Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Fri, Jun 28, 2013 10:14 AM

New denture comfort food!

I'm on day no. 2 of my dentures, and discovered a great food that seems to work very well with the tentativeness of eating with these things: ravioli!Not only are they tasty, but they almost seem tailor-made for this ecxact situation! Try it! Just make sure they cool down a good bit, they'll go down like magic, without challenging your new dentures with all kinds of unpredictable shapes!
(from faceinacrowd)

Responses

1 Message

• 

120 Points

7 years ago

I'm at 3 weeks and finally feeling better. Ate a lot of mashed potatoes with gravy and broth which were yummy. the first day ate alot of ice cream:). Also tried to drink powerade/gatorade to hydrate myself. Had some chicken pot pie, and mashed up the chicken into small pieces. Am going to get some mac and cheese, but have been dreaming of grilled hot dogs/bun and spaghetti with meat sauce. Just looking forward to the day when there is no pain/soreness and the full dentures do not feel like a foreign object in my mouth. :)
Hang on everyone, better times are coming. thanks for sharing. It has encouraged me.

123 Messages

• 

2K Points

7 years ago

Hi Susan, thanks for sharing your ideas for food suggestions.  Take it one day at a time, eventually you'll come to the point where you can eat most everything and you won't even realize you're wearing dentures.  You're right, better times are coming!

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

Karen, does that really happen? Eventually I'll be able to eat most anything and not even think about wearing dentures? And what about taste?

18 Messages

• 

396 Points

Hi I’m on day 7 and am finding it very difficult to eat hardly anything. I feel like I have an elephant in my mouth. I’ve been reading all these comments and am hoping they are true that it will get better. I want to be able to enjoy the holidays coming up. Please help me have confidence that it will get better.

9 Messages

• 

202 Points

7 years ago

I found after my extractions that I could eat fig newtons. It sounds crazy but I was able to "chew" them 2 weeks after my top extractions and I just tried some today (2 1/2 weeks since my bottom teeth were pulled) I am glad they spaced mine out because I had 26 teeth! I also ate crabcakes which were pretty easy to get down! I love the suggestion of ravioli, it does seem made just for this situation and there are so many varities of flavors. I am looking foward to the day when I don't have to worry about my dentures.

1 Message

• 

80 Points

7 years ago

Hi, I'm on Day 2, hard to tell if I have sore spots or not from the bad pain I'm still in, been eating chef boy are dee myself, very simple and oatmeal, sure hope tomorrow will be less painful, I went to my dentist this am and he decided to leave the denture in until tomorrow since I was feeling so good, that was shortly lived, a few hrs later horrible pain. I am doing well as far as fit goes, I have worn a partial for years and was use to having that feel in my mouth. Scrambled eggs are good as well, tried to nibble on a very soft piece of toast, BIG mistake

3 Messages

• 

120 Points

7 years ago

Day 2 here. Full uppers and lowers, 26 teeth in all. Not much swelling, I did get my dentures adjusted today. Sore spots are the worst.
I have had yogurt and puddings.
But what really has saved me is my nutri bullet.
Stay hydrated, and you can add protein. So you can feel full.
I was worried about my energy levels. Did the research. It truly has helped me.
I am very nervous about food. Chewing and so fourth, but for now I'm OK. Just going to focus on healing up.
Good luck to us all. And thank you so much for sharing.

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

May I ask what you spent, I'm having exactly the same thing, 26 teeth and full dentures. I'm still getting prices, seeing everything from $4000 to 10,000.

3 Messages

• 

120 Points

I had insurance. But my cost was 2600.
The total cost was just under 17000.

Go to the one that makes you comfortable, and will listen to you.
Communication is most important. You will have good, and bad days.
Good luck! It's a big choice.

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Thanks, yikes, that's a bunch! I'm also seeing that it varies a lot from state to state. Seems more expensive up North, I'm in Louisiana, so that's a plus. U R right, aside from cost, I'll have to feel at ease with the surgeon and only someone using conscious sedation. First guy insists on general anesthesia, so ruling him out was easy.

3 Messages

• 

120 Points

Wow. That sounds scary. I had conscious sedation.
Worked pretty well.
I think your right about price. I'm in Washington.
I hope you find your dentist soon. This was the most nerve wracking time. I knew what I needed, just didn't know who to go to.

Good luck.. Please let us know, how your doin..

10 Messages

• 

296 Points

I'm live in Massachusetts my insurence paid for my extractions but not for dentures. Just for my dentures I paid 3600.00, does that seem high?

102 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

7 years ago

I am so happy to have found this web site ~ there are so many great suggestions and tips!! Plus, it makes me feel a lot better to know there are so many great people going through the same thing I am!! I am only on Day 1 ~ had all my teeth extracted yesterday and dentures put right in. It is tough now but will be worth all the pain later. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Please update when you have a chance, I need to do the same thing.

18 Messages

• 

278 Points

Had mine done yesterday with full set put right in! had a bridge and a partial before but this is still a big adjustment! Upper is ok but bottom is really hard not staying in can't eat anything without them moving,yuck! Had one adjustment today but not readjusted till next week. Lets see if it gets any better in the next week!! Good luck to all!!Hope it works out for all of us!

102 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

I wonder why the bottoms are so difficult??!! I can't talk much less eat with my bottoms in ~ I know they don't want you to use adhesive, but I have to or they would fall out of my mouth!! What did your dentist say about adhesives??

18 Messages

• 

278 Points

the paper they gave me said wait till you heal but when I went in the tech who came in to softline the bottoms said go ahead and put a little fixodent on each bk end to help hold them in. They are staying in better when I talk but still cannot eat anything just soup,yogurt,etc. next appt. isn't till Thurs. I think I will be going in before that!!

102 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

I know how you feel. I have to use some adhesive or they won't stay in!! My gums are doing better. But when I try to eat they start hurting again. I am living on jello, pudding and mashed pot ~ had a milkshake last nite ~ but had to eat it with a spoon ~ tasted really good!! I don't know how they expect for you to NOT use adhesive!! I tried but it sure didn't work for me!!

102 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

7 years ago

Jayelle ~ I was very lucky to find a program in my state (Ohio) called Dental Options. It is designed for people who work but who have no dental insurance. The dentists volunteer to do the work needed at a discounted price ~ usually 50% of the standard fee. The bad part is the waiting list. They go by the county you live in ~ I live in one of the larger ones in Ohio, so there are more people on the list. I waited for a little over a year.

But it was definitely worth it because I couldn't afford the whole thing myself. My husband has a pretty good job ~ I have not worked for about 4 years now. As soon as my mouth heals I am going to start looking for a part-time job ~ I am excited about that too!!

Anyway, I needed 13 extractions. So the cost from the Surgeon together with the Dentist ended up to be about $2,500. We only had to pay half of that ~ $1,250. Very grateful for the program. I have to call them tomorrow ~ you have to check in after your appts and let them know what is going on. I will ask her if she knows if there is a program in your state. Did you say you live in Floridia?? Let me know and I will ask for you. Maybe the waiting list wouldn't be as long for you??

2 Messages

• 

110 Points

I suggest Aspen Dental..not only are they great but will work with you on financing your dentures. Even with my bad credit I was able to get financed...good luck

102 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

Really ~ I was checking out their website yesterday. If my bottom dentures don't fit better soon, I might consider the flexible dentures. Aspen dental has them ~ I didn't think they would consider financing because we have bad credit.

18 Messages

• 

278 Points

That is where I went-Aspen Dental! So far I have been satisfied with them.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I live in Port Richey, FL and I have Simply Health Care Ins. Got 11 extractions, full upper dentures and partial lowers ... all for zip. 45 mins of general anesthesia too!

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

7 years ago

You got an awesome deal! I'm in Louisiana, no ins, there's LSU School of Dentistry in New Orleans, I've heard dental colleges are good when you're strapped for money. Haven't checked it out yet tho.

2 Messages

• 

80 Points

I am in Arkansas. I had 6 extractions and an upper plate. After insurance I paid 571.00. Without insurance it would have been around 1200.

5 Messages

• 

138 Points

I went to the University of the Pacific Dental School in San Francisco. Very happy with the work and cost. Id highly recommend it.

8 Messages

• 

190 Points

7 years ago

I live in California, have Concordia Insurance, and paid only $160 for the anesthesia. I had 21 teeth removed and got full permanent dentures right away.

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

7 years ago

Bobbi did you have conscious sedation or general anesthesia? I don't want to be knocked totally out, gives me the creeps.