Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

1 Message

• 

70 Points

Fri, Mar 16, 2018 11:57 AM

Still so much pain....is this normal

Hello...i had all my top teeth extracted on monday and its now fridsy. Is it normal to still be in alot of pain. I am a chronic pain sufferer anyway and have a high pain tolerance but omg...I have my own shop and is my first day back since having them out. Is it normal to still be feeling so much pain...I'm sure it is but just checking. Its not as painful when they are out but I'm too scared to leave them out in case I can't get them back in. Can someone please let me know if this pain is normal and how long can I leave them out for. I popped into the denture place today and the receptionist was suprised no follow up appointment was made. Have one at the end of bext week. Im sure I'm just being melodramatic but ooouuch

Responses

1 Message

• 

60 Points

3 years ago

Hello, I had sixteen teeth pulled out Tuesday morning and I am still in quite a bit of pain, and my mouth is still very swollen, I have been using heat packs regularly and it helps a lot, my denturist told me not to leave them out for more than five minutes at a time until after about two weeks, can I ask if you have a hard time getting your dentures out ? When I try I’m in so much pain I haven’t been able to take them out at all, and I’m worried about getting an infection

27 Messages

• 

512 Points

Do you swish salt water around before you try to take them out and I usually press upward and outward on my front teeth to dislodge the back first this helps me anyway.

160 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

3 years ago

Well mine was last Friday and haven’t had pain really at all and had 11 extracted upper .. I actually rinse warm salt water 5 times a day .. first day pain Meds after not at all.. me I took out for several hours during day and slept with them on.. but if still in lot of pain u need to be seen, that isn’t normal ... u could have developed dry socket , I hope u get relief soon but call dentist

30 Messages

• 

508 Points

3 years ago

You aren't overacting. Pain is pain. You didn't say if they gave you the large bottle of mouth rinse. If so use that about four or five time's daily. You should be sleeping without the tempts at night. Your mouth could get infection from germs. My surgeon didn't think it was a good ideal to have tempts. I made myself wait three months before I got my dentures. It doesn't matter what people think. Youre doing this for yourself. And when you get your dentures people will even forget that you didn't have them all along. And you can get some blue alcohol put it on cotton balls and pat around your face and mouth area. That will draw out the pain. But if you aren't better by Monday then see a Doctor.

12 Messages

• 

282 Points

3 years ago

I had 16 teeth pulled 12 days ago and immediate dentures put in.  In 2 days I go in for my first soft liner.  Out of 16 teeth they all pulled easily except 2 on the same side of my lower jaw.  At the 12 day mark I still have a little swelling where those 2 problem teeth were.  That said for the most part I have not had much pain except for pressure on the swelling.  I should clarify I have a high pain tolerance after dealing with some very bad tooth infections over the years.  Today after using adhesive strips to put my lower denture in I finally tried to eat biscuits and gravy.  Well that didn't go as well as I'd hoped the dentures aren't fitting tight enough now to make that work and just the act of eating was causing my lower denture to come loose already so I stopped eating.  But I can safely say for me the pain was low enough that trying to chew soft foods was not an issue at 12 days.  At 8 days I couldn't do it. 

21 Messages

• 

426 Points

2 years ago

Its quite normal to be in pain after this short amount of time. If you are having sharp pains then you need to see your dentist immediately. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9fGqpF3bN_h8Jy5rb6hNuw