Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

719 Messages

• 

11.3K Points

Sun, May 12, 2019 7:53 PM

Eating and cleaning when using adhesive

Now that I can actually eat a little I have a question. I’ve heard you should remove your denture and clean after every meal. Since I’m using adhesive, it’s in there pretty good. Should I pry it loose after I eat, clean it, then use adhesive and put it back in? Should I do this every time, once a day? Without adhesive it’s pretty easy to take it out. Right now it’s not so simple.

Responses

146 Messages

• 

3.5K Points

a year ago

I don't take mine out after eating. I put it in first thing in the morning and take it out at bedtime. I clean it overnight.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

I think if you are at home using a water pic to get debrei/food out  (without removing the denture)   
would work well after a meal

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

Never thought of that, lol I didnt think people used those anymore with all the different electric and battery operated toothbrushes available. I might have to get one, Most men dont carry bags with them but I myself carry and extra little bag in my purse with a travel tooth brush a tiny tube of extra adhesive, and a travel size toothpaste in case of bad breath cause carrying mouthwash could get messy, so I will put a dab of toothpaste on my tongue and brush that and rinse real well, maybe the guys could keep something in the glove box for when they go out to eat they can grab it and hit the restroom after dinner real qujck.

119 Messages

• 

2K Points

Never done the water pic before. I do however put extra adhesive at the bottom of my lunch bag encase I need some at any point in the day which I never do. But also i place it under my freezer ice packs so it stays cold as in Texas it gets hot and changes the adhesive from thick to greasy runny slime. And I do have along with it a battery powered toothbrush which is the same size as the denture small brush end. Of course I have in my car a tin of Altoids as well. LOL 

30 Messages

• 

680 Points

what adhesive  do you use nothing works on me seabond WAS the best not anymore .My teeth move when i chew forget about eating meat no way just soft food.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Sharon C Hazelet-Torfs
If you can afford implants for your lower dentures that will solve your problem\
Your teeth will not shift and  you will not need glue 
It will be an over denture or a clip on denture

12 Messages

• 

282 Points

a year ago

Same.  I put mine in at about 5:30am and they stay in until time for bed.  I soak them overnight using polident and then I rinse and brush them off in the morning.  I wait until morning to brush them because it's a lot easier to remove any leftover adhesive.

119 Messages

• 

2K Points

a year ago

Hello Charlie I actually don't do that, that takes up too much time. I can't imagine taking the time per each meal and snack doing that omg I would be thoroughly frustrated! The adhesive should with snug dentures keep food out thus after meals I just rinse with some water whenever I am going to the rest room, a little swish of mouthwash if I have some with me and keep it moving until around bed time then I remove them and clean them well and gargle with mouthwash and peroxide which breaks up the adhesive pretty well, keeps germs away and heals and restores the mouth of any issues. I tend to work to much to have time to do that, i suspect if a person is retired or have alot of time on there hands they could do that. I honestly have never done that ever.... Abit of rinsing with water is all that you need....

719 Messages

• 

11.3K Points

Cool, I doubted many people did that. Let me just say I’m so glad to eat again. I feel human

719 Messages

• 

11.3K Points

a year ago

Just wondering. Mine don’t seal the best right now. Pretty loose, so stuff might get under them. Reline In 4 days (I hope). Lots of healing going on.

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

a year ago

I rinse my mouth after I eat I even brush my denture ligbtly but I dont remove it until the end of the day, my bottoms usually pop up halfway thru the day I do rinse them before putting product on them and putting them back in my mouth

119 Messages

• 

2K Points

Exactly Patricia I'm with you, got your email also haven't had a chance to check it yet but other than rinsing i don't know anyone that removes and cleans them per meal and snack that would be such a time constraint for working people who are already under time constraints to make time for such balderdash in my opinion....

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

I can see if they are loose and adhesive isnt really holding them anyway, yes then maybe take them out, you dont want food up there all day, but if you have a good strong hold you dont want to hurt your gum tissue by forcing them out constantly either, last week I took mine out to early and I did rip my gum a little and for 4 days it really hurt, and it was a tiny spot

119 Messages

• 

2K Points

That's a good point Patricia. a tiny rip- Yikes! I had that once. If i am having a bit of a difficulty getting the denture to come off. I try some hot water to help loosen them, that is after having them in all day long thou and that helps.... Sorry to hear you had a sore spot and a rip geez...

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

YES WARM WATER RINSE

119 Messages

• 

2K Points

a year ago

OK I see, the recline will help so much i've had it done twice already, i'll say this as well the rubberized coating causes adhesives to stick and hold better too for me I've noticed. Im using predominately for the bottom a thin layer of poligrip applied or spread on with a qtip and poligrip powder and the hold so tight in place even after applying it at like 7am by night fall im fighting to get the thing off to clean. But that's precisely the type of grip, hold that I want throughout the day..

119 Messages

• 

2K Points

a year ago

I like my dentures so snugly tight in place that they don't even move when I touch or jiggle them or try moving them. Natural teeth which are within the bone don't move so these are suppose to mimic natural teeth are they not, thus I want mines to be so snug in place that I don't have to think about them and adhesive with the glue does provide that all day long... I want to forget that I am even wearing dentures throughout the day and I do sometimes.

30 Messages

• 

680 Points

what adhesive do you use?

146 Messages

• 

3.5K Points

a year ago

Forgetting I am wearing is the one thing that hasn't happened for me yet. I wear them all day. I eat. I talk normally. But, there is not a minute that I forget they are there. I am constantly aware of the hunk of plastic. How do you do it?

719 Messages

• 

11.3K Points

I use powder adhesive on the top. I have forgetter about them a couple different times in the last day or two. Maybe for half an hour or so. Either way it’s progress

119 Messages

• 

2K Points

Exactly Charlie its progress otherwise we play mind games with our own disenfranchisement. We mentally antagonize ourselves with psychological perceptivity.  We ask ourselves if everyone looking at us see our smile as dentures or who looks at us, if they know that I am wearing dentures... I've done it and do it myself... So i realize its us, no one else is aware or even gives a care.... its all within our own minds, thoughts....

275 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

I WANT THAT PROGRESS LOL I DOUBT IT EVER THOUGH YES IM YELLING LOL

719 Messages

• 

11.3K Points

You can get there. It may take us years, but they are a part of us. We just gotta acclimate.

119 Messages

• 

2K Points

" Your yelling HAHA OMG you make me laugh. " Well this ideal of wearing dentures is for as long as we live accept we get four in ones or implants, this is our lives, for the rest of our lives! We may as well accept it and obtain some peace and resolution through it's acceptance or accept defeat and self rejection from it within ourselves....       
Which shall we convey within and of ourselves?

119 Messages

• 

2K Points

a year ago

Well this recalling recollection of our dentures is one's own physiological psychological, psychical self torture. In that no one else is thinking about them as you go throughout the day, thus you are the only one, or rather we are the only ones consciously aware, subconsciously centralized on the thought of its awareness that we are wearing dentures. Sometimes for reasons of fear, trepidation of them becoming loose, moving, jiggling or otherwise. Thus I then remove or try removing my thoughts about them or regarding them as long as I know that they are securely tightly in place with enough grit which the adhesive and powder does. We play mind games with ourselves oft over various concerns but in this regard its a matter oft of fear,  consternation, worry, anxiety which is but our own mental infliction thus I simply refuse to focus on them, the dentures, that is, they are not going to rule my life or my day to day over the unknown or concerns and become my self infliction.... I am aware of them but they are truly suppose to become as our natural teeth were which we under most conditions never had to think about throughout the day..... We can't allow our dentures to become our own castigation this is or becomes a self imprisonment within itself.... In my humble opinion...

719 Messages

• 

11.3K Points

Preach!

119 Messages

• 

2K Points

It is true we are our own worse enemies!!!! We are....

119 Messages

• 

2K Points

No one else is thinking about us having or wearing dentures but us, when you smile they see a smile, but when you smile you think its with false teeth, these dentures by which I smile. Thus our own minds impermeates our whole thought, and our whole thought pictorially displays before us with feelings of displeasure or uneasement that we have these dentures, thus we are not truly free within ourselves of ourselves and that which defines us is that which we imprison ourselves by and with. I can speak on that which I am aware that I do myself within myself until I become free from myself I am broken, agonizing within myself.... Not trying to tell anyone how or what to do, just relating what we do and how we do it or rather how I do it and how I am working or trying to work to get away from that which I am doing against myself for the sake of real peace, happiness, tranquility, peace of mind and to love myself even with dentures....

119 Messages

• 

2K Points

a year ago

Perhaps you all agree!