Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Thu, Jun 27, 2013 9:05 PM

Problems with bottom dentures

Hi, time to vent so i apologize in advance. My bottom dentures just won't stay on, they come loose just by drinking water, my dentist said "that happends with bottom dentures". I use Fixodent food seal and no matter what i eat they come loose immediatley and gobs of food gets under them, has anyone else experienced this problem and if so what did you do about it. My next appointment is on Thursday, any advice on what I should tell my dentist? This is very upsetting, the thought of eating gets me upset I already lost 10 pounds and I'm one that dosen't need to lose weight.
(from Carmela)

Responses

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I'm Karen, the Fixodent Community Manager. You don't need to apologize. I know this is frustrating, and insight from others is so helpful. Feel free to post anytime you need advice or when you just need to vent.
I'm sorry your lower denture becomes loose so quickly. Fixodent is designed to hold for 12 hours. However, hot liquids such as soup, coffee and tea can loosen denture adhesive, as can the flow of saliva, which is often increased when dentures are first placed. Ibelieve it was the beginning of the month when you had your extractions done, soI expect your gums are still healing. As they heal, swelling goes down, which can cause loose dentures. A lower denture is naturally more difficult to hold in place than an upper denture, but please don't lose heart - it will get better. As your gumsheal, your dentist will continue to make adjustments to your dentures for improved fit, andtime will allow the muscles of your mouth to learn to hold your lower denture in place.
I'd like to follow-up with you via postal mail. Would you mind sending me an email with your name& address? Please send it to smhc.im@pg.com and include your username in your message. Thanks!
^Karen
(from Karen @ Fixodent)

3 Messages

• 

142 Points

How nice of you to take the time to listen and respond I to am a "new" denture wearer and the bottom is the worse for me it's so embarrassed I xx do use fix dent works great with top unfortunately I have the same nightmare as above ! ; (

2 Messages

• 

110 Points

The problem with the lower denture is that the lower jaw bone disappears four times faster than the upper. As that bone is reabsorbed by your body the lower denture had less and less top hold on to the best solution is to have a couple of implants installed to retain that bone. I know for most implants seem impossible. The high cost of implants usually includes the crown (fake tooth) on top. Some dentists (like mine) gave me a deal on price. My dentist put in a few implant posts to keep the bone from disappearing. You can then take it a step further and have your denture attached to the implants. That way it won't move. I know it's overwhelming but you want to live your life and be able to eat, talk etc without worry. If you get a dental discount card, it can also take a lot off of the cost of the procedure. Implant surgery was no big deal. I did it with no vaccine and only took ibuprofen for one day. It's a one time thing that will change how you function. Go online and look up cheap implants in the state you live in. If that isn't an option for you, there is a thing that can be installed on your dentures that creates a vacuum type of suction and it can be installed on the dentures you already have. You can Google suction dentures and find a dentist near you who can install the valves. It creates a perfect seal keeping your teeth in place. I hope this information helps. Most people don't know about bone loss and find out after its too late.

1 Message

• 

100 Points

I have had up and lower dentures since June 14, 2014...My lower denture is coming loose as well when I chew....other than this they stay put during the day with a good fit.....and the excessive saliva doesn't help...I have to make sure the fixodent is applied good when I have to eat...at home that is fine but in public trying to eat gets a little hectic....I do hope with more adjustments it gets a better fit....

7 Messages

• 

182 Points

Hi I just got dentures and everyone says I got a nice new smile but how does that help u eat ? Not everyone can afford implants and they know everyone has prob holding bottoms inplace there should be a better glue or something so people not wasting mony on stuff that don't work. I am really smiling behind my fake smile

1 Message

• 

62 Points

Ray, I am really sorry for your situation.  I too am going through the same thing.  I am very limited as to what I can eat.  Seems like bottom dentures are set in real tight.  Next thing I know, after like two bites of food (even soft) they work loose.  Place where I got my dentures told me all the usual stuff like eat evenly on both sides, etc.  Needless to say, nothing works.  Luckily I am getting mini implants in March and hopefully can remedy this situation.  Otherwise, I really don't know what to tell you.  Hopefully, someone can give you some helpful information.  I know it's bad and have felt like crying many times. 

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

bottom plate floats. I did fine for 30 yrs. then lost 65lbs and can't get them to settle in been relined now looking into implants(two studs hold the bottom plate down)

(from frev)

3 Messages

• 

142 Points

What kind of costs are involved with 2 implants on bottom ?

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

I live in Plano, Tx, and cannot get the bottom denture to hold. the dentist said I could get two implants done using the denture I already have, and the total cost would be $4500. 

94 Messages

• 

4.1K Points

Rebecca,

The cost varies from State to State, county to county, and dentist to dentist. You would just have to shop around and get estimates/quotes.

Fyllis

200 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

What is that going to cost u for that mine is ten grand for four posts at the dental school I can't afford that.

40 Messages

• 

840 Points

Betty Moore Wing

The dentist can make adjustments to your existing bottom denture for the implants??  I have heard that 2 implants are not enough; that 4 is the way to go for the bottom.  Have you looked into it?  Best of luck anyway.

x

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

Hello Snuglt2,
I'm sorry for not repying sooner. I didn't see your message until today, but I understand how disheartening this must be. While lower dentures are naturally more difficult to hold in place than uppers, you shouldn't have to live with this much difficulty eating. You may want to schedule a follow-up visit with your dentist. It could be that an adjustment or a reline will provide a better fit.
Having said that, Fixodent has been thoroughly evaluated to ensure it's safe when used as directed. We wouldn't expect gagging or choking, so we'd like to gather more details about your experience. When you get a chance, please give us a call at 1-800-214-8871. Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 9:00am-6:00pm Eastern time. When calling, please let the representative know you spoke with Karen on DentureLiving.com.
Thanks for reaching out. Let me know if I can help further.
^Karen
(from Karen @ Fixodent)

52 Messages

• 

2K Points

Yeah I like Fixodent-it has been a big help on helping me to eat. Except white bread,lol. What sucks is now to eat or to look nice you need dentures so its either pay a boatload or get so poor to get welfare dentures. Dentists have us by the balls on this & it sucks. After ALL these yrs you'f think dentures would be easier to wear-but this way they can make more money by having them not fit right.

1 Message

• 

82 Points

my upper denture fits awesome, with just a dab of fixodent i sometimes have trouble getting them to pop out. . the lower, however is loose and i have to use way too much fixodent to get them to stay long enough for me to eat. . when they had the soft liner, they were much better. am i really gonna die if i use too much fixodent? and i have been thinking of getting that soft line stuff from the store cause i cant afford another dental visit atm . . still paying off the care credit from the original process. . any advice?

16 Messages

• 

302 Points

Yes try secure you have to buy on line.. im using it on my bottoms till implants heal. It work good

70 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

Is "Secure" easily removed from around your implants?  Did your dentist tell you how to clean those implants?  Mine did not, and I am worried that I won't keep them properly cleaned.

Wanda

2 Messages

• 

74 Points

Secure held mine for 6 hours... tough to get off gums and denture. Fixodent for gums works better with the powder afded

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I'm sorry Karen but I got my dentures last July and I HATE them. I also can't get my bottom's to stay in. I usually wait til I am on my way to work to apply my Fixodent as that way it's a 30 min ride with nothing to eat or drink. I can't eat anything that you have to chew. A hamburger, steak, out of the question. I can't even bite into a nectrine that is ripe. I have people that went to the "cheap" place and they came into work the same day that they got their teeth and ate corn curls of all things!! I spent good money and researched the dentist and wish I had my rotten old teeth back. Not a day goes by that I don't regret it. Also Fixodent makes me gag and choke and that is with putting the amount called for.
(from Snuglt2)

200 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Try sea bond it works for me.I also have a vety small jaw bone

200 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

It works on the top nut not the bottom.

1 Message

• 

140 Points

Sea Bond sucks, the othe adhesives work better

52 Messages

• 

2K Points

I too can't eat with my lower dentures I go to eat and they flip I'm about ready to keep being toothless that way 8 can talk and eat.

53 Messages

• 

952 Points

omg  that makes me  afraid  now  getting upper teeth out like 7 of them  hope I ike my denture  are big  bulky  probably  its just my luck they will be awful  my g f  got hers  and there fine     I don't    USA    they care  about the money  no sufficient  in  London  they are  excellent  dentist  and  care about  u

1 Message

• 

60 Points

7 years ago

I am having issues with lower dentures which I just got December 12. I know my gums are swelled and need to go down but could someone get me a time line of what to expect sorta and when please?

123 Messages

• 

2K Points

Hi Lisa, check out our calendar of your 1st 30 days with dentures here:  http://www.dentureliving.com/new-to-dentures/calendar.  Be sure to contact your dentist with any concerns.  Hang in there, it will get better!

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

How long do you have to wait before useing fiodent on lowers

53 Messages

• 

952 Points

im getting  a particle  denture on bottom  hope I don't have this proplem then I wont be able to wear  it  the top denture  I got make  it work  pray that it does 

1 Message

• 

120 Points

I am a new upper denture wearer.  I have tried all the pastes and denture adhesives available.  First, I wish they didn't discontinue Poligrip powder.  Second, in this day and age, I can't believe they haven't figured out how to make dentures that are softer, more pliable and form to your mouth.  If they were more flexible, the grip would be improved and that would help so many denture wearers.  Until then......we all suffer. 

40 Messages

• 

840 Points

There is absolutely no incentive to make dentures that are fit for purpose as you describe, as they want us to have implants so they  make more money.  Simple as. These implants by the way are guaranteed for only 5 years; guess why.  Dentures: same guarantee if you can get one.  Why do they need so many adjustments, repairs etc.??  Why did my mum own 2 pairs only, from age 30 to 78??  If they can put satellite's in space, then they can give us great, low cost dentures.  Imagine if they did, this website would not exist; who would need to buy all the 'gunk' they are trying to sell us.  Fixodent??  Belongs in the 20th C. It's shocking, but it's true. I am waiting for the tsunami of problems/complaints to hit re: Peri-Impantitis.  It's coming.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2561578/Why-teeth-implants-painful-costly-mistake-life.htm...

1 Message

• 

260 Points

7 years ago

I've tried both fixadent, polygrip, and then the polygrip that is "supposed" to hold food out....it's frustrating I can't seem to even eat a small simple ANYTHING no matter what time of day it is if i've had them in for a minute or all day the bottom WONT stay in.
I'm afraid to go out with friends worried that they will come loose...they can be messy as you all know and I don't feel entirely comfortable taking it out, and gluing it back in the middle of a restaurant...just frustrating..

123 Messages

• 

2K Points

Thanks for trying Fixodent, Gillaire and I certainly understand your concern about eating out.  Over time, your gums will shrink and change, causing your dentures to become loose.  Check with your dentist to see if an adjustment or a reline will help.  Also, if you're new to dentures, it can take time for the muscles of your lips, cheeks & tongue to "learn" to hold your lower denture in place.  If you have other questions, feel free to let me know.  Hang in there, it will get better!

2 Messages

• 

252 Points

yes all that is true ,and i think your and my dintist should of told me and you about all the ups and downs of the Lower dentures BUT THE DENTISTS THESE DAYS TREAT PEOPLE LIKE A NUMBER JUST ANOTHER DOLLAR SIGN TO THEM .I WISH YOU THE BEST

2 Messages

• 

178 Points

I hear you have tried thermometer plastics every brand on shelf and waterproof on line. I am luck if holds for 4 hours drinking is okay but cannot eat. I have to take out bottoms to eat then go to bathroom to re-insert kinda hate the bottom choice

53 Messages

• 

952 Points

so sorry to hear  why  cant  they stay  that's awful 

1 Message

• 

120 Points

i take my bottom ones out to eat its only a partial denture but nothing will hold it in place awful i dont eat all day till i come home from work then i take them out and eat .

1 Message

• 

100 Points

7 years ago

I'm soon to get fitted for a full lower denture ,I've been very concerned about how they'd work and what I might expect.
After having heard a few disconcerting accounts from several people of discomfort and looseness when eating and I've been told that since a persons tongue is always moving against the plate that it made it difficult for them to stay in place,however a dentist that I have every confidence in has told me with a very positive assertion that I would get used to them and that they'd stay in place and that until I could afford surgical screws that these will work fine..so all that is just to say that I appreciate having heard these comments so that I have some ideas from real people with similar concerns and solutions.

4 Messages

• 

470 Points

I have had full upper and lower for 1 year. Tried everything including adjustments and adhesives. Prior to removal of my teeth, my dentist assured me that if they are properly adjusted they will not flop around. (As I had been warned by others of this common problem). Then 6 months after having all my teeth pulled, and about 9 adjustments she changed her story to: "no patient of ours has ever needed so many adjustments, you are going to have to understand that bottom dentures flop. There is no way they can't. Everytime you move your mouth they are going to pop up. You need to learn how to control them." My response is: Which one is it, I need to learn how to control them, or they are automatically going to pop up every time I move my mouth? My advice would be (if it isn't to late). Look into these things that slip over your unattractive teeth like a retainer with pearly whites that snugly slip over your teeth covering the flaws. Unless you are having pain from decay. If you are, then try only having the painful ones removed as they occur. My point, basically is that dentures have proven to be strictly for cosmetic benefits (atleast in my experience) . Don't take any advice pertaining to dentures from anyone who hasn't experienced the challenges and emotional stress of being a denture wearer themselves.

3 Messages

• 

142 Points

So very true ; until you have to deal with this problem yourself no one knows how deeply embarrassing it is ; humiliating and forget about self esteem I can't go out for fear of what can happen ; no one knows like ive said how it feels until it happens to them

12 Messages

• 

436 Points

I had temporary dentures put in in August, 2014.  I have had numerous adjustments done.  Every time I eat anything the bottom denture pops up.  I want to be able to eat a hamburger or something similar, but am unable to.  The bottom denture popped up when I was eating ice cream!  I have tried every which way to control my cheeks, lips, and tongue to avoid this, also to no avail.  I am suppose to get mini implants on the bottom when I get my permanent dentures.  I am with Ms. Mathias, I would never have gotten the bottom denture if I would have known about this!

15 Messages

• 

580 Points

One thing I've learned and I hate to say am fanatical about lately.  When I'm going to be somewhere in public where I have to eat.  It must be soft.  And nothing too hot.  Soup would be great but melts the goop off right away.  Steak....not in a restaurant but I will eat it at home with small bites.  Sandwich, not in public. I've learned baked potato and chicken are the safest. 

Before going into a restaurant I do a little tongue test.  If it is sort of loose I free it up, order and go to the ladies room and reapply the goop.  I'm back to Polident now which is thicker and less ooz.  SMALL bites of food don't free up the denture.  Putting too much in my mouth will.  I can eat a hamburger but it has to be cut in half so I can get the little pointed end in.  Small bites.

Don't drink hot liquid during the meal as it will free up the goo.  When I'm done eating and if I feel I need a reglue off I go to the ladies room again.  The darn tubes say use once a day. Yup, if you never eat!!!!

I have a very small mouth to start out with so I have very little room for food and teeth to work together.  chewing has to be deliberate so as not to loosen the denture.

It is very embarrassing.  And none of us would have had our teeth pulled if it wasn't necessary.  I have to remind myself of the pain I used to be in before.  Not that life is easy now but unfortunately its just the way it is.  If you take them out because they are a pain to deal with you will never get use to them. You have to make yourself leave them in.  I was taking them out at night.  Such a relief. And truly you should to let your gums breathe.  But then I was having more trouble during the day.  So now I do it every other night and it seems better.

Think Positive!!!!!
You can do it!!!!
(there really isn't much choice :( )
It was just one year ago I was gold my bottom teeth had to be pulled.  It was 3 months before it was done.  I had time to prepare mentally.  And I went up and down the roller coaster and elevator and everything else in between.  But until you can accept that life has changed, your new choppers won't accept you.

I will add that the soft relign was awesome too, for the first day.  I had a hard relign after 6 months and it was so much better.  Not perfect but better. 

Hang in there!

12 Messages

• 

436 Points

cjs, thank you for your comments.  I have been trying to leave my dentures in and taking them out to clean them and putting them back in.  Still not working.  All I can do is hang in there, don't really have a choice.  At least you have been able to eat a hamburger.  I have to get the little sliders and cut in half and then cut the halves into three parts and chew really slow.  I have just opted for soft food like mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, etc.   I keep trying and keep getting really discouraged.  I keep hoping when I get my permanent dentures and mini implants, it will be better.  I am usually a very positive person and will continue to be as long as I am not eating  haha.

102 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

7 years ago

All of these comments about bottom dentures is starting to depress me. I had all of my teeth extracted on Monday -- 4 days ago -- my bottom dentures are giving me all kinds of problems! I keep telling myself that it will get better -- but now I am not so sure it will. When does it get better?? Is there anyone out there who had these problems in the beginning but found that it got better??

1 Message

• 

100 Points

I got mine in September, yes it does get better. You learn how to hold them in, fixodent does help, keep going back to your dentist for adjustments. I still have to keep going back, my gums are still changing. I was depressed in the beginning too, now my confidence is coming back and I'm pain free. Hang in there.

102 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

Thanks for the positive comment. It's nice to hear something positive about bottom dentures for a change.

15 Messages

• 

580 Points

I'd like to say thanks too. I have my new bottoms for 4 weeks now. They look great and I have a wonderful smile. Eating is a nightmare. I finally figured out how to chew and the dentist did a reline with a soft material to make them more comfortable in the office. Nice. Felt great for a few hours 3 days ago. Now I feel like I'm back to square one and can't chew at all. I think there should be some kind of learning to chew video out there!!!!

16 Messages

• 

362 Points

The pain gets better, but then it can frustrate u when your denturist will not listen when you are telling them where it hurts

2 Messages

• 

252 Points

It will get better as time goes bye,I got mine 5 months ago and the top stay's in good ,now the Lower ones are a majer problem it's just taking longer than i was told my dentest is like a used car dealer LOL hang in there it will get better : )

10 Messages

• 

320 Points

7 years ago

Tammy, I have only got my top dentures in (month and a half ago now since my extractions) but I do know people who have bottom dentures and they are very happy with them. My dad got full set of dentures when he was 21 and I grew up with him never complaining about his teeth until about 6 months into his Chemo treatments when he lost 75lbs. It does get better.

102 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

7 years ago

Janis, Thanks for your encouraging words ~ I guess everyone is different. I am going to keep hoping my bottom denture will fiit better with time!! I go see my dentist tomorrow ~ then next Tues, he is going to do a "temp reline" whatever that is! Then in 6 months he said I will get a "permanent reline" ~ not really sure what all of that means yet, but I am hoping by the 6 month reline that my lower dentures will fit better. Good luck to everyone.

40 Messages

• 

840 Points

In this very short comment, you have said TWICE that you aren't sure, whatever that is??!! Why are you not:
1. Asking the questions to the dentist?
2. Using the internet to educate yourself; knowledge IS power!!

Hope and luck ain't gonna do it alone. They need your help! Stop being a passive bystander in your own life!!

16 Messages

• 

362 Points

That's not very fair to say because I was in the exact same position. I asked many times & they just brushed me off on Everything. It's like taking a Spanish class without being told what the words mean. IT was TERRIBLE & FRUSTRATING. But, I did come across a denture site that helped me & the women would keep everyone updated. I had NO clue!

64 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

I agree!! That is not nice at all!!! I think people on here want advice and compassion, not criticism! There is no reason to use cruel words, especially to someone you don't know! Good luck Cathie Walthall-Powell. I hope everything turns out good for you! :-)

16 Messages

• 

362 Points

Thank you! We all need a place to vent, converse get advice etc. This should be the place !!

52 Messages

• 

2K Points

We get a few "I love my soapbox" type here, I hate that when people ASSume that because they know jack shit everyone does. Newsflash websites/you tube only can help so much. It must be nice to be "heard" by a Dr./any medical types without worrying you sound like a doofus.