teeaye's profile

9 Messages

• 

282 Points

Sun, Nov 17, 2019 10:04 AM

Very Self Conscious

I am a 27 year old (gay) guy and I know that where I live Looks is all it’s about. My oral surgery was back in 2016 and I have a full set of dentures but I have YET to wear them fully. I put them in once in a while to keep the fit, but I am so self conscious about how I sound when I talk with them in. I know this might be silly but when I have them in I am completely weirded out by not being able to feel the top of my mouth. Those are a couple of the few problems I’m currently having. Does anyone have words of encouragement and wisdom for me? I hate being only 25 and having to get dentures. I think that is what mentally messed me up. any kind input would help. Thank you for your time to reading this. 

40 Messages

• 

724 Points

Il y a 3 y

You need to keep wearing them to get used to the feeling and talking with them in. By keeping on taking them out you are not giving yourself the chance to adjust. I can tell you that once you keep them in, you will adjust really quickly and talking will no longer be an issue. 

9 Messages

• 

282 Points

Thank you, that seems to be the common consensus :) 

292 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

Then it shall be great advice

15 Messages

• 

396 Points

Il y a 3 y

It is said that practice makes perfect.....Well, not always.  You do need to commit to trying to adapt to your dentures.  Not a half commitment, but with true conviction.  

As for the speech issue, it too is a learning process, I'm still working on it after 9 months now.  Some days are better than others.  Seems the best days are the days that I don't think about it and just talk.  What I have learned is that lazy lips cause lisps. 

Now let me go back to my comment of "you need to commit to trying to adapt to your dentures".  Notice that I did not follow up with a comment of "your dentures will not adapt to you".  Truth is that they can.  In recent years denture wearers have found a solution that helps some people who just can't get over the gag reflex of the upper plate on the roof of the mouth...no matter how hard they work at doing so.  Solution has been the Horseshoe upper denture which is exactly as it sounds.  It involves the removal of some of the upper pallet of the denture and allowing for a more natural feel.  The word natural is a stretch in honesty.  But it works for some people.  Find a denture professional that will listen to you and is open to the alterations of working towards finding a non gag fit in the horseshoe configuration.  I am not, I repeat not suggesting that  you grab a Dremel Tool and go to work removing the center of your upper pallet, there is a very fine line of removal before you cross that loss of suction ability which will require an adhesive to the upper to be applied everyday.

There is also a newer designed thin denture that could be a solution, sometimes it is the thickness of the denture that results in gagging.  A thick upper pallet of a denture does not allow for any feeling when the tongue touches it which can be a reminder that things in your mouth are no longer a natural feel.

Do I wish that I had perfect teeth from birth, you bet I do.  But, that simply wasn't the case so dentures it is.  On the other hand my health has not been this good since I was young and had healthy teeth.

Up date us with a progress report, your not alone as long as your here.

9 Messages

• 

282 Points

I am not sure my insurance will cover the new design with out the roof, but it's worth a shot to inquire about it I guess. and I will work on it. Thank you for your kind words, and I will most definitely keep you all updated. 

30 Messages

• 

698 Points

Il y a 3 y

You need to to leave your dentures in. I believe WE ALL was very self conscious when we first got our dentures. Trust me, I know! My thing was I thought EVERYONE would stare at my dentures so I MADE myself learn how to speak immediately. As soon as I left that dentist office I put my car radio on and sang my heart out (I can't sing at all but that's not the point lol), I came home and read to my babies out loud. We then sang the ABC's. I called my family and talked stories with them. Took a bath and sang OUT LOUD again. That night I got my favorite book and read out loud. I was trying to train my tongue to do everything "right". Truth is, either my process worked or I was just fortunate that I got my speech back almost immediately. I'd like to think that my process is what really helped me. I know we are our worst critic. I bet you look great with your dentures. You just have to work with this denture process. Put your dentures back on and try some of my practices or video chat a loved one and let them know what you're dealing with. I promise you, if you continue practicing and start trusting this journey - stop being so hard on yourself - then you'll start loving your dentures. Just so you know, I HATED my dentures when I first got them. I thought it was like a neon sign saying -"LOOK AT ME, I HAVE DENTURES!" But as time went on I've realized through pictures and home videos (and self love) that my dentures is beautiful but my dentures don't make me. It's just part of life now. I, as well as many others have had dentures at a young age. To be honest, their a ton of friends and family who'd love to pull out their teeth and get dentures

9 Messages

• 

282 Points

I need to do that! Just anything and everything, singing and talking, I will try this idea. Thank you! :D  I will keep you updated. 

4 Messages

• 

120 Points

Il y a 3 y

Practice, practice, PRACTICE!! Wear them, sing your lungs out. The more you talk & sing, the better your mouth will learn to speak. I’m only 27. I have full dentures. But it’s been the best thing for me. Being able to smile? It’s amazing. If you’re really worried about people knowing your secret.... look around. Almost everyone has some type of cosmetic falseness. From their hair all the way down to their booty’s. Dentures aren’t as noticeable as boob & butt implants. Don’t EVER hide!

9 Messages

• 

282 Points

I was always down on myself because of my age and having dentures, but the more I learn that people my age (27) having them it gives me more confidence. Thank you! :) 

292 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

Il y a 3 y

Hi, I just want to say that we never really understand our vanity until we deal with a mouth full of dentures. I get what your saying and can empathize, but... definitely wear them as often as possible, it will help!! Stay positive and don't let the physical aspect of them get in the way of learning to speak, eat and smile. I'm almost certain they are better looking than you think. Lastly don't let your age bother you in any of this. You are "YOU" you are NOT your dentures....learn to love yourself, because you may never love your dentures..lol

9 Messages

• 

282 Points

I'm working on loving myself, well learning on how to anyway. I just need to learn and keep telling myself that even though my dentures feel weird in my mouth (till I get used to them) I can't let them define me. People love me for my personality all around, so how can a set of dentures change that? I just gotta keep saying "it doesn't" :) I will keep you all updated on my journey :) 

9 Messages

• 

282 Points

Il y a 3 y

Here is me with them in :)

9 Messages

• 

282 Points

Idk WHAT'S going on with my chin haha but it don't look like that!!!! haha 

292 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

Aside from the chin...lol....they look great!! Keep smiling, it looks good.

30 Messages

• 

698 Points

Omg! You look great! You're insecure for nothing (but I understand - a lot of us went through the insecurities) Honestly, if you didn't tell me you have dentures I would never had known. It looks very natural - I promise. Now practice on talking, singing, rapping lol out loud and there you go! You really have nothing to worry about. Also, I'd like to think even at your young age you went ahead to better your health. So instead of looking at getting dentures at "such a young age", be proud of yourself that you did so. SMILE, you're a very handsome young man

292 Messages

• 

7.2K Points

100% agree!!!!

40 Messages

• 

724 Points

Looking good!!

4 Messages

• 

90 Points

Il y a 8 m

The motive of providing accounts of all ranges on our platform is to give customers what they demand and what they deserve.
csgo smurf
cheap valorant accounts
buy csgo prime accounts
buy high tier csgo accounts