Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Fri, Jun 28, 2013 10:14 AM

New denture comfort food!

I'm on day no. 2 of my dentures, and discovered a great food that seems to work very well with the tentativeness of eating with these things: ravioli!Not only are they tasty, but they almost seem tailor-made for this ecxact situation! Try it! Just make sure they cool down a good bit, they'll go down like magic, without challenging your new dentures with all kinds of unpredictable shapes!
(from faceinacrowd)

Responses

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

7 years ago

You should be able to eat chicken if you cut it up real small. I use boneless breasts.

1 Message

• 

80 Points

7 years ago

Just joined the site, had 14 extractions done 8 days ago. Dealing with a full upper and lower partial (6 teeth left on the bottom).

The first 4 days I lived on soup broth and jello. Finally got desperate and started pushing myself a bit more this week. I've found potatoes, nearly all pasta, eggs, (thin sliced) toast, diced up chicken, and ground beef all seem to be fairly easy to get down.

Unfortunately, the last 2 days I haven't been able to put the upper denture back in. I literally cry in pain after 2 minutes. Going on a hunt tomorrow for some benzodent (thank you net searches!).

I noticed a few replies talking about affordability of getting the work done. I would highly recommend looking into AffordableDentures. I live in NH and was getting estimates ranging from 8-10k. With them it cost me 2100. Well worth the 2 hour drive to RI where the closest office was. And some even take insurances. Best of all, I felt completely unjudged, which I can't say about the other 8 practices I visited over the last 2 years.

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

7 years ago

Thnka you for this information. I am also going to have one in my future

1 Message

• 

60 Points

6 years ago

Hey all...I got 30 teeth pulled july 9,,i have a Q? im still havin soreness when im trying to eat on the left and right side of my mouth..i hurts like hell when I try to bite down on noodles or anything soft???

3 Messages

• 

110 Points

Hi ntencity, sorry you are experiencing so much pain. I had the same thing happen on the sides as well when I would bite down. My denture was a bit too tall and once I went back in for an adjustment and reline it helped tremendously. But something else that may help until you can do that is Cushion Grip, I could only find it locally at CVS. It really was a life saver with taking the pressure from the denture off my gum until I got back in for that adjustment. I had to deal with a bad infection on the left side top as well so I was extra sore for a while. Don't forget to continually do your salt water rinse, it helps at all points throughout your denture wearing when you get sore spots or erosion. Once I found the Cushion Grip I was finally able to eat with comfort and by week 3 I was pretty much eating all regular food again with no problems. I no longer use the Cushion Grip since having mine relined but in that first week when I first got my denture I would have probably sacrificed a first born for several tubes of it.....j/k.

164 Messages

• 

2.9K Points

6 years ago

@ntencity, sorry to hear you are having pain while chewing. Unfortunately, pain can linger for several weeks after getting teeth pulled. Be sure to follow up with your dentist and make sure that the pain you are experiencing is within the normal range, and keep us posted on your progress!

1 Message

• 

60 Points

6 years ago

My Dr said to rinse with salt water often as it cleanses, promotes healing and reduces pain. It really does but that wasn't possible for me to do often at work. I cut chilled watermelon into small pieces, salted them and slowly chewed them. It really was soothing and good. It also relieved some pain. Salted orange pieces are good, too.
I like salt on some of my fruits but I know many don't and/or are limited on salt intake.

6 Messages

• 

250 Points

6 years ago

I just had my remaining 10 teeth in the top and 4 teeth on the bottom extracted 5 days ago. I have a full plate on the upper and a partial on the lower. I can't eat anything but soups easily. I did try ravioli and it's easier to eat than somethings, but it still has a very alien feeling in my mouth. I still have stitches and some open areas on my gums, but the pain is subsiding. I agree with Aileen, I would love to sink my teeth into a piece of pizza, but that is not remotely possible. Will I ever be able to eat real food again. At least, I'm dropping weight pretty quickly. I haven't had a whole lot to eat in the last 5 days and I'm really getting hungry! Any encouragement or positive words would be much appreciated.

164 Messages

• 

2.9K Points

Hi Peggi, sorry to hear you are having trouble eating. To answer your question, yes, you will be able to eat real food again! The healing takes time but many people report they can eat their favorite foods after about a month. Don’t be afraid to check with your dentist to make sure everything is healing properly. With a little time, you’ll become more used to having the dentures and eating will be easier. There’s lots of advice and encouraging stories on this forum alone. Best of luck!!

6 Messages

• 

250 Points

Thank you so much, Stephanie, for your encouraging words. I saw my dentist this morning for my first follow-up. He said I was healing very well and that having the dentures put in right after the extraction can be very uncomfortable and that he sometimes recommends to patients after they have multiple extractions to let the gums heal for a week or two and then put the dentures in. He gave me permission to take them out if they get too uncomfortable. I still have raw wounds in my gums and a few stitches, so he said it would take awhile for it to be really comfortable for me. I guess I didn't get too much information before I had this done. I would have thought I would have had more information before they sent me home with a sore mouth and a new apparatus to get adjusted to. Live and learn, I guess.

3 Messages

• 

82 Points

6 years ago

I'm on my 5th day of my plastic dentures I go back in February of 2015 for my real lower dentures. I already have my real upper dentures it's still hard. I had all my teeth extracted without pain thanks to my great dentist. My Dentist wanted me to keep my lower dentures in for 2 weeks I have 9 more days although my lower are hurting right now when I chew so I might call them just to make sure otherwise I am losing weight.
My dentures look great I am so happy I have them in I can smile again .

3 Messages

• 

82 Points

6 years ago

After my 9 days I'll be able to put fixodent on my lower dentures so hopefully I'll be able to eat my favorite foods I'll be very happy I am definitely losing weight.
The only encouragement I have is to hang in there you can do it!! If I can do it anybody can do it. I love this site the foods I have been eating have been mash potatoes with chicken or beef gravy, roman noddles, soups are always great as well as jello in the gelatin form. My hubby was sweet enough to buy me some chocolate ice cream for my sweet tooth.

3 Messages

• 

82 Points

6 years ago

Oh and one more thing is that Fixodent now has Fixodent with Scope tastes much better than the plain Fixodent.