Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

9 Messages

• 

192 Points

Wed, Apr 11, 2018 4:28 AM

Getting full top and partial denture in eight hours immediately after extraction

At Aspen Dental at 7:30am on 4/11/18.
I have a mix of emotions, fear of the pain from new dentures, fear of not being able to communicate properly when I return to work on Friday 4/13/18 @ 7:30am... Yes, I am aware that it's Friday the thirteenth, I am not superstitious but concerned it may be too soon. My dentist office said I needed to be off from work for only 48 hours... so that is all I requested to be off.
Has anyone gone back to work so soon? How long does it take to be able to speak "normally"? Is there a lot of saliva having the new dentures in... do I need to wear a bib at work?? Any suggestions regarding coping, specific over the counter pain medication that I can take while at work. Thank you for your time and input.

Responses

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

3 years ago

Jennifer Mercado
Hi Jennifer
Yes I think it is too early to return to work
Call your office and tell them you are too sick to come in Friday
If you have discomfort make sure you return to the dentist office before you return to work
and insist on an adjustment
Drink lots of seltzer and see what other people recommend that you eat and drink
Let us know about your progress so other people will know what to expect
Keep in touch
Good luck
Barbara

5 Messages

• 

102 Points

Use really bags at night on gums will help with pain

44 Messages

• 

816 Points

3 years ago

Hi Jennifer, you are in good hands with Aspen Dental! We do not have the time to discuss all that they have helped me with! And Lisa! OMG, the best! Everyone is different with pain and the time it takes to heal and those two go hand in hand! Ask the Dentist in the AM to give you off, usually a week! Because if you feel better before then at least you will be covered with a doctors excuse!  The first 2 to 3 days will be ice, ice ice and little 4x4 guaze and packing to handle the bleeding! Ask also in the am to write down what you should take for pain. They will have all this done for you! But always have a question list made out for them to answer before you leave! They are really great! I used ice pack for days and drank icy drinks. The ice helps stop the bleeding and stops the pain! But take what they want you to take!   There are some meds that cause bleeding and that would not be good, so go by their list and instructions! Try to get some rest!! I know that is hard but it really will do you good, you are in excellent hands, donna curley!

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

Hi Donna, I am curious which de ture you chose from Aspen Im thinking of switching to them for my denture and need help deciding the comfylites look like they might be the best optjon?? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

From the internet:
 Implant Supported Dentures:
  • Provide tremendous support and fixation so you can comfortably speak, chew, and smile.
  • Keep your upper and lower jaw bone from receding which prevents facial shape changes like the “shrunken” look.
  • Perfect option for patients with dentures who do not want to go through the expense required for individual tooth implants

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

Barbara not all of us can pay for implants and are stuck with what i surance will pay for unfortunatly

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Patricia Meyer:
Patricia are you sure your insurance will pay nothing toward  the implants??? 
Do  they just pay for the denture??
My insurance (when I had it)   also did not pay for my implants but they did give me some money toward everything else like the crowns and extractions etc

The over denture can have as few as 2 implants and I don't
think they need crowns? 

Most  people have the most difficulty  with the bottom denture because they float.  So they will  pay for the bottom denture and end up not being able to use it at all
I am not saying that will happen to you.

Most of us  pay for cable TV and cell service for years which ends up costing much more then an over denture or clip on

Dental colleges are usually a good way to go cost wise with implants

Why don't you  take a look at the actual cost of a bottom over denture and make sure it is out of reach

What ever you do I certainly wish you well
Good luck
Barbara

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Pat 
Do you have a partial bottom denture?
If so I think the bottom should be perfect.
If so that sounds fine for the bottom

16 Messages

• 

498 Points

3 years ago

I was in a similar situation. I will say everyone is different. I would agree take the Friday off. That will give you at least tell Monday. I felt great the first 2 days. I thought wow what a breeze the the 3rd day hit. My gums swelled a !of and I was unable to wear my dentures for several days. I found it very hard to talk, my husband said I sounded like I had a retainer in. Some spots were even still bleeding. I would say don't plush it. Not sure what you do for work but talking all day might not be easy. I am 2 weeks and 2 days out and am talking better but eating is still very hard, its either soup or something easy to chew. I would tell your boss that it might be a day by day for a bit. Since you have no idea how YOU are going to feel be cautious. I am so glad I had my teeth pulled and immediate dentures. I was so scared and nervous about pain etc.
Not 1 regret, my mouth was so infected I didn't realize how much the rest of my body was being effected. Best decision ever. Remember take your time don't force getting better. Good luck
Lorrie

89 Messages

• 

1.8K Points

3 years ago

I agree with everyone else. I had my teeth pulled a long time ago but I remember it as if it were today. The one thing they told me to do was to try my hardest to wear my denture. It helps in stopping the bleeding and helps you to not get what is called a dry socket. . A dry socket iis wherr the blood clot comes out of the hole where your tooth came out of. It leaves a dry hole which is very painful. Its caused from sucking. Like sucking through a straw, or smoking, or going without your teeth because you automatically get a sucking motion in your mouth without your denture. . I would recommend wearing your teeth. If it becomes to painful, which mine didnt go to you dentist for adjustment. A dry socket hurts worse then a abcessed tooth. I would at least take a week off. I would eat soups, soft food and get yourself some ensure for nutrition. Also ibuprofen helps with pain. Just remember and think about how beauitiful your gonna look. Go to your happy place. It really doesnt hurt that bad if they numb you right. Take care and God Bless Ask your dentist about a dry socket and how to prevent them.
Sharona

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

3 years ago

I did the same thing.  I had 22 pulled at the same time them immediate dentures put in.  I had it done on Thursday and went back to work on Monday.  I did just fine. Everybody is different.  Talking was weird for awhile. Didn't have a big issue with saliva.  I kept my dentures in for the first 2 days all the time until the dentist removed them and cleaned my gums good and put them back in.  The first few months I was thinking I had made a mistake but it got better.  I am 2 years out and doing great.  I am on my permanent dentures now a year this month.  It took alot of adjustments over the time but things are good now. I tried to wear mine all the time but my jaws get tired and even sore sometimes so I take them out at night. You will become a pro before you know it.  Just hang in there and dont give up.  It definately gets better.
Renee

50 Messages

• 

942 Points

3 years ago

I know I am wring to late I hope went it went well. I have two partials. I took the next day off two. I was fine. Eat soft foods ice cream is great. Also soup. Don't drink with a straw also crest mouth wash helps with pain also act

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

3 years ago

Leeann Beattie
Leeann
Could you rate your satisfaction level for the partials??
Could you tell us the cost of each partial and the town you are in
Are the bottom partials very comfortable???
Thanks
Barbara

50 Messages

• 

942 Points

10 I love them 600. 00 a pair eau claire wis bottom are very comfortable. I did have to get them adjusted. I went to aspen dental.

13 Messages

• 

322 Points

3 years ago

I had 17 extractions and immediate dentures on Friday, March 23, 2018. I work in an office where I am on the phone all day long. I returned to work Monday, March 26, 2018. I did have a little difficulty with the s sound. Everyone else said I sounded fine but I think you hear it so much more inside your own head... if that makes sense. Take ibuprofen and drink lots. I think you will be fine, but everyone is different. I am on day 18 and am truly amazed at how well I have adapted. I was told after my extractions that I could use powdered adhesive and that it would not disturb the stitches. So that's what I did and it helped alot. Practice talking and singing. Say your words slowly and deliberately and you will get the hang of it. Wishing you much luck.

259 Messages

• 

6.1K Points

3 years ago

I had my extractions on a Thursday. I took Friday, Monday and Tuesday off and returned on Wednesday. You may not sleep well the night you have the extractions done and the meds they give you may make you sleepy.  On E day there was a lot of saliva but I was pretty numbed but the next day when the feeling returned, I could control the saliva.  Be sure to do your salt water rinses!

9 Messages

• 

192 Points

3 years ago

Well the extraction went well, all things considered. Had to have a few rounds of extra numbing, so my gums & roof of my mouth are extremely tender... not to mention that it looks like one of my canines were ripped out sideways instead of pulled out as there is a jagged tear going up my gum.
An hour following surgery, on my way home had a bit of an emotional break down. The temps were too big and everytime I talked or opened my mouth they would slip around and easily come out. Called Aspen Dental and they had me come back right away. They said I was supposed to bite down on gauze for 2-4 hours... but no one told me that. The sheet they gave me said "if excessive bleeding" to do that... the young assistant had only been there for four months and did not want to get her in trouble... and I was honestly very nervous and having a difficult time concentrating on anything other than these large foreign objects in my mouth. The tech Megan could have been nicer, instead of telling me I needed to have "realistic expectations" & criticizing my intelligence could have been more understanding that this was all very new for me and understanding that things were obviously NOT explained very well.
Less than a week prior to the surgery, they called me saying the impression had something wrong with it and had to come in right then & there. Explained that I was serving in church and could not just leave. Asked why it took so long for them to figure this out and no one could tell me. So I asked to speak with the manager and talked to Cinderella. She assured me that everything was fine and there was a discrepancy with a tooth which was irrelevant because they were all being removed and told me to disregard. Then after I brought up that I did not like the size of the teeth was blamed because I did not come back in.
I paid for the comfilytes which are the top denture with 7 year warranty. I asked for the temp to be remade because the teeth are half the size of my real teeth and looked funny to me BEFORE any teeth were removed. I was told to talk to the dentist, which I did. They refused and stated I "can be more picky in 6 months - October 2018 - once they make my permanent denture".
Got the same answer from 3 different people including two dentists. I honestly felt like I was promised perfection & satisfaction PRIOR to paying for everything but now that its done, I am just to deal with it and "be realistic". Initially had serious regrets as they looked horribly fake to me.
The first night I was in and out of sleep and lots of pain meds. Thankfully I went to Walmart and got clay icepacks with strap so I could wrap around my head, mouth & jaw while I slept. They were less than $10.00 each, so I got two so one would always be frozen in the freezer.
Yesterday went in for adjustment and they shaved some off due to sore spots. When I asked for different spot to be shaved, she refused and told me to wait a week and if it's still bothering me, she will shave some off then. I understand that my bones will begin to shrink and they do not want to take too much off. I know this is not meant to be a cake walk by any means however the lack of compromise or even attempting to ensure I am happy or even remotely satisfied is beyond disappointing. They get PIF up front so what motivation do they have to make sure I am happy... None! I am not sure what to do or who to talk to... feels like I have hit a dead end and at their mercy to do what they want & when they want with no options or input of my own... needless to say, I am frustrated and tired of being treated like this.
After insurance I am paying $2,811.45 + interest and they are treating me like I should be grateful for what they've done... am I missing something here? Am I being unreasonable?

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Jennifer
They should not be treating you like this
You have to make them understand this is unacceptable
Tell them you have spoken to people and have been told that you should ak for your money back
Is any of this cost on a credit card???
Tell them you feel somethng is very wrong and you are going to send them a letter  asking for for a refund

You ill see how they change their tune immeiatly
You said:

"When I asked for different spot to be shaved, she refused and told me to wait a week and if it's still bothering me, she will shave some off then. "

Call them now and tell them the pain is too much and you want to come in now and have them shave  more off NOW

If they are acting this way now and you put up with it they will never do anything right going forward.  
If they do not shape up now Get a refund and get out of there.
If you put the money on a charge tell your charge company to put it all in dispute and stop the payment
Let us know how you do
Barbara

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Jennifer
Call your insurance company an tell them you are not getting what you paid for here
Ask them for some assistance
As far as your temps being wrong they must fix them now or they will never get the permanents the way you want them

These people have to take  care of you now or they will never take care of you later
Why are they mistreating you and pushing you around???
You are the customer.  
Barbara

9 Messages

• 

192 Points

$2,000.00 was applied to Genesis credit and the rest I paid with HSA and cash. I tried that already yesterday and that is when Megan stood in the doorway, with the door open for everyone to hear her telling me to have realistic expectations and how these are not going to be a replacement for real teeth. I wish I knew. No one is listening to me there. When I asked to speak to Cinderella, I was told she was working at the other office. When I called the other Aspen Dental office was told she is on vacation till next week. Then when I asked to speak with the manager there was told I had to work it out with the office where services were rendered.

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

Call corporate.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Jennifer Mercado
Jennifer first you have to sit down and deceide what YOU want to do
to be 100% good.

When you figure that out,   all of us on this site will try to help you get what you want and need.
Did you ask Genisis if there was any way they could  assist you?
What is HSA ??
What state do you live in?

Barbara