Skip to main content
Denture Living Community
donna_8eac2b's profile

18 Messages

• 

392 Points

Fri, Jan 22, 2021 12:13 PM

Question for Josie

In 2019; I had teeth extracted and with immediate denture,  I now have my regular upper denture.  Since it has suction and fits good I did not get implants on upper. This January 20, 2021; I had lower teeth extracted with 4 implants placed.  I was awake for procedures both times.  My question is about the swollen area on my jaw. How long does swelling and a little bruising go away.? Another question is about thrush on the tongue.  No pain there but whitish thickness. I called
t he dentist and was told that he would check it when I go to get stitches out which is on February 10: 2021.  I am presently on antibiotics for prevention of infection and he gave me dexamethasone 4 mg 3 tablets for swelling.  Is there an over the counter swish for thrush? Thank you for assistance and thoughts. Regards, Donna

Responses

1.6K Messages

• 

26.1K Points

a month ago

Hey Donna,

After implant surgery the swelling should be minimal. Way different then extractions. If there is any swelling/bruising maybe about a week. You are the 1st person that asked me about Thrush. We are not a Dental Office; we are a Denture Clinic and I don't recall anyone that comes here asking me that question. I am a believer of natural home remedies and meds of course when needed. I've done quite a bit of research here for the last hr and I can't find any over the counter products available. Salt water rinses work wonders. Here is a link to some other natural home remedies if you prefer that method.

https://draxe.com/health/oral-thrush/

Congratulations on getting implants on the lower. Once it is all done you're going to love having them on your lower. Glad to hear as well that you have great suction on your upper. Good luck. Keep me posted. :)

18 Messages

• 

392 Points

Josie, Thank you for the information on thrush.  Very informative. I answered your question on the next post.  Thank you so much. Donna

1.6K Messages

• 

26.1K Points

a month ago

Hey Donna I just saw your other post. Did you get the lowers extracted and implants placed in the same appt?

18 Messages

• 

392 Points

Hi Josie,  Thanks so much for responding to my questions.  Yes,I did get the lower extracted and implants placed in the same appointment.  I had ten extractions and the periodontist actually put 2 additional implants which made 6 implants just in case one area being a little spongy does not fuse.  Under one of the crowns my tooth was so bad it fractured.  I was under local anesthesia so I could hear everything including the cracking noises and jaw noises.  Not much pain during the surgery.  I had to get an additional shot on one tooth because it was complex.  I just had to take Tylenol extra strength and alternated with Advil for 2 days.  Was on dexamethasone which helped the swelling a bit.  Antibiotics for 7 days. I will check out the information you sent for thrush.  I am using warm water with teaspoon of salt today and hopefully will help.  The periodontist wants me to leave the immediate denture out until the area heals a little 6-10 days.  I do wear the upper though to help me eat soft food.  Made a smoothie with bananas and blueberries and drink boost to supplement a meal.  Tried soft scrambled egg and mushed into little pieces and sweet potatoes mushed as well.   

1.6K Messages

• 

26.1K Points

Ok ok. Then yes swelling is common and keep up with the salt water rinses. I would say even up to 6x a day. We recommend to have the denture in so you can start getting used to it but if a Dentist or Oral Surgeon recommends not to for specific reasons then we say follow their instructions. Hard to say with your case as we can't see you in person. You are brave having gone through this so I suggest try in the lower and see how it feels. It will help you eat faster then waiting up to 10 days. If it hurts then remove it. Wishing you a speedy recovery. :)

18 Messages

• 

392 Points

Thank you so much Josie.