judysky's profile

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

Mon, Feb 1, 2021 7:28 AM

Dentures without pain meds?

I just found this forum and I'm so glad.  You are all my heroes.  My mom had dentures and had loads of problems with them, hence my reluctance to get them.  But, after years of depression and the meds that come with that and other problems I'm forced into doing something I never wanted to do.  My teeth are crumbling and falling out when I eat.  Ugh.  Here's one of my problems.  I'm extremely sensitive to opiates and can't take insaids.  The only pain reliever I can take is extra strength Tylenol, which actually sometimes works. 😅  I am so afraid of the pain I might have.  I can take opiates, it just causes an unbearable itch all over.  I'm diabetic and have thyroid problems which causes an all over body itch to begin with.  Can anyone relate to this or have any advice?  I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on this as soon as I can pull all the money together. Thanks in advance......

Responses

89 Messages

• 

3.9K Points

9 m ago

Judy: I am diabetic and got dentures about 4 years ago. I understand the problems with NSAIDs and with opiates for pain relief, and I do not take either one. However, my own experience included taking Advil (an NSAID) for about 7 days after the extractions - despite the general warning against doing so - and I applied Orajel to the gums for about the same period.

I have not taken an NSAID or an opiate since then, but the Advil got me through a rough but manageable week. Your dentist should be able to advise you on the best way for you to manage the pain that comes with the extractions, but you should know that the discomfort is only temporary.

I don't post here very often and only when someone asks a question that I have specific experience with. Each time, however, I emphasize that everyone is different, and their experience will be unique to them. That's why a good dentist who knows you is essential to a positive outcome.

For my part, I stopped taking the Advil after 7 days with no consequences, and after about 10 days my mouth had pretty much healed. I am grateful that I made the decision to resolve my dental issues, and I am healthier today because I did. If you can save your teeth, do so. But that isn't always an option, and it wasn't for me.

You will find that most of those on this site have navigated this journey successfully, and they are willing to share their positive experiences with you. Good luck to you. The good people on here are behind you. Joseph

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

@joseph_83049c 

Thank you Joseph for your reply.  I have wondered many times what I would do or how I would respond if God forbid I was involved in a horrible car crash and couldn't take opiates.  I'm assuming I would have to be sedated.  Actually, in 2005 I needed surgery on a disk in my neck and was provided with the personal pain pump.  I eyed that thing like it was a venomous snake.  Members of my family were gathered around my bed when I hit the button the first time.  If I could have watched my reaction from afar I'm sure it would have been hilarious.  I actually got to my knees in bed when the morphine hit me, (or whatever it was).  I felt hot and flushed, then the itching began.  I had to apologize to everyone there.  I wanted to beg for mercy.  Anyway, I got through that with my Tylenol only.
No nsaids for me due  to a previous heart attack and GERD.  I'm sure I'll get through it fine.  I'm still just pretty scared.  Again, thank you for responding so quickly.  I appreciate all the support I can get.  😊

1 Message

• 

60 Points

9 m ago

Hi judysky you don't need any pain killers to help you get through this. When I had my teeth pulled, the pain I felt after was unbearable but couldn't take any pain meds tdue to medical reasons so instead I was given CoraCaine, it is a denture ointment that works like glue also but it numbs your gums so you don't feel any pain. I hope this helps.

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

@dmartinez1981 

Wow, it sure does help!  I hope I can remember this info.  Thank you very much!🤗

9 Messages

• 

168 Points

3 m ago

I just had my bottom teeth extracted and an immediate denture put in 2 days ago and my dentist didn't give me anything for pain.  Told me to alternate Tylenol and ibuprofen a d then to rinse with warm salt water. None of that is touching the pain im going through. Its ridiculous 

6 Messages

• 

122 Points

@Lindy Bolen same here day 4 of the full mouth extraction and the immediate dentures shoved in my mouth. I can’t keep them on   Hurts too much. Stitches all over my gums. And 4 surgical implants. 

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

@Lindy Bolen Hi,  i just had my uppers extracted and the dentist told me Advil would be sufficient. Which is laughable.  I'm on day 6 right now,  but on day two I had to contact the office and ask for pain killers.  I got Norco and it just helps enough combined with Advil, Tylenol and Orajel in easing the pain.  Maybe you can ask for some too? I couldn't do this without them,  I was crying in the middle of the night without it.  I hope you find relief soon.  

9 Messages

• 

168 Points

I have asked 2 times now and they still refuse to give me any. But im feeling better not finally so I do t rly need them anymore. My denture rubbed my gum to the bone so I was in extreme pain and they still did nothing.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

@Lindy Bolen that's awful.  I can't imagine we're out here with procedures being done and denied medication because a subjective opinion is allowed to call that shot.  It's not like you're asking after you've healed.  Anyway I'm glad to hear you're doing better. You've made me grateful for what I've got,  that's horrible with it being rubbed down to the bone,  ugh. 

7 Messages

• 

144 Points

3 m ago

Most of the pain should be gone in less than 24 hours. At least mine was. Had 19 removed. While my gums still looked like grape jelley, and some bruising was visible outside my mouth on my cheeks and jaw, the majority of the pain was tolerable after that without meds. 

6 Messages

• 

122 Points

@Alias 7 are you wearing immediate dentures right now?  Do they hurt ?