Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

9 Messages

• 

192 Points

Wed, Apr 11, 2018 4:28 AM

Getting full top and partial denture in eight hours immediately after extraction

At Aspen Dental at 7:30am on 4/11/18.
I have a mix of emotions, fear of the pain from new dentures, fear of not being able to communicate properly when I return to work on Friday 4/13/18 @ 7:30am... Yes, I am aware that it's Friday the thirteenth, I am not superstitious but concerned it may be too soon. My dentist office said I needed to be off from work for only 48 hours... so that is all I requested to be off.
Has anyone gone back to work so soon? How long does it take to be able to speak "normally"? Is there a lot of saliva having the new dentures in... do I need to wear a bib at work?? Any suggestions regarding coping, specific over the counter pain medication that I can take while at work. Thank you for your time and input.

Responses

59 Messages

• 

1K Points

3 years ago

So sorry you are going through this I feel somewhat in the same position as you, I just got 28 extractions and immediate dentures 3 days ago and my top denture teeth are HUGE, i look like a horse when i wear them, they are extremely painful, the teeth lap over my bottom and I cannot even close my mouth while wearing them.. my dentist has offered to make a new top set for me for free but I have to wait close to 2 months, I am an emotional wreck.. just thinking that I either have to go without teeth or go with teeth that look this awful, he tried to reassure me that they did not look " that bad " and that people that didnt know me who not know that these teeth are too big for me, also stating that he has seen worse real teeth, but none of this makes me feel better at all, now I am sitting here with no teeth in, tops or bottoms because the pain is so bad and I cannot see my dentist until Monday and I already know he will not do anything with the current set I have because he has said so. I really hope that all your issues are fixed for you in the right ways. Good Luck 

9 Messages

• 

192 Points

3 years ago

I am so sorry you are in so much pain Jennifer. I do not understand why you would have to wait so long. Unless they want to make sure you are fully healed?
The first day, I cried uncontrollably. Then I was angry. Now I am better, it helps being able to vent on here and talk to people that know what you are going through.
I was very self conscious about the dentures... now I am just thankful I am able to tolerate the pain to keep them in while working with the help of Ibuprophin.
Maybe see on Monday once the swelling goes down, in the dentist office so they can make adjustments so you can wear them while the other set is being made? Its no fun putting them on, but once they are on hopefully they will adjust it enough that you can comfortably wear them.
Are you using ice packs at night? That has helped me immensely! I hope things get fixed right for you too!

59 Messages

• 

1K Points

Thank you, he told me at my last check up that as soon as I healed enough for him to take some impressions he would get on it but it will take 4 weeks or so because he is making them from scratch - not 100% sure what that means considering he had to send my last impressions off to be made for the immediate dentures but I am impatiently waiting and cannot wait to get my new set in very high hopes that they look better than these, and I have not used ice at all and was unsure which would be best.. the ice or heat but I can say that when i use a heat compress it helps greatly with the pain. 

54 Messages

• 

1K Points

Ice is best only the first 24-48 hours for swelling then once bleeding has subsided as well, heat is best after that. Hope you feel better! Good luck!

59 Messages

• 

1K Points

Thank you 

5 Messages

• 

142 Points

Hi Jennifer's - I just want you to know that it takes a long time to adjust to all of this. It was so hard for me to accept that I will forever have these awkward, unnatural things in my mouth. And I couldn't go back to work for almost a month with the temps. I have my permanent now, and I have the anchored ones with implants, but they are still miserable and am out $20k to Renew. The whole purpose of the anchored ones is to not have to use adhesive but I've still had to daily. The pain I have is not related to my teeth much anymore but my gums and palate and tongue stay so irritated - it is very debilitating to trying to live a semi-normal life. Being in pain constantly tends to affect us in everything we do. I have asked about this several times and have been told repeatedly that it just a matter of adjustment. No, it is not. My mouth Burns all the time and it hurts! I have been so disappointed with the entire process. I am an RN and I can't wrap my mind around how, once they're paid upfront, you have to wait weeks to even be seen. Unbelievable - and most lawyers won't take on dental cases.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Robyn
Lawyers  will not  take   the case and that is  True
but you can take him into small claims court and win

Send your dentist a demand letter and then take him into court

89 Messages

• 

1.8K Points

3 years ago

As I have said a few times i have alot of experience with dentures. As far as having to wait 4 weeoks to take impressions to make new teeth is ridiculous. I dont know where you had them done but if they were done at aspen or affortable they advertise how you dont have to wait for your dentures they can be done in one day. So them saying 4 weeks doesnt make any sense to me. To anyone who are not happy with there teeth when they get them make sure you let them know because they use the same teeth in your permanent denture. They only make the gumss from scratch. There not gonna give you new teeth. Its a waste of money and the teeth is whats experience. If your still in pain get some Orajel or Anbesol. It works great for pain and actually helps with the healing process. Take a q tip and put it on there and them wipe it on the swoolen areas. It might burn alittle but it will take the pain awhile and will help in wearing them. I hope this helps and I didnt make to many mistakes my eyes are blutty today.
Take care and God Bless
Sharona

59 Messages

• 

1K Points

Thank you, he knows that I am unhappy with my top denture and has offered to remake them, he told me the teeth size isnt the issue but more that the teeth were put down to far in the gum part of the denture causing them to look to big, and man i hope he knows what he is talking about because the amount of disappointment I will have if i get a new set and wait and the teeth are just as large as the ones I have now. I am on day 4 now and the pain is beginning to get a little better to handle, I have also found some orajel mouth wash that helps greatly. 

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Jennifer
Hi Jennifer
I hope he is not talking about giving you your permanent denture??
He should be adjusting your temporary dentures until they it properly/
If he can't fix your temporary dentures I  certainly would not let him do
 my permanent dentures

Sharona knows a lot about dentures I would certainly ask her opinion

Perhaps you should confer with another dentist.  Many give free consultations
Please let us know what you re doing to help yourself
Do you have a Dental college near you?
Barbara

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

There are 2 Jennifers on this blog
I have gotten them mixed up somewhat
I think Jennifer does NOT  lives in   the USA??
Perhaps she live in England???
In England   treatment and dental costs are different then in the US. 
I think Jenifer Mercado lives in the USA
Could they tell me
Barbara

9 Messages

• 

192 Points

I live in Wisconsin.

59 Messages

• 

1K Points

3 years ago

I am from the USA as well :) Oklahoma

54 Messages

• 

1K Points

3 years ago

I was just wondering how everyone is doing as of today? I hope not too bad! I am on day 6 from my surgery and going to Aspen dental for my 2nd adjustments in the morning because I have sore spots the Dentures have rubbed from being too big and or rough spots. I will let you know how that goes too. I had 29 teeth extracted and asked for a detailed print out from billing but will demand it tomorrow. I got comfylites for my permanent Dentures as well but paid close to $8000 for everything. I think it was way too high and they should I would receive some sort of a refund but have been told nothing else since before surgery. So we will see...good luck all

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

3 years ago

Hi  Elisha Wilbur

$8,000 is a ot of money.   You will see what they have charged you for what  when you get an itimized bill.
If you are due a refund get it now before they  figure out a way not to refund it to you.

There is a blog asking what price  people payed on this site
I  believe  a chart on that blog that will  tell you what average charge most dentists charge 
for different procedures that you can  can compare your charges to .
You may also lookup average prices dentists charge on the internet,
Have them make adjustments on your denture. 

Tell them you are in pain and have them make all the adjustments you need.  Do not let them tell you that you have to get "Used" to pain.  The temps are important.  If they can't make good comfortable temps then they won't be able to make permanents dentures  that work for you

Good luck
Barbara

59 Messages

• 

1K Points

3 years ago

Barbara, 
The dentist is making me a new temporary denture for the top, I am only on day 5 from surgery and still have a bit to go before getting the others, I am waiting for the top gums to heal a bit so I can get new impressions done and a new top immediate denture made for me because the teeth in the one i got after extraction were misplaced in the denture and look huge ( I cant even close my mouth ) I HATE that I am having to wear them now, I think its fair enough to get good dentures the 1st time around but I am trying to stay positive and patient, its just really hard. He said it would take 4 weeks before the new ones were complete after the impressions were made and the thought of me going in public with the ones I have no terrify me.. they are awful

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

3 years ago

Jennifer
You are right
you have to stay positive
Tell him while are waiting for the new dentures
To make some adjustments now. Because you
are in pain now
You 8Good luck and wishes
Barbara

59 Messages

• 

1K Points

3 years ago

Thank you Barbara, my dental office opens in 20 minutes and I am calling to see if they can see me today, soooo many problems with these dentures, my bottoms now too it seems, very painful to wear, they puff out really bad on the sides and under my lip, I just want to cry.. really hope he is willing and can help me today

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

3 years ago

Hi  Jennifer
You must really tell that dental office that you are in pain with the lower denture and ask
them or tell them you must get another  adjustment  because the pain is unbearable
Insist with them
Do not let them get away with saying you will get used to them because no one
gets used to pain.
How much are you paying for your dentures???
What dental office are you using??
Barbara