Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

3 Messages

• 

192 Points

Fri, Oct 21, 2016 4:39 AM

Loose Dentures. Help!

Hello everyone, 

Glad to be part of this community and maybe offer my help to anyone interested. I am a full time dental lab tech specializing in making dentures. I have made hundreds of dentures, relines, repairs, etc. I am new to blogging, but have written a few posts on Dental Town. 

Here is one of them on tips to patients with loose dentures. Hopefully it will be useful to someone. Feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer them as soon as possible. 

Here is the post: 

http://www.dentaltown.com/Dentaltown/Blogs.aspx?action=VIEWPOST&b=712&bp=5778

Responses

17 Messages

• 

470 Points

4 years ago

This is outstanding, as I must be one of the lucky one as I have had normal set up. But the great thing with me is that I have been eating side food since the second week. Best thing I ever did. And would do it again in a heart beat.

3 Messages

• 

192 Points

That's awesome. Where did yo get your dentures, Jim?

Just wrote this one today on denture repair. Save for later ;) 
http://www.affordabledentureslasvegas.com/denture-repair-guide.html

17 Messages

• 

470 Points

Aspen Dental, Champaign, Illinois

51 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

Excellent info - I am one of the unlucky ones no suction with uppers. I have had them about 8 months. Had hard realign done which made them better for a few weeks then no suction. My dentist said I had bone loss?? and I should think about having another one made for down the road. Is this true? It's very costly to do this twice & cannot afford all implants (I have some on bottom) as much as I wish I could.

64 Messages

• 

1.7K Points

Hi, how are you now? Your post could be mine. I hope your denture is better. I wish mine was

51 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

Hi Les - I am in the process of having another set made. My dentist said they should feel much better since they cannot anticipate bone loss when having the first set put in. I wish I knew this ahead of time. They are still very loose and uncomfortable especially as day progresses. I tried secure as many have stated and it works better than other fixatives but nothing helps them from getting very loose after a few hours. So the jury is still out and we shall see what the new set brings. I'm just so upset that I have to go through the expense all over again. 

472 Messages

• 

14.2K Points

4 years ago

Hundreds of dentures? Ive made only 3 sets, an upper, a hard reline, and a repsir or 2. Got any tips for a rookie?

1.6K Messages

• 

25.8K Points

Hi Ken!!!! How's it going?

472 Messages

• 

14.2K Points

Fine how are you Josie? I made the dentures for the couple from church, then did a hard reline for his upper. I'm still wearing the ones I made in Feb.

143 Messages

• 

3.6K Points

Is this the Josie with the foul mouth?  Shame on you!

1.6K Messages

• 

25.8K Points

Hey Ken! How are the couple from church doing with the dentures you made? OMG you did a Reline for him? Did you actually take impressions of his mouth???

472 Messages

• 

14.2K Points

Yep! The upper I made for him didn't have much suction, so I did a reline. Only problem was I forgot to use a release agent on it. I like to have never got it cleaned up! I glued hid denture to the model pretty good. Next time I saw her she was bragging on hers. Said she could eat anything she wanted... nuts, whatever she wanted. I changed churches and haven't saw them since, but I put 2 teeth back in for a gentleman at my new church after services the other night. Apparently I left them a little long, but he took a file to them and all is good now. I'm wanting to make another set for myself, but my wife says she is next. We recently moved and are still trying to get settled in. I haven't had time to work on either one. Actually my new "store bought teeth" fit pretty good. I got a sore spot or 2 but nothing a dremel and some 600 grit sand paper couldn't fix. At least I hope so. I wore the ones I made for a while to let my gums rest. I just worked on the perms from A D earlier tonight, so it's a little early to tell.

We have a new guy in our department that doesn't know about my dentures. I think I'll mess with his (and a few other's) head. I think I'll alternate days... nice smile one day, and snaggle-toothed the next.

143 Messages

• 

3.6K Points

4 years ago

Your blog link is a dud.

5 Messages

• 

104 Points

4 years ago

That's strange. I don't know how that happened?

1.6K Messages

• 

25.8K Points

Hey Jax, the Reline will help the "fit". If the bite is off completely then a "rebase" will help that.  We don't even do rebases at my work. We don't make errors like that. I would say get a remake at NO COST! Good luck!

5 Messages

• 

104 Points

Wow true a remake will be better although this would be the third on. I am going to speak to them. Thanks for your help Josie, much appreciated :-)

1 Message

• 

80 Points

I had mine pulled 2 days ago and these new permanent dentures are very crooked. I went in today they had to grind  the lower right side so much the back teeth are
are almost completely almost gone. I mentioned that to the girl doing it and she said they may need to remake them. Then the dentist came in and is like oh they look good ect... and yes they were much better but still crooked. Before they ground them down today the top was at a 45% angle and the back left side didn't touch at all. The bite is better now but still off so I still think Ill complain and have them remake them, or fix them properly. I know it was hard when they did my impressions because I had no upper teeth sticking out of the gums, but I can't be the first one. By the way that's an old picture of me with my real teeth. LOL

1 Message

• 

82 Points

Some comfort [sic] in knowing so may of you are bothered. My problem is loose lower.

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

Hi do you know if a denture can be adjusted in the arch in the back where the roof of your mouth is my denture feels a little off center

162 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

10 months ago

Funny: Preference here is FOR LOOSE fit! From day 1 post-op onward to 3 mos., they were simply completely WAY too tight all over, causing pressure/pain/aching/throbbing.

Finally, at long last they are now loose-enough to allow proper healing. That's optimal in this case.

If needed, for relief, can simply flick denture free of still-tender, highly-sensitive healing tissue and bone.

Cannot even imagine wanting denture to "stay put" all day long! (Like wearing high-heels 12 hrs a day! ;-)

54 Messages

• 

742 Points

9 months ago

Your dentures can become loose for a number of reasons, many of which are perfectly normal. The most common reason for loose-fitting dentures is a process known as bone resorption, where the gums begin to shrink due to them no longer needing to hold your teeth in place.

One way to help prevent bone resorption is by using your jaw as much as possible – even chewing solid foods should help keep your gums strong and healthy. A balanced diet is also a key factor in helping to prevent resorption, so try to include a wide variety of nutritional foods in your meals.

Another common cause of loose dentures is, simply, everyday wear. Practicing good denture care, including taking your dentures out at night, is important in both preserving them and your gums.