Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

18 Messages

• 

312 Points

Thu, Oct 15, 2020 8:54 AM

Partials Hurt

I’m on Day 14. I had an oral surgeon knock me out and pulled a total of 13 teeth. All my uppers and 2 (although I already had a few missing from previous years) on the bottom. So, I wear a full upper and a lower partial. From all my research I expected to have problems with the uppers, but they fit really well thus far. It’s the bottom partials, which only provides me 3 molars, as I have my natural teeth in the front. I tried wearing the partial for the first week, but I think it is hitting an incision area that hasn’t finished healing and really hurts. So, I quit wearing the partials and made an appointment with my dentist to have them take a look. They’re backed way up so I can’t have them look until the end of this month. But I’m able to function with only the uppers and my natural teeth. It’s slow, but tolerable, progress. Is it possible they made my partials wrong?  Or, do you think they’ll eventually heal up and fit better?  Btw, I even tried applying Benzodent as I wore them but it was just too painful. 

Responses

1.6K Messages

• 

25.9K Points

16 days ago

Do salt water rinses for 6mths after exo's so your gums can heal nicely. Your gums will keep changing for that time period. Try some adhesive in that area until you see them. It may act like a "filler" in that spot to help prevent pressure. It will get better. Hope this helps. Hang in there!

18 Messages

• 

312 Points

@josie_e4d925 I wrote my original post on Day 14.  I'm Day 24 now and still cannot wear the bottom partials.  I am continuing to rinse as you suggested (thank you).  The tops denture, although loose without adhesive is fitting nicely -- and hardly any discomfort.  It's the bottom partials that are just not right.  I'm having to eat without molars, pretty much.  Eating on those open sockets can sometimes be problematic.  I have an appointment for them to check my partials this next week.  I'll have them see if any adjustment on the top denture (because it's loose) needs to be done -- or if I just have to use adhesive.  So far I'm pretty happy -- just these few adjustments.  Anything comes to mind, let me know.  Thank you kindly, again.

18 Messages

• 

312 Points

7 hours ago

UPDATE:  I got those partials fixed today.  They were all wrong in various places -- admittedly by the folks who made them.  So they made corrections and applied a soft reline.  They also gave my top denture a soft liner and I am absolutely blown away at what a difference that made.  I don't even need any adhesive.  I hope that lasts.  And if it doesn't, I have unlimited with what I paid for, so I'll go back when needed.  With that said, the partials on the bottom is only three teeth, 2 molars on the left and 1 on the right.  So, the tech told me I really shouldn't wear them when I eat because they're only for cosmetics.  This I find a little crazy because I don't really care since no one ever sees my molars, lol!  Anyhow, I'll continue to wear these until I get my permanents in 6 months.  That's it for now here on Day 31!  I'm on my way and doing well!  P.S. Happy Halloween everyone!