jennifer_meacham's profile

3 Messages

• 

112 Points

Sat, Jul 4, 2020 2:54 PM

New Denture Wearer confused about using Dental Adhesive

I am new Denture wearer. I went to Aspen Dental and have both upper and lowers of the comfilytes.  I do plan on getting snap in's in the future but I have not hardly worn my dentures because they are so uncomfortable and awkward.  Just recently the dentist put in a top liner and advised me to use adhesive.

They told me to use a pea sized amount on the bottoms and top but the Fixodent website said to use 3 lines across the top pallet.   I tried the way the dentist said and the top was so insecure and I still had problems holding the denture in my mouth.  So today I tried the method the Fixodent site showed with 3 lines across the top pallet and in a horseshoe shape for bottom.  My dentures for the first time feel like they are tight in my mouth and I am actually relax a little.

How do you put your adhesive on? What kind of pattern do you use for uppers and lowers?  I read about the zinc issue and the warnings not to use much because of the zinc poisoning but the amount the dentist said to use vs what the Fixodent site said to use are two very different options.

Do you use Fixodent? or Polident? I bought Super grip Polident but the Dentist gave me a little tube of Fixodent so I've been using that.  Also please tell me how you put the adhesive on, how well it holds and what do you recommend as a regular denture wearer.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

21 Messages

• 

662 Points

1 y ago

Just use the amount that works for you! As long as it’s not oozing out the sides and back, you’re good. I use Secure. It’s waterproof (the others are not) so the hold is amazing and I can eat anything. It’s only available online - I get it from Amazon. You won’t need much of that stuff.

95 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

1 y ago

I use Cushion Grip.  It holds for days on my lowers and weeks on my uppers.  I do not find the other brands nearly compatible.

7 Messages

• 

140 Points

@nola_walker_martin I am currently trying cushion grip as a new denture wearer. I have had them for about a month and a half now. I like cushion grip in that it gives me a more padded feeling when I bite down. However, I haven't felt much adhesive help from using it. Especially not on the lowers. I tried calling the customer service number to speak with a brand advisor but no one was available and no one has returned my call yet. I was wondering if you personally felt that you could achieve some adhesion on the lowers?- also how thin of a lining do you try to get?-thanx!

292 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

1 y ago

Hi, welcome to the denture adventure..lol. Use what works for you, don't worry about the recommendations. Personally I hate adhesive. I've tried various types, for awhile I was using the poligrip powder, or I really preferred cushion grip. There was a period of time nothing was working. Just like so much of this adventure it's trial and error, or what works one day doesn't the next. I now have my permanent set (only have full uppers), I just started using densurefit....wow it's perfect...the best so far. My point is, keep trying everything until you find one that works. Yes it gets costly and you'll end up with an inventory, but when you find one your happy with it won't matter.
Be patient, you'll find something that works for you. Good luck

79 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

1 y ago

As mentioned above,what works for you!  Secure IS very secure and seemed to have the strongest hold,it is more expensive  so I used it before speaking events or 'special occasions'.  Before I got my final snap-ons  my daily product was using PoliGrip Super (horseshoe top and bottom) with some fixodent powder on top.  The powder does have zinc so I kept it to a minimal daily amount. Thankfully there are many zinc-free products available.
  On another subject,I bought a stack of cheap terry cloth wash cloths from the dollar store to remove all that gunk from my gums and dentures. They were very effective and I just washed them with the rest of my laundry. Good Luck! Stay plugged in,I was given some good information and encouragement from this site.

3 Messages

• 

112 Points

Thank you! I just found the site today.  I've had a not go great experience with the first three weeks after my extractions.  The mold they made was no good and the temp dentures didn't fit.  Hurt super bad and made sores in my mouth.  Went back in and they made a brand new mold and they fit for a day then the healing made them super loose.  Finally they put in an upper liner that is secure and I tried the Fixodent but it didn't stay.  That's what brought me here I was trying to find information on adhesives and dentures.  :)  I appreciate all the information I have read so far.  I mostly have not been putting my dentures in because it feels so much better without them but I have trouble talking right and I know I need to get used to wearing the dentures if I want any sort of comfortableness.  It was super depressing to have my remaining teeth pulled.  The teeth didn't want to be pulled and the extractions were so painful.  I wish I had had enough money for all implants but yeah I don't have that at all.  I definitely will keep reading and posting here!

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Jennifer Meacham
Keep complaining to your dentist until he gets  it right for you
You paid a lot of money for this and now he should do his job 
and get it right for you

292 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

1 y ago

Hi and welcome..you will receive support, tips and all sorts of advice, just remember what works for some may not work for everyone, but we all have been through similar experiences. Please stay positive, the denture adventure, as I like to call it, can be defeating. We're all here to help in any way possible.
I've tried almost everything out there, aside from "secure", my two favs are cushion grip and most recently densurefit. (I do have my permanent set, I'm a year and a half in this).

1 Message

• 

60 Points

1 y ago

I too went to Aspen Dental and have temporary dentures. They did a reline after 1 week and I had to go back 2 weeks later for an adjustment (dentures had sharp edges which were cutting into my gums). I was told they do 1 reline on temps. Seems like the reline was too soon but I'm not the dentist-what do I know? It has been 8 weeks now and I am using adhesive every day to keep them in and to be able to eat. I use Polident Cushion Grip. It keeps the uppers secure all day but I do have to apply more to the bottom before I eat my evening meal. It is really trial and error as to how much you need. It will make a big difference in what you can eat. Can't wait until December to get my permanent dentures. I will go back for adjustments on those every day if I have to. I paid big money for those "store bought teeth" and they better fit the way I want them to. Hang in there!

71 Messages

• 

826 Points

1 y ago

I don't use any adhesives anymore. I got way too sick on it. I switched from fixodent and seabond to poligrip. After my third reliine, i decided against paste and they cushion much better, although lose when it comes to biting. I rather stick to relines than paste and powders.

8 Messages

• 

142 Points

1 y ago

For me, almost 10 years in, I use Fixodent powder on my uppers... How I apply it is thoroughly wet the upper plate then squeeze in the powder from the applicator container. Then tap it around, kind of like flouring a cake pan, then dump the rest out. Then rinse your mouth with water or your favorite mouthwash. It's a 50/50 whether I use mouthwash or not.  Once you've rinsed apply your top plate... This lasts me about 24 to 26 hours...