Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

92 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

Thu, Jan 16, 2014 2:48 AM

When can I expect to interact after getting new dentures

Well, tomorrow is the big day. I've already had all my back teeth extracted. Now the remaining front come out under sedation and temp dentures put in. I go back the following day and he will remove for the first time. I am supposed to leave them in until he takes them out. I am also getting 6 mini implants which won't come into play until next august.

I am nervous but also so tired of the toothaches for the last couple of years.

My big question is I deal with lots of people, when will I be able meet and communicate. I hear all these folks talking about not talking well, dentures loose etc and that's a little scary

Responses

123 Messages

• 

2K Points

7 years ago

By now you may have already had the rest of your teeth extracted, and I hope you're doing well!  Be sure to follow the instructions your dentist gave not to remove your immediate (temporary) dentures until you return the next day.  Immediate dentures act as a bandage and help control swelling, so it's normal to wear them continuously, even while sleeping, for the first 24-48 hours.  When you return, your dentist will show you how to remove your dentures and how to put them back in.  

Your dentures may feel awkard in your mouth at first.  It's not uncommon to have to practice speaking with new teeth.  Practice reading aloud, reading in front of the mirror, and even practice counting.  Counting from 60-79 can help you pronounce your S's.

Keep in touch to let us know how you're doing!

92 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

Thanks Karen for the tip on the 60-79, still trying to get is pronounced correctly, not doing real well with speech.

12 Messages

• 

370 Points

Same here, I tried some tonight, and my S's are so dang hard. Its like im whistling. What are other ways we can try to work on that, with the S's that is?

131 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

Hi Crystal, have you tried saying tongue twisters aloud (like the old "Sally sold seashells by the sea shore.") - that may help a bit! Here are a few other tips and tricks to help you practice: http://community.dentureliving.com/dentureliving/topics/practice_speaking_with_dentures

92 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

7 years ago

Well, out with the old and in with the new, Took eight hours total, ended up with 10 mini implants 6 top 4 bottom the dentist advises this will greatly enhance my biting power. I am bleeding alot but my smile is so much nicer than the mess I had in the front, Had to fast starting yesterday because of sedation so am a little hungry, wife going for jello and pudding. I had 17 remaining teeth removed.

I will live without the mini implant "Stud" that snaps into the dentures until August to allow time for the implant and jaw bone to bond. My dentist feels it is worth the wait. Total time for dentures completion in my case will be one year for

I plan to keep my progress recorded here.

Even those that didn't know I would read your posts, the information and common sense I found here has been a true blessing to me, Thank you so much.

Bill

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Glad to hear you did well and plan to record your progress. Saw you on Topix too, lol, no I'm not a stalker. Just very interested since I want the same procedure. I like this site better. I believe at first you were thinking it was 2 on the bottom, I'm sure 4 will work out a lot better. I thought the mini was all one piece, that you didn't have to wait months for the abutment and got your snap-ons the same day. I'm pretty sure it's done that way sometimes.

92 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

Stalker, that's funny. I was looking around for a site with information, not rants about getting implants. This site is the most friendly and informative.

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

I agree

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

7 years ago

Bill, I am going to be going down the same road you are traveling, and have to say, the thought of getting all my uppers pulled scares me. The bottom teeth are gonna have to wait awhile....I have had two upper molars pulled over the years, and one front tooth....(have bridge in front). The rest of my upper molars were crowns w/ root canals that have broken off! I don't know how they are gonna extract those! I have no idea what those mini implants are gonna cost. Cross your fingers for me. I am 62 and will retire mid-February, hope to begin the upper denture process by early March. I will follow your posts, thank you.

92 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

Mary, I understand your fears, none of this sounded to good to me. I still remember when the dentist advised there was little else that could be done and he recommended dentures. Reinforcement for how I felt about going to the dentist. I must say now that if you have a good dentist, the process is one of time more than pain. I reached a point where I just wanted to get it done.

18 Messages

• 

278 Points

7 years ago

Bill,Just got my temp. dentures yesterday! going to get implants on bottom starting in March have to wait they said for mouth to completely heal. Can't wait for all of this to be over and behind me!! Good luck with your journey!!

92 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

It really feels good to finally be getting somewhere, I was getting impatient but now its going as planned.

17 Messages

• 

372 Points

Now that the month is over, how are the implants on the bottom working. Please let me know.

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Hi Kathy, how are the implants working out?

18 Messages

• 

278 Points

Jayelle, Haven't gotten them yet? Will get them on May 5th. Can't wait,have to take bottom dentures out to eat otherwise cannot eat.:( Also after in for a few hrs. they pop right out!! Top ones are totally great!! Can't wait for bottoms to be the same! will keep you updated,another appt. for an adjustment on Thurs.!

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

I'm on hold at the moment myself. I was told I'll get the implants at the same time as the extractions.

92 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

7 years ago

I am sitting here reading the comments and drinking my first cup of coffee. I had given up on the hot/cold because of my teeth, always painful, I had to microwave ice cream. I had the best night sleep I've had in a long time. When I rolled over during the night I was so aware there was NO pain.

I go back today for followup and some adjusting, The tops feel "Big" just like everyone had stated. I had cream of chicken soup for supper last night and it was great. Going to have Yogurt and a fruit cup for breakfast. I have none of the gagging I read about.

I know the process has lots more time to go but I am one very happy and blessed guy this morning, one day out.

92 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

7 years ago

The implants I am getting are two piece. The base is what is now in my jaw bone and the adapter or part that protrudes is what I get next August.

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

7 years ago

Wow, you had soup the first day, that's amazing!

92 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

I drink it out of a cup, pretty easy.

92 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

7 years ago

Day Two, woke up with a little gum soreness, popped some ibuprofen and all is good. I did have an appointment with the dentist yesterday and he looked quick and decided to just leave them in until next Thursday. That is in conflict with what I have been reading. My gums were sore today since he believes the 24-48 hour after extraction is the max swelling time, thus his reason for leaving the dentures in. The top one is loose but I must say this part of the process has been so easy. I still vividly remember those middle night toothaches, never again. I am feeling pretty darn blessed today. Food yesterday was fruit cup and yogurt breakfast, cream of tomato soup lunch and a bowl of ice cream for supper. Starting off today with applesauce and yogurt.

18 Messages

• 

278 Points

7 years ago

This is day3 for me and I have to say I am still not able to eat anything other soup,mash potatoes and applesauce and yogurt! Have a lot of sore areas especially with bottom.Not supposed to see dentist till Thurs.,not waiting going on Monday!!Absolutely dread taking them out because I know how painful to put back in :(

92 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

7 years ago

Kathy, we are sure on the same schedule Day 3. I also am not supposed to go back until Thursday. My upper is getting loose. I could probably pop it out but he did say to leave them in until Thursday. We also are living on the same diet. I have not tried mashed potatoes yet, maybe today. I have a high spot top right rear that touches first when I close my mouth. It is the only area that is sore. My uppers still feel big and interfere with my speech. From what I have read the normal diet you are looking for won't happen for a while so we need to stay patient and don't forget the major trauma our mouths went through, and no more toothaches and a great new smile. Another plus that only new denture wearers can appreciate is the development of tongue strength strong enough to crush a walnut.