kristen's profile

16 Messages

• 

282 Points

Sat, Apr 14, 2018 2:55 AM

Terrified about getting dentures

I am 47 years old and scheduled to get full upper and lower dentures on Monday. I’m absolutely terrified. As a child I had big buck teeth and was made fun of a lot. I could not close my lips together so my teeth started to rot. In my early 20s I had jaw surgery to correct the overgrowth and had 9mm of bone taken out. After surgery I would need 17 crowns. I had dental appts twice a week for temporary fillings and then permanent fillings. In the meantime I had a beautiful daughter who also had the same genetic issue with her jaws. She would wear corrective orthodontic appliances of some sort for about 10 years. Needless to say I couldn’t afford to get my teeth fixed so many years later I am down to 11 teeth and can only eat soft foods because I have no upper back teeth. As a single mom I couldn’t afford to even get dentures but thank God for the wonderful man in my life. He is doing this for me. I will get temporary dentures and then in a few months I will get implants. I’m so scared of doing this. What if they look weird or they don’t fit right? What if everyone can tell? I’m a nurse so the last thing I need is to be around my patients with no teeth. I’m just totally petrified. Any encouragement would be appreciated.

30 Messages

• 

508 Points

Il y a 4 y

Oh bless you!! Things will turn out just fine. I understand why you are concerned. However I just feel things will be okay. Just focus on the fact that you are finally able to get this done. Look too the positive not the negative. With modern technology they can do so much now. You have a good man supporting you and a daughter that loves you. Show your daughter how strong her Mom is.

25 Messages

• 

548 Points

Il y a 4 y

Yes, just think positive it may not be easy but it will be worth it in the long run and it sounds like you deserve it 

14 Messages

• 

382 Points

Il y a 4 y

oh dear! I think you have already been through the worst of it, it sounds like you have had a long dental journey. I too work in the medical field and I was afraid of all my patients knowing something was different, or that I was not talking right. But all in all I am very pleased thus far. I am 10 days out from having 24 teeth removed and my temps are beautiful! and I had pizza for dinner!

1 Message

• 

60 Points

@melissa_lurtz how is it when you ahve to remove them at night to go to bed? I am getting this done in a week and I’m scared of when I ahve to remove them to go to bed and just having gums. It’s creepy to me and I’m terrified 

16 Messages

• 

282 Points

Il y a 4 y

Thank you for all the positive feedback. I can’t wait to eat a burger. I wear a flipper as well. I’ll be so glad to never have to wear it again. It’s been broken for 2 years and I have to use polygrip at least 4 times a day. Can’t wait to throw it away. I also found out that this office only gives Valium and no gas. Totally freaked out about that! I hope they give strong pain meds for afterwards. What do they typically give you for pain?

5 Messages

• 

166 Points

Il y a 4 y

Hi Kristen - I'm right there with you, scheduled to have the same on Monday myself! I am terrified too, but also kind of relieved. It's been so long since I've been able to chew properly (basically with just part of my front teeth on the right side) that I can't help but wonder if it will be better after I get the dentures. Surely it can't be any worse! I've been terrified of the dentist all of my life, so it's kind of ironic that I have to tolerate going now in order to be able to live a normal life. We'll both have beautiful smiles Monday evening!

16 Messages

• 

282 Points

Well we are right there together. Let’s try to post on Monday night so we can keep up with each other’s progress. I’m excited but mostly petrified. Lol

54 Messages

• 

1K Points

Good luck Kristen! Please let us all know how it turns out Monday! Praying for you both!

16 Messages

• 

282 Points

Good luck tomorrow! I don’t know how I’m gonna get through today because my nerves are tore up. I don’t know whether to throw up or have a panic attack but I know it’s for the best. Let me know how it goes with you!

5 Messages

• 

166 Points

Best of luck to you too! Boy do I ever know that feeling of panic and/or wanting to barf. I keep telling myself tomorrow will be the worst part and then it will be over.  I have all my ice packs ready in the freezer and stocked up on all kinds of soft squishy foods. Blech.    We can do this!!!  :-)

16 Messages

• 

282 Points

Yes we can! I think I can. Omg. I feel like I’m gonna throw up. Good luck!

54 Messages

• 

1K Points

Il y a 4 y

Best of luck @lizabeth! I had 29 extractions done on Monday the 9th and am doing fairly well with my denture living. I have had one adjustment done and plan on going back Monday for another on top denture. You will love the beautiful smile for sure. Don't get discouraged the first few days from the surgery and change it is all worth it in the end

5 Messages

• 

166 Points

Thanks Elisha. Fortunately, I had all the molars removed several months ago and those have healed up well, with the exception of a couple of bone splinters that had to work their way out on the bottom. Anyway, I think you are very brave to have had all 29 done at once, I'm not sure I could have handled that! I'm sure glad I found this place!

16 Messages

• 

282 Points

Thank you! I’m glad to know you’re doing so well so soon afterwards. Did you have a lot of pain?

16 Messages

• 

282 Points

Did you have a lot of pain afterwards?

54 Messages

• 

1K Points

Il y a 4 y

That's awesome then! You are over the toughest part! The dentures themselves are an adjustment but you will get there. I am not there yet but I am optimistic by nature and know from others in my life who have them it's just a matter of time and it is the new normal. I am looking forward to that moment of having my comfortable beautiful smile again

16 Messages

• 

282 Points

Did you have a lot of pain?

54 Messages

• 

1K Points

Well I was petrified on the drive in last Monday for my extractions surgery. I didn't speak a word hardly and I am a smoker so the smoke was rolling out the window thinking this could be the last. Lol! BUT I was very fortunate to have a wonderful surgeon and mouth structure I suppose (what the assistant told me) bc the blood and swelling was my biggest threat after surgery. I thought it would never end! I swallowed so much blood I tasted iron for days. Ironically, I have more pain from my cancker sore from my lower Denture now than from the extractions themselves. I did ice packs every 30 mins on the dot and took the ibuprofen and Tylenol for pain and swelling. I had to buy extra gauze and thankful bc you will need it! At Day 3 the blood subsided quite a bit and uphill from there. Best of luck and many prayers for you Kristen! Stay positive!

16 Messages

• 

282 Points

So they only gave you ibuprofen and Tylenol? That doesn’t even work for my headaches. Lol. Thank you for the well wishes!

54 Messages

• 

1K Points

Lol yes I have been told I am crazy for not taking anything but sometimes I think with me anyways, the pain medicine with narcotics make it worse. Idk!? But for sure my sister in law and mother in law had hydrocodone 5mg for the first 2 or 3 days but for me I opt to not take it. I didn't take the medicine after my last daughter was born after my c section. It's just a personal decision. Do not keep yourself in pain though for sure if you are use to taking stronger let them know please. Good luck sweet lady!

16 Messages

• 

282 Points

You are one tough cookie! Thank you so much! I’m so glad to have found this site. I’m still terrified but talking to others that have been through it really helps.

16 Messages

• 

282 Points

Il y a 4 y

I took a week off of work. Is that long enough?

54 Messages

• 

1K Points

Il y a 4 y

I took a week off work for healing properly and adjustments needed for speaking and eating. But I talk alot on a headset at my work and walk 7 miles daily so I didn't want to risk anything. My surgeon only gave me 2 days off, day of surgery and next day post op appointment.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

Igot to get mine out in few weeks I was told little cutting top gims I have 9 top all broken off and 10 bottom all broken but 3 she said be easy to get out I am so scared

54 Messages

• 

742 Points

Il y a 2 y

For people who need dentures, approaching the situation this way can give them the feeling of what it’s like to have teeth again. Implants can mimic the roots of real teeth and they can stabilize a loose or slipping denture. Implants also have the ability to give your existing denture an anchor so they are rock solid in your mouth.

This is the equivalent of thinking you’ll only ever be able to ride around on a bike and finding out, you’ll actually be getting around in a comfortable, air-conditioned car. You get it, don’t you? It’s a big difference.
If anybody need Teeth Devices at home Just Visit here.
http://teethaligndirect.com/