sharon_c504bb's profile

7 Messages

• 

254 Points

Sat, May 9, 2015 5:27 PM

Gagging and Coughing

I've had full dentures two years   I cough hard and then begin to gag when wearing them. I tried using Fixodent Plus which made them feel secure and noticed the gagging was less. But I still can't wear them for more than three hours. I can't even use them for eating. The dentist has told me I need implants.   Is there anyone out there who also coughs and gags? Thanks very much.

2 Messages

• 

94 Points

7 y ago

I have had mine for 9 months and only use them for work. They look great but feel terrible. I did not have money for the soft liner whatever that is, so I use poligrip...too much zinc for me in Fixodent. So, the teeth do not come down correctly to eat, chew...etc...so no more dining out and do not want to hear anymore stories of folks who walk around in restaurants, etc without their teeth. I try to live with this but folks keep forgetting and inviting me out. Back to the coughing and gagging...I do experience quite a bit of coughing...I think saliva keeps getting down the wrong way.

7 Messages

• 

254 Points

Zenobia,

Just posted the same problem as you have.  Read the reply from Maureen who uses sea bond adhesive strips on the top denture and Fixodent true feel with a strip of sea bond on the lower.  I am desperate to regain my old life again.  I know just how you feel.  I've been so embarrassed when in public I coughed and gagged so bad my lower denture kind of flew out of my mouth.  That has happened twice.  I had my dentures relined in the soft twice but on the third time they used hard.  It seemed the hard has been a little better.  I am anxious to try anything!  You've had your dentures for 9 months and it sounds like you are eating alone at home!!!  I will eat without dentures in front of my immediate family but not happy doing so.  I only put the dentures in when I go out for a few hours and even then it can be a disaster.  You have my absolute sympathy Zenobia. Perhaps sticking with this website we can finally find an answer and live normal lives again. I'm going to try the Sea Bond.  Good luck.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I've tried Fixodent regular, and zinc free fixodent. What I want to know is why I gag using the regular one, but I don't gag using the zinc free. Also I can't eat with my dentures in, I'm afraid they will break

221 Messages

• 

5.9K Points

It's probably the taste and one could be holding better than the other so less movement. I've had mine for 6 months. I have my immediates, at the moment and am going through fittings for my permanent dentures. I do a ton of gagging when they come loose. I use an ezo pad on my lowers for a better fit. I don't think your dentures will break when you eat. If your fit is off, they slide around and feels damn strange.

4 Messages

• 

350 Points

7 y ago

I had this same problem until I talked to my older brother who got his dentures before me. I have only had dentures since Feb . My brother suggested to try Sea Bond adhesive strips. I went to the store and bought these strips - the strips also purpose for a cushioning to fill in the gap between your dentures and the gum line, and will fill in the little pockets where seeds can get in - I also use Fix - O Dent (no zinc) True Feel formula on the bottom denture, then I place a Sea Bond strip over the Fix O Dent adhesive (moisten the strip with water first before placing on bottom denture. Place denture in mouth and hold down for 30 seconds. I eat a soft breakfast and drink my coffee before I put my dentures in place. If I want "all day hold" I do not eat anything for at least 2 hours - to give the adhesive a chance to really grip. My heart pours out for you. I hope this info is of some help to you. I want for you to go out and eat with your friends - you deserve to be happy.

7 Messages

• 

254 Points

Thank you so much Maureen.  This has been a nightmare.  I truly like my dentist but he just shrugs and says "implants".  I don't have $12,000.  I will get the Sea Bond strips and Fixodent True Feel formula and give that a try.  I truly appreciate your empathy and suggestions.  To be able to once again join people for a dinner would be so awesome!!!  Thanks again.

7 Messages

• 

210 Points

I was reading thru what was posted on the gagging. I was just wondering if the uppers can be shortened to prevent gagging. Because i just got full upper and lower dentures but can not wear them because i gag so bad with them in.

221 Messages

• 

5.9K Points

7 y ago

I have problems with gagging if they come loose. My lowers last 3 to 4 hours depending on what I eat or drink. Uppers are better but I just had a soft reline. I'd experiment with different types of adhesive and consult a different dentist on making this better for you. :)

41 Messages

• 

782 Points

7 y ago

I have had my uppers and lowers for about a month now and mine stay in for about 48 hours. Sometimes, I have trouble getting the uppers out. Fixodent with Scope really works wonders for me.

2 Messages

• 

80 Points

Try rinsing your mouth with warm for about 30 seconds or have your coffee . The warmth should loosen the adhesive and they should come out a little easier.

2 Messages

• 

94 Points

7 y ago

Thanks for all the good advice and I love the way Sharon says the dentist says implants. Like just "go get" them. I do not have the $1, 000 plus for the reline, so these hard plastic things are in my mouth all day at the office ( I don't get paid a bundle...I am a senior on a fixed income) and hey! good thing I live and work in the same building, so I shoot around to my apartment and re-glue ( just my own little terminology) so I can get through the rest of the day. I have used every excuse to not eat in the presence of others, so "let's all go to lunch" has become a time I want to shrink out of sight. I used to love going out to eat and have not done so in a long time. Tired of explaining in the nicest way without grossing people out. Some folks understand while others turn away as if I just said I eat spiders or something. I will stick with this forum and again thanks so much. I was becoming a recluse. I do eat without them around close family members but find myself covering my mouth when I "chew".

7 Messages

• 

254 Points

7 y ago

Zenobia, I can sure identify with you!  I'm retired but if I worked I don't know what I would have done.  I can't believe you must leave work to re-glue during the day, that is going above and beyond.  Not sure what part of the country you live in, where I live to have dentures relined costs $300.  If you live near where there is a dental school you could perhaps go there and receive a much reduced cost.  I don't live near one.  Perhaps they were talking about getting you new dentures.  I'm not sure how immediate dentures work with follow up.  I think this is a good website for information and hopefully you can find the help you need.  Good luck.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

Sharon, sorry if I'm late to the conversation but I just saw your original post.  When I first got my upper plate I gagged too, but that I slowly got over.  The coughing is something else...

Is it possible that your plate is "too long" in the back and aggravating your soft palate or uvula (that little thing that dangles down in your throat)?  It might be worth asking your dentist if it can be thinned or shortened somehow.

I've been VERY happy with the SeaBond wafers for the upper plate.  I have to trim them to fit because they're too large, but they hold firmly all day long.  I still have a temporary upper plate while they're making the final one, so it doesn't fit at all without the SeaBond, but with the SeaBond it stays in place well.  Anyone who's having difficulty with tube adhesives might want to give them a try.  (I don't know how they work on the lowers, since I still have some lower teeth and a bridge.)

Good luck to all!

7 Messages

• 

254 Points

Thanks Marion.  I'd all but lost hope of finding a resolution but this website offers options people having similar problems use.  I am willing to try anything.  When first getting dentures the dentist gave me a small box of lower plate SeaBond.  I'd never tried them before.  They must be trimmed as look quite large.  The dentist spent a lot of time trimming the uppers and lowers to the point he felt it was making matters worse.  I am going to try the SeaBond and hopefully that might help.  I believe the gagging and coughing is because the dentures are loose.  Right now I use Fixodent Plus Gum Care and can only wear the dentures a few hours before I begin to cough and gag.  What I wouldn't give to live a normal life again!!!!  Thanks for your input and support!!!!

3 Messages

• 

104 Points

A soft liner was put in my dentures two weeks after extractions. The gagging started. I went back and they made some adjustments. Got home and I was still gagging. I cut the soft liner in the back down to meet the the original plate and NO gagging since. Am so happy!

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

6 y ago

Has anyone else had just a coughing issue? My throat gets all dry and my eyes water & I just cough & cough. I have a lower denture ( temporary ) I have the implant posts in but am waiting to heal up for the permanent...Every adhesive I try makes me cough & cough. Creams, powder & strips.  The denture itself seems to fit fine. No gagging or anything...The last two days I have been going without any adhesive & the cough seems to be going away... but it's hard to eat with my teeth floating around. My doctor is clueless when it comes to dentures or adhesives. I'm thinking the glue stuff must be dissolving & irritating my throat. 

1.7K Messages

• 

26.6K Points

Hey Julie it sounds like you're having a reaction. I think you should stop using adhesive and unfortunately deal with the flopping around until you're ready for your implant retained denture. Try chewing on both sides at the same time. This might help a bit.

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

Yeah, I'm trying! Great way to loose weight I guess! :/

1 Message

• 

82 Points

That's exactly what's going on with me.. I thought I had some type of illness.. Like why am I coughing so much? I just got diagnosed with bronchitis and I have symptoms like someone with asthma... So everytime I start coughing... It brings on a mild asthma attack. When I don't have my top denture in I am ok...but I hate the way I look without them... Soon that fixodent starts to seep down my throat.... I know it irritates my throat and the coughing attack begins.

1 Message

• 

62 Points

Yes I find when wearing dentures for a certain amount of time I get coughing attacks and end up not able to eat as I end up coughing in between and not sleeping as I cough throughout but won’t take them out due to looking old

1 Message

• 

60 Points

My 66 year old brother has upper n lower dentures and he scares me, he doesn't use any adhesive but after he takes his dentures out is when he starts coughing no gagging just coughing I'd like to know why that happens