Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

9 Messages

• 

184 Points

Tue, Aug 18, 2015 9:26 PM

Dentist said no Benzodent, adhesives, or mouth wash...really??

It's been 7 days since I had 20 extractions and dentures put in immediately after. The pain has gotten better, especially after she did a few adjustments, but the Benzodent has still been a lifesaver. However, she told me yesterday not to use it for at least a week or two..that she's worried the gunk will get in the extraction holes (I don't have any stitches). She also said no adhesives until the gums heal. The bottoms are pretty loose and I really have trouble eating. And she said no mouthwash! What should I do about my stank breath, lol? Are all these instructions normal? I've read a lot of boards and I know I've seen people using all three at this point...but maybe I'm wrong and just impatient!

Responses

14 Messages

• 

324 Points

5 years ago

There is no way to not use adhesives until you get your permanent ones in 6 months. Also my dentist said I could use the crest mouthwash without alcohol. If u dont use adhesive u will not be able to eat. Adhesives are essential fir the first 6 months.

70 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

Ms Moody, you need to do what your dentist tells you to do; everyone is different and the dentist's advice is for your individual situation.  You could rinse with warm salt water to make your mouth feel cleaner and to soothe the soreness in your gums. This solution will not hurt the holes at all; actually, it will help them to heal.  I know the bottoms are a real hassle when trying to eat - what I did for a few weeks was to limit my meals to soft food; i.e., mashed potatoes, oatmeal, applesauce, ice cream and jello. This diet is not at all something to savor, but when you have to get your natural teeth replaced, this is just one of the things you must tolerate the best way possible. Also, I would definitely NOT use any kind of adhesive. It is best if you don't EVER use it but especially not recommended for right now while your gums are healing. I hope these few words will be helpful in your struggle; believe me, it will get better.

Wanda

347 Messages

• 

8.2K Points

Maybe you could use the tapes. That peels off and doesn't leave gook in your mouth. I use Secure, but Sea Bond is in stores.

70 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

You need to trust your dentist and do as he (she) says

9 Messages

• 

184 Points

She had never even heard of Benzodent and told me to just use orajel instead. I'm not sure what the difference is, other than Benzodent lasts longer and works better. She's also the one who told me to take my dentures out every 30 minutes to suck on an ice cube on my first day. It was awful, so painful to get them back in, and it took so long that by the time I got them in, it was almost time to take them out again. I get it about the adhesive...I'll wait at least another week or so.
I also have a little piece of bone sticking out of my gum. When I told her about it, she said it would smooth down on it's own, but I can feel it moving like a piece of glass, almost like I could pull out right out. So, I'll listen to her about everything but the Benzodent, lol. I just don't know how I'd talk or eat without it!

347 Messages

• 

8.2K Points

Sometimes the piece of bone comes out on its own but not always. I had a piece that had to be taken out and an abscess was found in gum.

25 Messages

• 

650 Points

5 years ago

On Day 15, I began using Fixodent. It was a pain but well worth the wait. With regards to mouthwash, I use Crest Pro Health for the gums. I do have 6 teeth (lol) so I also use the mouthwash for them too. I go for my final reline tomorrow (8/19) which will be 6 months since my E-Day (Extraction Day) and things are much better. I feel your pain as I went through it myself and thought I would never be able to eat again.

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

5 years ago

I had 22 teeth taken out 19 days ago along with eight bone graphs. I've not used anything to this point. I've been scared to get anything in the holes that are there where the teeth came out. They said they should close up in 4 to 6 weeks. In the mean time I've not eaten anything too solid yet and have lost 17 pounds. Those of you that have used Fixodent or a like product...is it ok to use it while you still have those open holes in your mouth? It would sure be nice to eat something solid!

70 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

No, it is definitely NOT okay to use that stuff - just keep your mouth rinsed well with warm salt water, especially after eating and at bedtime........As far as eating goes, I ate a lot of mashed potatoes, cinnamon oatmeal, ice cream, jello, applesauce; stuff like that.  Those are easy to eat because you can kinda "squash" that up into the roof of your mouth; chewing not necessary. The potatoes that I used (and still do because they are so tasty) are the instant potatoes that come in a small bag and all you do is boil 2 cups of water and pour that over all of the potatoes in the bag. I season them up with 3 tablespoons of butter, salt, and pepper.......they are delicious!  I weigh 118 lbs and have not lost any weight at all on this soft diet. Just give this a try - hope I've helped a little bit!

Wanda

9 Messages

• 

184 Points

5 years ago

That's what I'm saying lol. I didn't have a lot of back teeth on the bottom so I started using a little adhesive powder just on the spots that were already gone. It's not enough to actually hold for a long time but it's helped a little.