Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

10 Messages

• 

326 Points

Sat, Mar 18, 2017 10:09 PM

Glue not holding all day and the fixodent package says to only use once a day.

I recently got my full upper and lower dentures. After almost 4 months of no teeth I was excited to say the least. My dentures were loose from the start which my dentist said was because I have so little bone structure for them to grip onto. I went and purchased Fixodent plus superior hold. I have had issues from the start with the cream not holding the whole day. I read the package and it says not to use more than once a day. How is one supposed to eat with dentures that flop around and you can't apply more adhesive? Any suggestions???

Responses

58 Messages

• 

2K Points

4 years ago

I just got my stitches removed today and a soft reline for the first time. It feels a little tighter but as I was eating dinner this evening, still eating soft pasta..I tried to chew it some, and dentures were a bit floppy. I can imagine if I try to eat anything that I have to chew a bit more I'll need some adhesive on them. Came here to see what everyone is recommending before I drop money on stuff that I don't really have to be spending. Was hoping the dentist would give me samples to try but no luck there. He said to just try this reline first..I think I'll need something else though.

Do companies offer samples to try their products out before you buy them? And what's this Cushion correct stuff like? Does it actually work better than otc adhesive stuff we can buy here?

453 Messages

• 

11.5K Points

I use Cushion Correct and Secure Adhesive.
Cushion Correct is like a Soft Liner you can do yourself.
I've been using both products for about 15 months.

58 Messages

• 

2K Points

Thanks Ted. You use both these products together? And both you can only order online?
I'll look into getting them if they seem to work. I can't wait to be able to eat a good meal again and not worry about these bottoms flying out!

11 Messages

• 

240 Points

You should be seeing your dentist more often. Dentures are only good for 4-5 years and need relining in-between. If they don't fit from the beginning, see your dentist, again and again till he is tired of seeing your face and finally fixes them right.  Your gums are constantly changing, something that can't be fixed with adhesive. Think of your dentures like the tires on your car. Maintenance, rotation and replacement. -  Never had a real problem in my 25 years with dentures. -  If your dentist is blowing you off with excuses spend some quality time in his waiting room and share your experience with the other waiting patients. Works like a charm. 

455 Messages

• 

8.7K Points

Try SECURE

30 Messages

• 

606 Points

I am in 4 weeks of getting top and Bottom Dentures. I have gone back twice to get the Soft liner put in. It will not stay attached on the sides. I had to rip it out on count of flopping in my Mouth. My Dentures will not fit tight now. I have used Polident, Fixodent and the Powder nothing seems to work. I went today and got the Soft liner kit to do myself. Is that a good idea?

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

4 years ago

Mary I LOVE polident powder extra strength its amazing to me. I called secure and asked for a sample and they sent me whole tube. I've used it for first time today and it works extremely well too. I've had in since 9am and I just ate supper and its still holding really well. Hoping I don't have hard time removing tonight. Lol. If u Google secure dental adhesive and then call they will prob send sample too. A lot of ppl on here say the powder adhesive or secure is the best and I do agree. Good luck finding 1u like. I tried everything in first couple weeks but now month in and the powder or secure is what I'm sticking with. This has been a trial and error adventure for me and I'm sure for and everyone else. Lol

58 Messages

• 

2K Points

Thanks Melanie! Where did you find the polident powder? I looked at the grocery store and Walgreens ealier today and couldn't find it at either one. I'm sure it'll be trial and error with me as well. Sure different things work better for different people as we're all different in ways. I just can't wait for the day I can have a good meal again! I tried to chew up some very tender chicken for dinner tonight and bottoms popped right out, so definately need more than just this liner.

My gums are still pretty tender, do you think I need to wait longer before trying to use any adhesive on my dentures? I actually have one small spot that is still swollen, the surgeon had trouble removing a tooth there, and I have to go back in two weeks to make sure it has healed okay.

By the way, Did you try that cushion correct stuff today? How did that work for you? I'm a bit leary when ordering online from somewhere overseas, so want to make sure it's worth it.

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Mary I got the polident powder at dollar general. Lol. And I haven't used cushion correct yet. Didn't have time this morn but I will tomorrow. I'm say way about buying stuff overseas but everyone seems to love the stuff so decided to buy at least once. I will post in morn as soon as i try and let u know. Also I started using adhesive on pallet the day I got teeth pulled then all over 2 days after stitches removed. But if u R concerned about any areas maybe try to keep adhesive from that area.

58 Messages

• 

2K Points

Yeah I'm just not sure. Little concerned with that area being swollen still, so probably wouldn't use anything on that spot for a bit longer. My top ones seem pretty snug so I don't know if I would need any adhesive on them. Definately can't wait to hear how the cushion correct goes for you!

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Mary ok so I tried the cushion correct this morn. So far it kinda feels like I got a soft reline. So for now I really like it. Will see by this afternoon

58 Messages

• 

2K Points

Awesome Melanie. Hope it stays put the rest of the day for you!
I woke this morning with bad pain in the roof of my mouth, denture digging into it pretty bad. So another trip to see him for an adjustment I guess. May as well have a permanent chair for me there lol.

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

4 years ago

Oh and I've bought the cushion correct but haven't used yet cuz Idk if its ok with soft reline or not. Don't wanna mess it up. Hoping sum1 on here knows if its ok or not

453 Messages

• 

11.5K Points

I used it in my soft lining without any issues.
https://youtu.be/NFr8sOzcR6M?list=PLMe2Ai0pJ2ksltFd8IEDqYzv4OYmHyaK7

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Ted thank u so much! I've had the cushion correct for few days but was scared to try. When u go to remove it it doesn't hurt or tear the soft reline? Does it work well? I will b giving it a try in morn if its safe on reline! Thank for YouTube link!

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Ted also for upper denture do I put cushion correct on whole denture or just on gum line? Lol.

453 Messages

• 

11.5K Points

I use it on the gum line and pallet on my upper.  I start with a bit a little bigger than a Pea and work it down and forward from the pallet part of my upper.

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Ok thank u ted!!! I will b trying it tomorrow!!! Thank u so much!!!

455 Messages

• 

8.7K Points

4 years ago

I use SECURE but really what is the best?

453 Messages

• 

11.5K Points

I've found what works for one person my not be ideal for another when it comes to dentures.  Personally I've tried almost everything out there with the exception of Olivafix (Switzerland) and I just ordered some of that.  Secure is my "Go To" adhesive.  Protefix is my second favorite.  If you REALLY want to "CEMENT" them in, try this "Crazy Glue" method outlined here from a friend of mine:  

Some occasions call for cementing in the dentures - mainly my lower partial. I accomplish this by using both paste adhesive and powder.

I call this paste and powder combo "crazy glue".

First put in the paste (I use Poligrip). I squeeze a bit in and then kind of smooth it around with my finger. After that I lightly spray with water and then sprinkle on Fixodent or Wernets powder (spread that by sort of shaking the denture lightly - kind of like flouring a cake pan). Then, lightly spray with water again and place in your mouth. 

I used this on my lower partial whenever I know I'm going out for a sticky, chewy meal. For me, this holds quite tightly and often I can't get it out when I am ready to go to bed. Usually it comes out in the morning after a cup of hot tea.

Update

I thought I would add another little tidbit of information ....

Another combination that works for me is to use Poligrip Strips in my lower and then sprinkle a bit of Fixodent powder over them. It really keeps my lower in place and keeps all the food particles out. I've had that lasting me all day - three meals and a snack - and it is still in snug at the end of the day! 

Poligrip strips seem to work well on their own, too, and they are highly portable since they come in little individual packets. The strips help fill in those areas that may be a bit open from shrinkage, at least until the next reline.

REMINDER: Just remember that you do NOT want to use paste adhesives until your extraction sites are healed! Until then stick with just powder or wafers!

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Ted!! Thank u!!! I've been wondering about using both at once but was scared!!!! Lol. Now I know others have and i will give it try!! Thank u!!!

58 Messages

• 

2K Points

I was just wondering this last night! If using both would make a stronger all day hold. I didn't know if it would make too strong of a hold, definitely want to be able to take these things out once a day! I was going to ask earlier but it slipped my mind. Thanks Ted!

84 Messages

• 

3.9K Points

Ted: Let me give you some credit, too. I think I'm headed for an adhesive as well, and your insights are most valuable. Thank you. Joseph

453 Messages

• 

11.5K Points

You're welcome Joseph.   I've gleaned lots of info from various Forums, Facebook Groups, Web Searches and, of course, my favorite - Personal Experimentation.  Most of this information is NOT original.  I just compiled "the best of what works for me here."  Feel free to ASK ANYTHING and I'll do my best to answer.

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

4 years ago

I use polident extra strength powder for normal everyday but I got secure about week or so ago. It held so good like cement I've decided it will b used when we go anywhere. Lol. Like out to eat family functions etc. The powder tho works really well for me. But I also have ordered sum of the protofix. Will let everyone know. I'm fairly new to dentures so I'm trying everything and open to all suggestions

58 Messages

• 

2K Points

I just called Secure yesterday and should get a free sample box in the mail in week or two. She said there would be a small tube, a few of the strips and cleaners in it also. All companies should do this! It would help a lot of people out when trying the different products.
I've been using the polident powder that you recommended to me and it has been working great for me! I'm still doing the salt water rinses a few times a day (because of a bit of swelling still hanging around) so I don't leave my dentures in all day yet.
Can't wait to hear about the protofix!

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Awesome mary! Sounds like what they sent me. And its not really small tube. Its about size of fixodent tubes. And as strong as it holds should last a while! I'm excited for u to try!!

455 Messages

• 

8.7K Points

4 years ago

Could I use SECURE and powder?

453 Messages

• 

11.5K Points

Maybe?  In my experience Secure works best when dry.  I sometimes even take a Microfiber Cloth and dry my gums and pallet before putting my dentures in with Secure.  Since you generally moisten powders slightly, it could be self-defeating? 

Protefix and Powder would be a better combination or stick with one of the domestic "cream-type" products and powder or strips.

You could always try it and let us know!   Everyone is different.   Experimenting is allowed.  Heck, I encourage it!  :-)

453 Messages

• 

11.5K Points

Another thought:

As we each progress on this Denture Journey, it seems most people I know end up with "The Box" of products we've tried and didn't like or don't use.  This is what I have left AFTER passing my "Box" on to another new denture wearer.  I can only laugh at this point!

(I am bummed my Minion Toothbrush just died though)

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Omg! Ted mine is beginning to look like that too!! Lol. And we live in a small town so I drove my husband crazy going to all 3 stores here then 5 stores in next town looking for denture stuff. Lol

453 Messages

• 

11.5K Points

That's funny...   I forgot the two boxes of Fixodent Cleaning Tablets!  They're under the sink in the back.  I use those and Blue Dawn (Dentist's & her Lab Tech's recommendations) in the Ultrasonic Cleaner.  And then there's my "on the go" kit I keep in my briefcase or backpack.  

I have "issues" with Amazon.  They must love me! lol

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Lol. I have same "issues" with eBay. Lol. They have little ultra sonic cleaners say for jewelry and dentures. Is that the right thing?

133 Messages

• 

170 Points

3 years ago

Hello Good News i have only one son Kelly Shakeel and he was about going to die after he was diagnosed with Heart cancer and brain problmes, so i was going to Dr and my Dr said he has just three weeks to live, killy is my only son my family and my only best friend, and I couldn't afford to lose him. I started searching for help on-line to make sure my son don’t die, then I found someone name Khan Merriam saying about Dr Sandy, I told him about my problems and he gave me some words of encouragement tell me abut his Herbal medicine that he will do and sent with UPS POST OFFICE WITH MY HOME ADDRESS and he did an sent me herbal medicine and he instructed me on how to go about it, Dr Sandy also said my son will not die that he will be heart cancer free days after using the medicine , I did exactly what he asked me to , now my son that was suppose to live for just two weeks has lived two weeks more and he is very okay , he is fine , just like any other children my son is fine.i was so happy and tell the HERBAL DR about my illness Herpes 2 and ask if he can cure that hes say yes happen again he send me the herbal medicine and use it for 14days too but now me and my son is fine and live a good life, i did not know what to say or do for you papa Srandy all i can do is to tell the word about you and give my life to you pls friends help me thanks him Lesson: Don’t give up in life; 
 HE HAVE CURE FOR THIS ILLNESS. HIV HERPES BODY CANCER HEART CANCER BLOOD CANCER HPV ALS EASY PROBLEM E T C.. 
what ever you are passing through today can be your testimony tomorrow:  Email;  dr.sandyspelltemple@gmail.com  dr.sandyspelltemple@hotmail.com  dr.sandyspelltemple@yahoo.com  OR call Whats App Number +2349031726182 https://www.facebook.com/Drsandy-SPELL-HOME-2-226270587825982/
 THANKS  FOR SANDY..... 

48 Messages

• 

252 Points

2 years ago

Get profit of the most healthy denture adhesive cream in the world with up to 45% OFF before Winter Sale ends up at https://shop.olivafix.com/