Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

1 Message

• 

190 Points

Sun, Feb 16, 2014 9:20 PM

Why do my dentures come out every time I eat? I can't eat or they fall out.

When I try to eat my dentures fall out! Why do they come out every time i eat?

Responses

4 Messages

• 

470 Points

7 years ago

Me too. I just hit the year mark and have never ever been able to eat with my bottom dentures in and the top almost always get thrown off balance and come unsuctioned, thus falling out. I have tried adhesives and they ooze causing extra saliva all day. I had adjustments and everytime I leave the dentist they have told me that I just need to learn how to chew with dentures. Unless they are screwed down they are going to move. Signed, Miserable and Wants her teeth back!

131 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience, Karie. A lower denture can cause more grief than an upper denture.  It will take time for the muscles of your lips, cheeks & tongue to "learn" to hold your lower in place. You may want to try experimenting with the amount of adhesive that's right for you so it doesn't ooze all day, as I can imagine how frustrating that is. Also, you could try a powder adhesive to see if that makes a difference with your dentures. All versions of Fixodent are formulated to hold all day, but some members have had better experiences with the powder version.

Keep in touch to let us know how you're doing!

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

i have problem  with my bottom ones I have had my dentures for almost a week I put them in with Fixodent and go to eat my bottoms come lose and want to fall out how can I stop that

254 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

smart flex

1 Message

• 

80 Points

i have duntures myself had all these problem everyone talking about i found that powder does the job but whatch what you eat and dont try drink anything hot or they will soften the dentures glue so if you need eat anything hot or drink it do it at home with them off or try drink it hot at home for practice having them on you will get used to them eventually so takes time patience

1 Message

• 

64 Points

I feel the same way :-(

62 Messages

• 

1.8K Points

7 years ago

I feel bad for you both but this is all way to common, I must ask did you get your dentures in one day or was this a process of many steps,,, making dentures is really a lost art. I would love to explain everything about dentures from patient,, dentist and lab view points,, I am going to prepare a paper on dentures that every person needs to know I will post it on this site very soon I have read just about every question on this site and most of what I read is that patients are so sadly misinformed about there teeth before they start with dentures and even after they get them. I cant change a tire but I have spent my life working with acrylic porcelain teeth, to the point of this is all I do.. I do really enjoy my job and have seen many many great cases . I own a dental lab...thank you

11 Messages

• 

278 Points

I would love to read your thoughts on dentures .

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I paid 1000 pounds for my top teeth and the only way can keep them in is to stick in wanted them screwed in but have no jawbone

3 Messages

• 

100 Points

I had these ones done over 4 visits

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I've just had 3 teeth out 1 at the top and 2 at the bottom so I've had upper and lower partial dentures now that the injections have worn off I can t even smile without both falling out surely this can't be normal how am I supposed to go out in public if my dentures are falling out every time I smile please help me

9 Messages

• 

206 Points

I am very interested in reading your paper. I went to a place called TLC Dental and the dentist told me that in 6 months i will get permanent dentures. Now the dentist tells me if i want permanent dentures i'll have to pay more. Did i pay over $5,ooo.oo dollars for temporary dentures? I better not have. I'm not as rich as Rockefeller!

4 Messages

• 

470 Points

7 years ago

I would be very interested in reading this. I have ideas of ways to make dentures so that they are not only more comfortable but actually functional. I am just not sure if its been attempted or how one would go about bringing this alternative from an idea to a exsistance.

62 Messages

• 

1.8K Points

7 years ago

run it by me if you want to, I always listen to patients that are wearing acrylic in their mouths,,, matter of fact a patient asked me about how to fit her lower denture in her mouth exactly like her first denture that was made 20 years ago. she made a suggestion and I was able to make it work for her,,,,,

131 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

7 years ago

Hi Cynthia, I know it's disappointing when your teeth come loose. Are you new to dentures?  If so, as your gums heal from extractions, they will shrink and change, which can cause your teeth to become loose. Be sure to visit your dentist for adjustments, and you may want to ask about a reline. Hang in there, it will get better!

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

i have problem  with my bottom ones I have had my dentures for almost a week I put them in with Fixodent and go to eat my bottoms come lose and want to fall out how can I stop that

254 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

i n fix

3 Messages

• 

240 Points

5 years ago

I have had my dentures for 8 months i still cant chew food. Its so depressing. I tried having soup yesterday and my bottom dentures fell out. I cant leave them out because i work with the public. I cant afford implants but i cant stand these dentures much longer. I really need some help. Tried all types of adhesives and realigns nothing helping

1 Message

• 

102 Points

Same here except I'm at 5 weeks with full immediate dentures , still not even close to chewing food ! I have to take bottoms out to eat or they lift up

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Can i c a pic plz how r u coping with a full top set plz

1 Message

• 

120 Points

My bottom temp denture doesn't Stay in. I have been told by Dentist I should have Implants. Would he like to Pay!! The technician told me that the gums are still healing and I.Must not be using the adhesive properly me I put down $3000. The $3000 doesn't even include the REAL Denture. And I will never be done. Without bottom teeth what am I supposed to do. I have not eaten anything solid food for a very long time. I will have to get used to it Because there's no guarantee that the Real Denture will fit better.
Wow, I have been so depressed and just don't know what to do.

15 Messages

• 

308 Points

Kathleen Ryan......Dry bottom denture and use some poligrip or whatever adhesive you are using, 3 small strips then spread with a q-tip. Spritz with water and then use some powder adhesive and tap denture like you would a baking pan with flour. Repeat one more time, make sure to spritz with water before putting dentures in, believe me it's like super glue, they won't move. Check out some video's on YouTube. I was desperate, that's where I learned this technique. Please let me know if this helped.

9 Messages

• 

206 Points

Try  using Poligrip super hold cream, it helps me a little better.

32 Messages

• 

852 Points

5 years ago

Restababe....I feel your frustration as mine do the same thing. I even chipped off part of the top tooth because it fell out while "trying" to chew. The bottom also popped up at the same time and I had a wad of dentures dancing in my mouth. Embarrassed is not the word. I think devistated is more like it. This while trying to eat a piece of a fresh baked bread roll.
Last week someone mentioned a product called fiddycent. I googled it and a website for Secure came up. It's a water proof sealant. I sent an email and asked if there was anyway I could get a sample because I am spending 30 bucks a week on this/that trying to find something to keep them in my mouth. Today I received a full tube, pkg of cleansers and a pkg of bottom denture cushion adhesives. It's late in the afternoon here in Texas so I will try it in the morning and let you know how they worked. Some of the testimonials I read say they stayed in on some people for 2-3 days.
The box said 12 hours but there are some people that are reporting the 2-3 day success.

3 Messages

• 

240 Points

I have the secure it doesnt work any bettet than the othet stuff..

472 Messages

• 

14.2K Points

Then you're doing it wrong! If your dentures fit halfway decent, secure rocks! If you have a loose fit nothing is going to work very well.

254 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

smart flex denture soulutions

254 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

tji will fix 

9 Messages

• 

206 Points

If Secure works that good i think i'll try that next.
]

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

5 years ago

I think I'm ready to give up on ever eating solid food again! It happened once, a few weeks ago. I was able to eat 1 small slice of pizza. Since then I can't chew or I wind up with my bottoms sideways in my mouth, usually choking on the food, my teeth gagging me and making my mouth hurt - basically an awful disgusting mess. I refuse to eat anywhere except the privacy of my bedroom ALONE.

I can only get 4- 6 hours of holding on the bottoms and that's only if I don't eat or drink anything except maybe a few sips of room temperature water.

They say it gets better. I pray they are right!

114 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

AlicaP this was 6 months ago. How are your dentures now? And what adhesive do you use?

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

I'm so happy with my teeth! I rarely use any adhesive, even on the bottoms. I've practiced chewing things that you don't HAVE to chew, just to get the muscles strengthened to keep the dentures in place.

Last night I ate 2 slices of pizza, including the crust, along with 2 boneless chicken wings and I didn't use any adhesive! I also ate half of a loaded omelet the other day without adhesive.

If I'm going somewhere that there will be a lot of talking and not a ton of eating, I use Fixodent powder on the tops and bottoms.

If I'm going to be eating a large meal, like a steak (honestly, any kind of meat that needs to be cut up) then I use Secure paste on top and strips on the bottom. Sometimes I will sprinkle some Fixodent powder on top of the Secure.

I have my permanent dentures now, have had since early February. They are completely different than the immediate ones much thinner palate, sharper teeth and an excellent fit!

Just remember to take your time and have small bites on each side so that you are chewing evenly.

My biggest suggestions is to make sure that you ALWAYS have a napkin on your lap (just in case you need to cover your mouth to 'adjust' anything. Also, excuse yourself when you are done eating, to go to the restroom and make sure there isn't any food on your teeth - remember that we can't feel that anymore!

Thank you for asking!

114 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

I don't have my dentures yet just trying to be prepared. I go for my consultation on April 12th at Aspen Dental. I already got a quote from AD. not sure who I am going with just yet. Hopefully Aspen Dental won't be too much more expensive because it's a lot closer to me :)

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

I had an entire novel typed out as some advice, unfortunately my phone crashed and I lost it. I PROMISE to retype it tomorrow.

Where are you from?

114 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

Hi AliciaP!! I'm about 20 miles south of Nashville in a small town called Spring Hill. :)
I look forward to reading your novel heheheh.

I hope you have an excellent day :)

1 Message

• 

140 Points

5 years ago

I've been trying to wear my full set of dentures for about a year and a half now and still have trouble with them. My favorite food is pizza and can't eat it with or without the dentures. I was told to try mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese, the food sticks to the upper roof of the dentures and pieces get stuck between the lowers and my mouth. I can't even take my medicines with them in; the pills get hung up and I get choked. And sometimes my mouth gets so dry I can't even talk; Biotene does not help and I have to carry a bottle of Pepsi or water everywhere I go; even to church where I teach two classes and lead the singing.

I'm so aggravated but if I go without them, people make fun of me----even the preacher in his sermon. I do have a great smile now but my gums are so painful most of my smiles are phony. I am like you AliciaP, I refuse to eat out and only eat with my dentures out, sitting in my bedroom, by myself and watching TV.

I'm single, 66 years old, and it's hard to get a date when they know I won't eat when going to a restaurant.

I also have a lot of trouble cleaning my mouth, trying to get the glue out. It sometimes takes 30 minutes or longer to get it all out. I use Fixodent (both glue and powder). The powder is easier on my gums but they still hurt. If there's an easy way to get all the glue out, I would surely like to know. A toothbrush is not much help and I wind up picking the glue out with my fingers.

Help! Help! Help!

Terry D. Rogers

9 Messages

• 

206 Points

Hi Terry, i use Poligrip denture cream in the tube and, yes, it's a mess to clean out. Try using Clean It Denture Wipes. They work very good for me. Good luck!

2 Messages

• 

82 Points

Use a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol on the dentures

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I use interdental brush cleaners . Little tiny brushes....you can run them over the adhesive on your gums and as it catches twist the brush like rolling spaghetti on your fork. I then pull it between tissue to remove the adhesive it had on it and repeat until its off my gums. Works like a charm and then toss it when you are done.

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

5 years ago

Terry, they make wipes to remove the residue from the adhesives. I haven't tried them yet as I am waiting for them to come in the mail-I ordered them from Amazon.

Have you tried Secure? I LOVE it! I use the paste on the tops (watch YouTube videos about how to apply and DEFINITELY start with a small amount and go from there). I then use the Secure strips on the lowers. I have actually dined with my entire family - Thanksgiving . I took my time but was able to eat EVERYTHING!

I will add my usual disclaimer

***THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE, YOUR EXPERIENCE MAY BE DIFFERENT***