Skip to main content
Denture Living Community
S

1 Message

• 

70 Points

Fri, Oct 16, 2020 3:40 PM

Lower dentures

I recently got lower dentures and from the beginning they have been so lose that if I try to chew or even sneeze they fall out of my mouth. I went in today for the final reline and they are still really lose. The dentist said that lower dentures are just that way. Is this true?

Responses

7 Messages

• 

138 Points

15 days ago

My dentist told me from the beginning that they should fit so well that I would not need adhesive. Yeah, right. I also told her that when you fit them into my mouth and ask how they feel, they feel great. But that is not real world use of dentures..So now I am still having issues with the bottom dentures, like you. I have some reline OTC products that I haven't tried yet. I do find that the product "Secure" with some Polident helps a lot.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

15 days ago

This is absolutely, 100% not true.  What is true, is that you will have a hard time finding a dentist/denturist that has the knowledge to make a lower denture in the proper way.  I represent Stabil-Dent but I am not trying to sell you on it but I do want you to look at a picture of a properly made lower denture compared to one that is not.  The key to a lower denture that stays in place is the sublingual area.  Most dentist/denturists do not know how to take a proper impression to be able to make a denture with this area fully extended.  Please see https://stabildent.com/denture-stabilization-stabil-dent/

You can visually see the difference between a denture that will stay in your mouth and one that will fall out.  I hope this helps a little bit.

46 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

15 days ago

Lowers are a lot looser than uppers, that's for sure. I know I myself, as I think others on here, have experimented with a lot of options to hold them down. I don't have the reline, maybe that should remedy some of that? No don't know. What I do know is yes, lowers (even after 4 size adjustments for me) can still knock and wobble around. I have to resort to 2 adhesives on my lowers to hold them down. I do a thin line of Polygrip super, then place a Sea Bond liner over that. It's uncomfortable but holds okay. I think the prevailing consensus on these forums is to experiment with different adhesives until you find something that works for you. Look around at a lot of threads, maybe somebody has something we haven't thought of. Good luck!

7 Messages

• 

138 Points

@joel_rook

yes I believe the tendency is for them not make a secure contact with the center of the lower gum/bone. And they naturally want to come up in the center. 

11 Messages

• 

388 Points

15 days ago

Unfortunately, it has always been a problem with denture wearers. When I had my lowers done, I did so with the intention of getting snap-in lowers. Between the time with my mediates and the final snap-ins, I found Secure Strip Adhesives to be the best, but could not use them due to the burning sensation that some wearers experience, so I resorted to Sea Bond plus Powder adhesive that lasted for only a half a day. If you can afford Snap-ins, definitely get them. WOW what a difference, I can eat any type of food with zero problems.