jason_hoffmann's profile

1 Message

• 

70 Points

Tue, Mar 19, 2019 7:55 PM

what am I doing wrong? Can't eat. 6 days from teeth extraction and dentures put in same day

I'm 30 6 days out from 26 teeth removed and dentures put in that day I haven't eaten anything with the detures in. I've tried small bites with them in and soo much pain on the bottom. Plus they keep popping up and won't stay down what am I doing wrong?

292 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

Il y a 3 y

Hey Jason, don't rush trying to eat anything that requires chewing, the first month I lived in yogurt, oatmeal and whatever else was swallowable. I'm now at two months and having more success with chewing, mind you I cannot eat steak ...

292 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

Il y a 3 y

Let me clarify that I only had my upper extracted, and chewing does still hurt at times, keep going back to your dentist to have them adjusted &/or relined. Once you can start to chew without excruciating pain the biggest trick it to cut everything into tiny pieces.

33 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

Il y a 3 y

Hello, Jason. What you are experiencing is pretty normal. It has been only six days for you, a true neophyte and welcome to our pain free club. Right now for you I suggest ice cream, KFC mashed potatoes and gravy (which are literally heaven at this point in your life), and yogurt, and whatever soft foods you think you like. I had a full extraction eight months ago with immediate dentures. At your six day point I literally thought I would never eat anything normal again. It will take time and practice and healing and soon you will eat again. JUST TODAY I had a rare steak and asparagus and chips for dinner. You too will be able to eat pretty much everything in a few weeks and months, once it is all healed and you will forget you have false teeth. PATIENCE, I tell everyone that, PATIENCE, and relearn how to eat again!!! Good luck, and keep us posted, we travel this journey with you!! Just think, false teeth are much better than daily intense pain.........

292 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

Il y a 3 y

Dr chat you are awesome....keep your posting coming, you, my dear are an inspiration to us all... thanks ☺️

33 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

Thank you, Lisa, you are equally awesome too. After I went through my trauma of full extraction eight months ago, I found this site a few days later and realized we are a special large family and we are not alone. Each of us has individual issues, much as in anything else, but we stand together to solve the issues. It is our duty to help our fellow beings through the pain we endured and overcame so they know it is not unusual and they are not alone. I have a theory that dentists are psychologically really no help at all (clinically yes), unless they have false teeth themselves, since they do not have that deep personal experience. To them it is academic, to us it is REAL. Think of it as unless you have lost a parent or a child you do not really know what it feels like!!! Same with losing all your teeth and trying to do something which is a basic daily human need to literally survive: EATING AND DRINKING!!

292 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

Amen to that

48 Messages

• 

902 Points

Il y a 3 y

I agree with the other responders. 6 days out is very early on. I know it's frustrating and I don't know what your situation is but it took me many adjustments to be comfortable. I would often eat without the immediates in because it made it more difficult. Your gums take time to settle and shrink. Your mouth will change. Just continue to be verbal with your dentist on what's hurting you and they should make adjustments for you until you are comfortable. Soft foods are your best friend.

18 Messages

• 

290 Points

Il y a 3 y

Yes Jason, I agree that soft food are you best friend . I had 16 extractions out 4 weeks ago, got my dentures right a way, full top and partial bottoms. The bottoms are no problem at all, the top is ok for the most part but I have developed a sore from the denture which is very painful when I have the dentures in, but I am using ambasol on the sore spot which helps a bit.  But for the most part I am eating soft food all the time, I was told by my dentist not to rush it it takes time to heal. I also am drinking the Boost drink so I can get the proper nutrition, along with special veggie and fruit drinks. Along with lots of soup, and if I have toast I usually dunk in into my tea.....good luck keep me informed on your progress.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Il y a 7 m

I am so happy to have found this board!  I am also on day 6 and really dieing for a crispy chicken sandwich!  Its good to know this is normal!