Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

6 Messages

• 

140 Points

Thu, Oct 17, 2013 3:05 PM

Problem with gagging with new denures

I have just recently gotten new upper dentures. I have three teeth on the top so there is spots where the denture does clasp to the other teeth. My problem is the part of the denture that rests on the palate makes me gag. I have asked my dentist if we can cut out the palate part and make it more of a horseshoe style denture being that the dentiure does clasp on to a few other teeth.

He tells me that the palate part is there to add stability to the denture and if we cut out the palate part of the denture it won't be as stable, I have the flexible style denture. I can't see this, because the dentiure does clasp onto a few other teeth so how would it become less stable? If it wwasn't for the palate part of the denture I wouldn't have this gagging feeling which I fear I may never get used to. Any suggestions from anyone or has anyone ever has htis modification Im describing done to their upper denture.

Thanks, Russ

Responses

18 Messages

• 

274 Points

7 years ago

Hi Russ! I have a very small mouth and had the same issue. Add to that a childhood of throat/tonsil problems and it seems even if I think about it I gag. I found that the more water I drank, swallowing small bits, helped me to get used to it. If you feel you're going to gag just lean forward a bit, breathe through your nose and swallow some more. It is very annoying but I can promise you'll get used to it.

The dentist is right about the stability. It's more the suction at the top of the mouth to hold them into place. The problem is if they trim too much away they can't add back to it. If it doesn't get better you may want to get another opinion. If it comes to that minimal trimming and test fittings should show just how little can be taken away to give you comfort.

Good luck!

6 Messages

• 

140 Points

7 years ago

Thanks for your reply, I guess I'll just have to tough it out. It feels very strange even trying to eat with this thing in my mouth. In fact I can't. I put it in and within 30 seconds Im gagging. Oh well, could be something worse then this right.

Russ

18 Messages

• 

274 Points

7 years ago

Wishing you luck. Has it gotten any better eating since you last replied?

6 Messages

• 

140 Points

7 years ago

No

123 Messages

• 

2K Points

7 years ago

Sorry to hear it hasn't gotten better, Russ.  Gagging is natural with new dentures and often goes away.  Nannette is correct that the palate area of an upper denture helps provide suction.  If the gagging persists, ask your dentist if an adjustment or a very slight trim of the back of your dentures will provide relief.  Hang in there!

1 Message

• 

60 Points

7 years ago

I had the same problem. My dentist was reluctant to remove any material from the palet area, but I convinced him to just remove the tiny bit that was touching the soft flesh just behind the hard pallet. It worked like a charm with no loss of grip.

6 Messages

• 

140 Points

7 years ago

Thanks for the info I will do the same

5 Messages

• 

120 Points

7 years ago

i had my dentist cut a u shapr from the back of my top plate i can now ear them and NO loss of suction at all she could not believe that still not eating solid food but at least i can wear them they sure are pretty ..so yes they can be altered..

6 Messages

• 

140 Points

7 years ago

But you can't eat solid food with them? Isn't that a problem?

6 Messages

• 

140 Points

7 years ago

Mine are not full dentures I still have three teeth on the top that the denture connects to. It's that palate part that gives me the sensation of gagging. I asked my dentist to trm that area back but with a lot of reluctance he says he will but if it doesn't work you can't add anything back to it but I think Im going to have him cut that area back anyway and give it a try. Thanks, Russ