats how i'm thinking about doing mines i'm pretty good with the dremel but they said it would void my warrant? this is my first set i get a better set at 6 months so i really want to see how this is going to work,

4 Messages

• 

166 Points

4 y ago

So you have no trouble with them coming loose when you eat? I want to do this but I'm scared too. I am having such a horrible time trying to get used to wearing this top denture. I just don't think I will ever get used to having all this plastic in my mouth.

8 Messages

• 

820 Points

They never really did stay in very well.  Eventually I left them out and changed to a soft diet, which is practical for me but not most people.  Then later I got implants and dentures mounted on those.  Those stay in well, but cost a lot, of course.

26 Messages

• 

540 Points

stephen - the denture that you cut the centre pallet out of - is that an implant mounted denture?

8 Messages

• 

820 Points

No, it was a regular denture that I cut.

Later I got implant mounted, but never cut the implant mounted.  When I got the implant mounted made I emphasized that I wanted minimum pallet, and they included reinforcing metal in the implant mounted denture, to make sure that it would be strong even though it did not have much pallet.

32 Messages

• 

680 Points

In your second post you stated that with Fixodent Plus your cut denture worked "perfectly", yet in your post above you state that never did stay in very well.

Having no pallet would make many denture wearers more comfortable but saying that something works when it does not is irresponsible.

People read these posts for months and even years after they originally posted.
You should retract the statement so that other people don't go in and cut out their denture only to find out that it "never really stays in".
Because I know if I had done that I could not afford to go and get an implant like you did Nor would my health allow me to do so.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Did your dentist do the horseshoe or did you do it? I have so much trouble with the pallet that I can't stand to wear my teeth. I want to do this but afraid it won't stay tight without the suction.

259 Messages

• 

6.1K Points

3 y ago

I agree with Deb Dennis.  I would remove the post and pictures so others won't try it.  

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

3 y ago

I have a horseshoe upper as do many others. Been wearing it for months. Love love love it. I can eat anything. Literally. Anything, except corn on the cobb. Today I was eating starbursts. Yesterday robin's egg candy . No popping. No slipping.

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

I had sore throats, constat trouble swallowing and other issues with a full palate. I use poli grip powder adhesive. Its amazing the difference.

259 Messages

• 

6.1K Points

I didn’t know they could be made that way.

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

They can, but not everyone's mouth can accomodate them. Mine has a super high palate, so this fits perfectly.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

How do you cut the palate off

2 Messages

• 

92 Points

Sounds like my problem and I love the what you have done!

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

3 y ago

Horsehoe uppers are actually very common overseas and with some old school dentists. If you have an extreme arch or extreme gag reflex this style is preferred. Wont work for everyone perhaps but tgey DO work.

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

3 y ago

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

This video shows me eating with my horseshoe...

14 Messages

• 

286 Points

Oh myyyy GOD!!! Debi! You have given me soooooo much hope. I got my dentures a week ago......I went back for one adjustment. She gave me a softliner because I had sooo much pain and she cut the plate back alittle because I was gagging! I can't use adhesives yet because I still have stitches for another couple weeks.....I'm gonna ask her to cut the plate back even more so I can feel the roof of myyy mouth all the wayyy - LIKE YOURS!!!! You don't have implants - do youuuu???? It's just dentures???? I'm PRAYING that it's just dentures and you're using adhesive......

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

Just dentures and adhesive.

239 Messages

• 

5.2K Points

Thats amazing Debi.  Your lowers are your real teeth right?  I think that would make all the difference in chewing like that.

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

I have 9 lowers. But the plate doesn't loosen. People always say it will loosen and no way it stays in. Yes it does.

14 Messages

• 

286 Points

3 y ago

Deb Dennis......I actuallyyy tried some adhesive this weekend when I was out with friends. I was happyyy. I chose what I ate carefullyyy but it was good with what I ate.  My dentist said that she will give me the horseshoe denture in a few weeks - I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

55 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

Any updates??

14 Messages

• 

286 Points

I am leaving for the dentist NOW!!! PLEASE sayyy a prayer that she cuts this for me TODAY!! It's been exactlyyy 9 weeks!! I want it cut!! I need it cut!! I will be on later!!!

14 Messages

• 

286 Points

She did it!!!! She gave me a horseshoe palate and I LOVE IT!!! It's just sooooooo much less in myy mouth!! It's GREAT to feel the roof again!! It feels different. I need to get used to a different feeling all over again but it's better!! They, of course, don't have the suction and so the tightness is gone......they feel like they may fall out but they aren't. They are in with adhesive which yessss - I must use all the time now. They will not stay in up top at all now without it but it is soooooo worth it!! I think I will be good with this......I reallyyy do.....gotta try eating but I can tell you that even drinking water is BETTER now!!!!!

14 Messages

• 

286 Points

Wow.....4 hours later and these things are falling out! I had afternoon coffee and had to reapply adhesive because they instantlyyy became loose....2 hours after that and I couldn't even talk right because they were falling out. I need better adhesive I guess?? I just watched the video of you eating again and oh myyy god....I'm jealous. I love that it's cut out but....it's gotta stay in!!! What do you use Debi??

14 Messages

• 

286 Points

Oh.....and I asked todayyy about my permanents....she said April!! NEXT YEAR!! I had this done March 13th - exactlyyy 9 weeks ago....  I thought it was 6 to 8 months?? Is that myy problem?? Will myyy permanents with the horseshoe upper be better???

30 Messages

• 

758 Points

3 y ago

Hi Deb H...., I am getting a complete upper and partial lower,.they wanted to yank all the lowers out so I got a second opinion and they are doing the partial lower which is what I wanted to begin with but they are predominantly on one side,..I dont know how this is all going to end up but will see,..I only have 4 more to be pulled top at this point and have been walking around like this for over a year since all the others were pulled hoping the healing time to be less since for the immediate uppers nyway thats my story,..I also have a high palate,..

1 Message

• 

62 Points

I'm in the exact senario as you 4 upper teeth getting pulled this week and a partial on the bottom . I'm scared... terrified. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ty in advance

1 Message

• 

100 Points

3 y ago

I think it's great that you found something to work for you <3 I would however not be so quick to suggest it to others because if it doesn't and they ruin the denture or damage it extensively it will probably no longer be covered under any warranty or may not even be able to be fixed leaving them needing a whole new denture entirely. Not everyones mouth will be able to accomodate it. Small adjustments like if there's a small bump pushing in causing pain when you can't get into see the dentist with a dremel or very fine sand paper is completely different than actually attempting to change the shape of your denture. While most say they won't do the horseshoe because you lose suction. There are still some that would be willing to do it for you as long as they make sure you are aware of the risks and the new issues it may bring. I imagine they'd have you sign something stating that you are aware of everything and giving up the right to have them make a new denture at no cost if for some reason you find it indeed does not work for you. I agree you don't necessarily need implants though. I have an extremely severe gag reflex. There are even certain textures of foods I can't eat because it triggers it. I honestly couldn't even put my denture in my mouth without violently throwing up. I thought my only option was going to be either just going toothless or somehow figuring out how to pay for implants and neither of those choices were viable. So I asked my denturist if horseshoeing was an option. He too was worried about the suction capabilities being lost. I was dead set that there was absolutely no other option than to have sofmething without a pallet but shockingly the gagging wasn't happening because the pallet was the issue. I was gagging because I was literally choking on my own tongue. It needed to be tweaked on the bottom to give my tongue more room to talk and eat. He also did smoothe out the back so my tongue was less likely to feel it as I kept feeling it on the back of the tongue. I guess I hold my tongue in a weird way. My point is, yes it may feel like you have no other options. And that may very well be true, maybe that is the only way that will work. But I gotta tell ya, I wish I had thought of this all sooner. I haven't had a single issue with gagging since from my dentures. I have suction on the bottom holding it so tightly you'd swear there were implants underneath them holding them secure. Please try other options before you go to this solution. I say this as someone that wishes someone had said the same to me so I could have been less focused on gagging and more focussed on coming up with a solution to make it stop. I know I couldn't afford another set if something happened, and some people can't wear adhesives. Some people don't know they can't use adhesives. It would be devastating to find out after you've done this and then be stuck with something you can't use without the means to buy something to replace them. I'm not telling people not to do this, I'm just saying look into what your options truly are, it may not even be what you think is wrong which is why you haven't found a solution yet. Ask questions, Be proactive and fight for your own health and well being, not only just for the issues that need corrected right now but the future as well. I see so many people on youtube doing major adjustments on their own and the problem is that people watch these and assume that this is so easy to do on their own, or that this works for everyone. No two mouths are the same. If you are really deadset on the idea by all means. Speak to your dentist and see what he can do. Or even check out Jo's dentures, they do horseshoe uppers by request I believe and it's a whole lot cheaper than throwing thousands of dollars out the window because you thought you could do it on your own and regardless there is no guarantee that if you do it will be successful, just my two cents, take it for what it's worth. 

259 Messages

• 

6.1K Points

I agree.  A good dentist will explore all options and explain the ups and downs before putting your denture at risk. Anything  you do yourself (including having someone else alter it) will void any warranty.  

1 Message

• 

100 Points

I had my lower teeth pulled a year ago and went through the whole works like everyone does. I did my own relines which I got from the local supermarket and they last a few months. I also use adhesive (polligrip) and I am used to the taste plus I don't use all that much. If you are careful to use just a little and use your finger to cover all the areas instead of just squirting out lines as they show you I find it holds much better and doesn't squirt out the edges for you to eat. I will be trying one of the newer non petroleum or whatever types that are not supposed to disolve the first time you drink something. I should also say that I have fairly good bone structure and do not require new bone.

Now this year I had the uppers pulled and after two weeks I still could not eat, barely could talk and actually would start to gag after an hour. It hurt to eat and the pain was half because of the pallet pushing on the roof of my mouth. Yes I did go in and have them cut it a bit because at first I could not wear it at all without gagging.

Now after reading this list I decided to cut the pallet out with a dremmel. I am fully aware that I could lose strength and support. I know that the pallet section gives suction though it did not help me much at two weeks as the swelling was down a lot and I can see a reline coming soon. I decided that if I destroyed the thing I would just cough up the extra cash for a new one cause anything is better than nothing. I just cannot do the pallet cover.

I know how to use one but they are really easy to use anyway. I cut only the middle inch and did not go all the way to the front. I took example from the picture someone posted here. It didn't look like much but in your mouth everything tiny seems huge. Anyway, it worked fine for me. I can eat and talk and all pain is gone. For the moment I have better suction than I did before but as I said I use glue and I did so before trying to eat and it was as solid as the bottom. I know they will not come out tonight.

I realize this may not be for everyone. I realize that I will likely always use glue and may even need to use it more often. I also realize that my mouth is now comfortable, no pain and I can talk normal aside from an annoying whistle on my Sss. Doing relines is a pain but soon I will do a hard reline and it will be easier. In the end a little maint on my part is a small price to pay for a full set of teeth. I may also cut a little bit more out but time will tell.

I will leave you with some possible good advice. I got my dentures from a reputable place that specializes in them for $1500 each. I could have got them for $800 each through my plan but wasn't sure of the quality. Probably there are much cheaper out there. What I did NOT do was let them pull my teeth. I got a "dental plan" off the net (just do a search) and pay $15 a month for a list of a hundred or so dentists in my area that use this discount plan. Regular pulls were $80 and surgical were $110. That was half of what it costs anywhere else here in Alaska. So I could have saved more on dentures I suppose but I saved about $2000 in extractions. $6000 roughly for all.

Still, by all means discuss this with your dentist as there may be some that will help you and I know money is tight for most people. I have always been a diy kind of guy and am willing to take the risk instead of arguing with the dentist and going in multiple times as they cut off a centimeter. I also have a healthy credit card.

8 Messages

• 

242 Points

Thank you. It is very comforting knowing I'm not the only one who has difficulty with the full pallet. I get discouraged when the denture techs keep saying you have to get used to it. I cannot, as I gag, cant speak or eat. I will definitely be pushy to get adjustments I need.

1 Message

• 

84 Points

Donna,

I hate to give you bad news but I've had my dentures for 4 years and still can't speak right.  I would love to know what to do but my dentist just doesn't understand.  He's very nice but not sure he gets what is going on in my mouth.  I would love to just correctly again.  It's so embarrasing!!!  Any suggestions out there???

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

Cracked denture