Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

235 Messages

• 

5.2K Points

Sun, Oct 1, 2017 11:48 PM

Who are you comfortable letting see you without your teeth?

I'm still less than a week into having all my teeth pulled, and I'm wondering how people feel about having the dentures out in front of people?  Do you let your family see you with your face sunken in?  The postman?  Anyone?  Nobody?  I'm not comfortable at all, partly because my mouth is full of stitches etc.  I haven't even looked at it with them out. (Dentist suggested that I not look and I said no problem!)   I'm taking the bottoms out to sleep because most of the rubbing spots seem to be around the bottom ones and I need some relief.

Does the self consciousness get better?

Responses

7 Messages

• 

204 Points

3 years ago

I'm on Day 3 and I swore no one would see me without my dentures... However my hubby had to take me to my dental appointment yesterday so he got to see everything, much to my dismay. He has been so sweet, telling me he can't tell when they are out. He's lying...I look like me Grandmother.

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

3 years ago

O my goodness!! That's great!! No1 has seen me without mine but my mom had asked me what I looked like without and my response was like Granny. Lol.

39 Messages

• 

992 Points

I cheat a little. I give my uppers or lowers a rest some evenings, and I wear one of those sports bite protectors. I fit it to my mouth without dentures. You put it in boiling water then into your mouth, to fit it. From there on, it fills up the space your dentures take, so your mouth doesn’t collapse when you don’t have the dentures it. If you are lucky, you can get them on sale at Walmart for a dorrar or so.

37 Messages

• 

650 Points

2 years ago

Only my mom has seen me two months out. I don't think I will ever show my husband. I'm pretty sure he would leave me...

10 Messages

• 

270 Points

2 years ago

I don't care who see's me without teeth.  Hey it's part of life, it happens.  I had all my teeth pulled 4 months and still don't wear my dentures on a regular basis.  So I go toothless almost all the time, even at work.  Nobody really cares, most people understand the pain involved in multiply tooth extractions.  At 60 years old I don't care what people say or think.

235 Messages

• 

5.2K Points

I'm 62 and I definitely think that makes it easier to say I don't care than for a younger person.

112 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

I am not at all comfortable being seen without my teeth.  Thank goodness, I get my dentures next Tuesday, two months after I had my extractions. I've been wearing lightweight surgical masks in company, even in front of my husband although it has slipped down now and again and he has seen me in all my glory. He isn't bothered about it, fortunately.  

Hank, I envy you not being concerned about being seen toothless.  Being a woman, vanity is making me long for my new teeth!

455 Messages

• 

8.7K Points

I am a 72 year old women.  I am married and I never wear my bottoms and partial on top.  It has changed my desire to go out to eat because my dentures are awful and I use SECURE.  I need a lot for them to stay in place.  GRRRRRR

112 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

Where do you live, Joan?  If you are in the UK the most you would pay for dentures, even a full set, would be £256, and that would include any treatment you may need. If you are a pensioner on a low income you would qualfy for help with the costs.  It's sad to think that your life has had to change due to badly-fitting dentures.

36 Messages

• 

824 Points

Agree 100%

112 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

2 years ago

I am not at all comfortable being seen without my teeth.  Thank goodness, I get my dentures next Tuesday, two months after I had my extractions. I've been wearing lightweight surgical masks in company, even in front of my husband although it has slipped down now and again and he has seen me in all my glory. He isn't bothered about it, fortunately.  

Hank, I envy you not being concerned about being seen toothless.  Being a woman, vanity is making me long for my new teeth!

36 Messages

• 

824 Points

2 years ago

I was toothless for almost 2 years due to financial problems and not being able to pay them off!!!! At first I was very self-consious~~overcame that eventually but always felt like an old hag. But whata ya gonna do????