Skip to main content
Denture Living Community
E

7 Messages

• 

140 Points

Sat, Oct 10, 2020 8:50 PM

Help with immediate denture lowers

I don't know if anyone else has experienced an issue like this. Before getting dentures I had three implants on my lower left replacing molars. so now I've had all of my teeth removed and the crowns taken off of the implants. I have been giving immediate dentures to use until the additional implants I received heal. 

The issue I'm having is, there are still posts in the implants and it is causing the lower plate to be unbalanced easily. So far I have tried cushion grip and polident strips. Neither being a good fit for me. Also having them lift up and not form any sort of seal to the lower gums makes me nauseas from all of the air bubbles and extra stuff in my mouth. Any ideas?

Responses

221 Messages

• 

4.3K Points

21 days ago

Lucky you are having, and/or have implants.  Anyone can learn to control the lowers with their tongue; albeit, you need to make the decision to do it and get lots of food stuck under them and get that out with your tongue etc.  But, if you have the mind to do it you can; that's what I had to do.  It took about a year and a half of me complaining about my lowers, using glue to try to keep them in before I was able to do it.  Getting nauseas from air bubbles is a psychological, and temporary, issue, imho, and getting through it and over it to move to a new and improved space is a choice.  You can always take a drill bit to the plate and drill out where the posts are, that's what the dentist/prosthodontist should have/should do for you though.  Open up a charcoal tab, place some on the posts, put the temps in to mark the spot, grab a drill bit and drill holes in the 3 spots. 

7 Messages

• 

140 Points

The soft line is in place to account for the posts. I don't want to permanently change anything with the plate. 

I don't think it's mental about the nausea though. I have found ways to improve the issue. Basically when I talk a lot it's still a problem. The plate starts slipping and it doesn't hit the back of my mouth accurately. I think it's similar to people having gag reflex issues.

I do feel blessed to have the implants I do have. I don't have much in life I can say I feel lucky to have. My dentist and the work he has done is definitely top of that short list though. I have been to so many bad dentist over the years. Since I started going there, I moved away. I tried going to several others. Instead I contacted their practice again and drive four hours to get there. 

I am sure there are more qualified dentists. There is ALWAYS someone better. However, he is very very very smart and patient and hardworking. Also the practice he works in is so much better than any I had ever been to in terms of treating me and my case with respect and care, I never want to go elsewhere.

I do still wish I could have only implants to replace my teeth (all 20+) of them. However, I am willing to deal with the reality of my budget and such. Still I'm looking to start dating again. I'm just barely 40, and the idea of my teeth slipping around when I am trying to meet a new guy, much less to have to leave my teeth out at night!😳 I only hope to make these things as comfortable and natural as possible to avoid adding extra anxiety to my situation!

1.6K Messages

• 

25.9K Points

18 days ago

Tell them to adjust the inside of the denture where those posts are or temporarily remove the posts. I'm sure they're pretty useless just sitting there at this point.

1.6K Messages

• 

25.9K Points

Are they going to use your existing denture once your abutments are placed on the new implants?

7 Messages

• 

140 Points

Both. They added three new implants one on the other side of the bottom and two on the same side as the lowers(I already had two others on the opposite right side) however the new implants are just healing still covered by my gums. The old implants are so close together I really don't know how it's all going to work out. It doesn't seem like it will ever balance.

However, I have a lot of trust in my dentist. He is the one who saw me through the five implants I had originally. Since then five years later, I moved about 4 hours away. I haven't found any other dentist to be ever the slightest bit comparable. 

I asked him to remove the posts from the old implants but he said he didn't recommend doing that. I can't imagine why but I don't think he would make that suggestion if he didn't have some reason. 

For me keeping the lowers in place isn't so much an issue in terms of eating and avoiding food. I've been able to keep them down with my tongue. However when I am talking a lot they slip around. I am looking to start dating again. I don't need any extra anxiety from will my teeth end up slipping out! 😳

1.6K Messages

• 

25.9K Points

I bet they're moving around! :/ Honestly I can't see why the Dentist wouldn't remove them temporarily. You can try and twist them off yourself but make sure you put them in a ziploc or in something and don't lose or misplace them!!!! As you know they cost $$$$ We had a lady we were making an Implant retained Denture for and her abutment was loose and she didn't want to go back to the Dentist for that and tightened it herself. lol.

It would help the denture sit over all the implants so much easier while your new implants are healing. If you can't do it just ask your Dentist if they will reconsider as I'm sure you have to wait approx 4mths for the new implants to heal right? It used to be at least 6mths but these days it's 3-4mths for the abutments to be placed.

1.6K Messages

• 

25.9K Points

You can also use that immediate denture as your permanent one if your pleased with it. It will save on costs. All they need to do is a Reline once the abutments are placed. When they do the Reline on the denture they add the "sleeves" in the denture at the same time. Are you having a removable denture "snap on" or fixed "screwed in"?