Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

Tue, Oct 6, 2020 4:36 AM

Only 6 days in and I’m regretting my decision

I had a full mouth extraction (25 teeth) performed on September 30. Here’s the problem... my bottom denture feels waaayyyyy too big for my mouth. My children say it makes my face look weird. They puff out my cheeks and my lower lip. 
The dentist said I’m not biting correctly, but honestly, if I bite down the way he wants me to, it hurts too bad. 
I went back 48 hours post-op and they buffed down some spots that was causing me pain, but I just feel ridiculous now with the teeth in. I feel like the bottom teeth aren’t mine. I feel like they were made for someone else. I can’t even swallow with them in because they go so far back that my tongue is constantly pushed back. My speech is mediocre, I suppose. I still have a lisp, but the dentist said that will go away. 

And don’t get me started on how they said by day two I should be eating scrambled eggs. I can’t chew with those monstrous things in my mouth. 
Fortunately, I am able to get the implants in approximately 4 months, but what should I do until then? Should I just deal with the awful bottoms or keep bugging my dentist? I mean with a price tag of over $5000, you would think I would get something more suited for me. Correct? 

Responses

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

2 months ago

Someone please help. 😭

1.6K Messages

• 

26K Points

@dandelily

Hey. Can you post a pic of your smile from the nose down? What did you pay for in your Treatment Plan? Let me know and I can try to help guide you. One thing for sure is you need to stay on the Dentist to help you. 

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

So I paid a little over $5500. I have not paid for the implants yet. I’ve included a photo that I took today. When I have the bottoms in, I can’t feel anything protruding out of my left cheek, but on my right, it’s really bad. It makes my cheek pop out far as well as my bottom lip. My son told me I look like I have a wad of dip in my lip. But the s’s still aren’t coming naturally. The bottom prevents my tongue from moving. It basically stays in the back of my mouth. Lol

1.6K Messages

• 

26K Points

You have a great smile! Hang in there. Ask them to adjust the outside of the denture on your right side. It's common to go for several adjustments. This is all new and foreign in your mouth. Keep practicing.

19 Messages

• 

240 Points

@dandelily  i had full aug 31st... ive regretted ever since until today... Oct 26th- i finally recognized myself - i was wearing at night fearing my face would change shape, but as you will see its only new patients on here

15 Messages

• 

206 Points

2 months ago

I would keep bugging the dentist.  Surely, there's something he can do you help you. After paying all that money, there should be.  You're ahead of me.  I go for extractions on Thursday and go home with immediates.   I'm already out of pocket over $4000 ( I already paid in full when I went for impressions)  so I feel your pain.  If I have problems with mine, I'm going to keep going back until they fit properly.  I do realize that they're not going to fit perfectly because the gums will be shrinking so much, but have mercy, surely they can do something to make things easier until it's time for the permanents.

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

@ridge_rider Today my husband called me Bubba (you know from Forrest Gump) because my bottom lip pokes out so far. It’s completely unnatural. I just hate being a bother. The top teeth are perfect, but these bottoms are HUGE. I can’t even lick my bottom lip. Lol

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

I bugged the dentist again. I go in Wednesday for an appointment. They say I need an adjustment. I didn’t think that happened until about 3 months in. Hopefully this fixes my Bubba Gump lip and my lisp and hopefully I’m finally able to chew. 

1.6K Messages

• 

26K Points

Girl adjustments can start even 24hrs after which I notice in your opening they did some for you on post-op. Keep practicing speaking out loud or singing, reading a book or the paper. Practice saying "s" example count from 60-79. They should be able to trim the lower to get rid of that look for you.

18 Messages

• 

270 Points

2 months ago

omg you poor thing! Girl, I would be calling my dentist every 5 minutes if I were you! Don’t feel bad, don’t worry about bothering them. You have a legitimate reason! You can’t eat!!!! It’s not like your just calling because they feel funny lol are they any better since it’s been a little while since your original post? 

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

@Emma569 

I wish I could say yes, but I can’t. They are worse. I do have an appointment on Wednesday, so hopefully it helps. They have actually gotten to the point that I can’t keep them in my mouth. I have to use so much adhesive, numerous times a day because they are so loose. The stop still fits, although I have noticed that I have to use more adhesive with those as well. I still have 4 months before I can get the implants. People have told me that it typically takes about a month to a month and a half to start learning how to eat again, but according to my dentist, I should have been able to chew soft things by day two. I’m really discouraged. I didn’t realize how detrimental it would be for my mental health, but it’s extremely depressing. 

6 Messages

• 

110 Points

I have just completed my implant journey which took me a whole year because of COVID.  My dentist had to shut down right in the middle of my procedure and I was left with a mouthful of sutures for a month.  Believe me, you will eat a lot of things like you used to again, but differently.  Hamburgers?  Yes, but cut up.  Steak?  Yes, but itty bitty pieces.  Pizza?  Hmm...maybe, if you can cut it up bite size, otherwise no.  Chicken will be easy after awhile and also veggies if you overcook them a bit.  Broccoli is a little bit iffy.   Chips and popcorn?  No.  Tomatoes are okay but it's easier if you take the skin off.  Lettuce is hard to chew.  You'll figure it out as you go along.

I know it will seem forever until you're eating well again, but please believe me, it will happen.

I got depressed too, especially when I finally had the implants uncovered and the abutments placed.  That put me back to soup and pudding for awhile.  But, that too shall pass.  Be patient with yourself and don't expect everything to go back to normal in just a few weeks.

In the end, you'll get your new permanent teeth and a whole new culinary world will open up!  The day I got my new teeth I went home and had a bagel for the first time in a year.  And Triscuits and cheese.  And a big fat hamburger.

Would I do again?  You bet!  It's totally worth it in the end.  Keep your eye on the prize, girl! 

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

Thank you so much for the reassurance! Things are just so hard. Especially now since my lower right jaw is hurting. And it hurts all the way to my ear. And I have a headache on the right side of my head. From the research, I know it’s because they aren’t fitting correctly. Hopefully it all gets settled when I go back tomorrow. 

1.6K Messages

• 

26K Points

Your pic looks great! I responded to it above. You'll get through this like caroln said.

6 Messages

• 

110 Points

Yes, I agree.  You look absolutely beautiful in your picture. 

68 Messages

• 

796 Points

2 months ago

You can get adjustments as soon as a week. My dentist did at least. They fit more snug because they shave down the dentures. My mouth is apparently small 🤷🏾‍♀️. Dunno how many people come in for dentures that have big mouths 😂🤣🤦🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️ @dandelily . My first big adjustments were at 3 weeks though. Wisdom teeth holes

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

@melissa_tolson 

I am pretty sure I will get a pretty big one today. I am excited!

6 Messages

• 

110 Points

Come back and tell us how everything went!

18 Messages

• 

270 Points

2 months ago

Hope your adjustment went well!!

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

@Emma569 

The are completely remaking the bottom set. I knew something was off. And I was right. 

18 Messages

• 

270 Points

Well that’s good! I know it sucks that they messed up in the first place and you have been put through hell since extraction but at least they are fixing them now!!! Do the tops feel any better with the adjustments?

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

Yes! The tops feel so much better. They have suction again!!

6 Messages

• 

110 Points

Hope you feel better about things now!  I remember the victories that I had made me feel so happy I wanted to cry!  :)

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."  Dolly Parton

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

Thank you! Next up, learning to chew! I can talk normal again, which is a plus!

15 Messages

• 

206 Points

2 months ago

E-day was 10/8.  I still don't have my dentures in.  They seem too big.  They seem to fit my mouth ok, but they won't stay, they just fall down.   I called the office and the only day they could get me in is next Wednesday.  I hope they can fix this.  I'm getting frustrated.  Right now, I'm dealing with bumps on my lower gum which I hope goes away in a few days.  They appeared a couple of days ago and I have no idea what they are.  I asked about them when making the appointment for next week and was told the oral surgeon is quarantined as he was around someone who had Covid and I had to see him.  Does anyone know how much implants cost?  Just thinking ahead.

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

@ridge_rider 

If they are falling out, they are definitely too large for your mouth. Your gums will shrink a lot. Especially within the first 4 months after extractions. I haven’t experienced any bumps on my gums, but I do have some sharp points here and there. Ive read that any bumps after extraction can smooth out spontaneously. They aren’t painful are they? Do they look like they are filled with anything?

The cost of implants varies. It depends on how many need to be placed in your mouth. Where I go, it is $995 per implant. 

6 Messages

• 

120 Points

a month ago

I am almost a week in from having immediate dentures. As soon as they put the dentures in my mouth, I told them they were too loose. The dentist stuck a little adhesive on the top plate, and said give it time. The bottom denture created a huge sore right in the front of my mouth. I went back after 2 days, and he dentist did some grinding, which helped a little, but not much. The top denture feels thick under my lip in the front, but the dentist would not address that problem yet. My dental office was pretty much telling me before I ever got the dentures, that I would have to use adhesive. My sister has never used any adhesive. I can not eat or drink anything without feeling it get under the denture. When I complained of the loose fit, my dentist said that my gums would shrink and I would have to pay for a reline after a few months. My question is...if I pay all of that money for dentures, Shouldn’t they fit initially? Also...shouldn’t they be tight right away due to the swelling? My dentures have been loose Since they put them in.

17 Messages

• 

230 Points

Mine were tight in the beginning, yes. But I did go back after 2 days. They expect to see you within 24-48 hours to adjust them. I also have to use adhesive. But my dentist was upfront about it. Most people use adhesive. A few don’t. Some dentures are higher quality as others and your immediate dentures are not the highest quality. But I will say this, If it is bothering you so bad that you can’t eat or drink without having discomfort, bug your dentist until they get it right. Just call and call and call and call. They were not going to remake my bottoms even with my describing the pain, but I told them I was not going to put the first set back into my mouth. And then they looked again and realized the problem. However, the first few weeks, I ate without my dentures in. I just wanted my gums to heal and I’m so glad I did that. 

but again, bug them to death. Call everyday if you have to!

15 Messages

• 

206 Points

@CherS2479  - I know exactly how you feel.  I had my teeth out over two weeks ago and have never been able to wear my dentures.  When I had the extractions, I was told to come back in two weeks so the dentures could be fitted.  I carried my dentures out in my hand.  I went back last Wednesday.  They cut the tops down as they were too high and that helped but they still were so loose that they wouldn't stay in.  He put a soft liner in and told me not to brush the tops with a toothbrush or the liner would come out.  He then put a lot of fixadent super hold on both top and bottom dentures and they seemed to stay somewhat.  He told me as my gums shrink, the dentures would be "like a rooster wearing boots".  I made it to the car and had to take out the bottom denture.  I had so much saliva that I was gagging.  I forgot the denture cup at the dentist's office so wrapped the bottom denture in a paper towel and went home.  I make it home with the top denture in but took it out as I was really hungry and wanted to eat.  I was having troubles swallowing with the denture in.  I also couldn't spit without saliva going under the denture.   I had an extra denture cup at home and put the dentures in there and filled the cup with water.  The next morning. I tried to get the denture adhesive out but it is stuck tight in the dentures and I still can't get it out.  I tried polident as well as soaking in dawn dish liquid over night.  That was last Wednesday and here it is Monday and I have to go to work without dentures again.  I just can't get the adhesive out.  I'm out $1800 just for the dentures alone.  I'm so disgusted and frustrated.  I could have saved that money and put it toward implants if I had been smart.  I think I'll go to another place to get cheap dentures just for the top to last until I can get permanents.  

(edited)

15 Messages

• 

206 Points

a month ago

I'm so frustrated.  I called the denture place again.  The lady I spoke to said,  "I told you your gums were going to shrink and the dentures wouldn't fit right to start with.  She laughed at me when I said I wanted a refund on the second reline which I haven't gotten yet.  I just hung up...frustrated beyond belief.  I see now, I'm not getting any help from them.

1.6K Messages

• 

26K Points

@ridge_rider

Unfortunately your gums will recede quickly the first 6mths after extractions and the denture will get loose as it can't shrink with your gums. That's why Relines help until the gums finish healing. Hang in there. 

6 Messages

• 

110 Points

I don't understand what this lady is saying.  If your dentures are too big to begin with, how is your gums shrinking going to make them fit any better?  She's not making any sense.

Also, I've never heard of a dentist telling someone NOT to brush the liner.  I can understand maybe the first few days until it hardens up real good, but after that a soft toothbrush to clean them won't hurt.  The liner should not come out. 

I wish I could tell you what to do, but I've never been in your position and I wouldn't want to tell you wrong.  All I can do is commiserate and hope you can get this resolved.  Even if it costs you more money I'd go to someone else, preferably someone who has good recommendations.  You have to be able to eat!