Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Fri, Jun 28, 2013 10:14 AM

New denture comfort food!

I'm on day no. 2 of my dentures, and discovered a great food that seems to work very well with the tentativeness of eating with these things: ravioli!Not only are they tasty, but they almost seem tailor-made for this ecxact situation! Try it! Just make sure they cool down a good bit, they'll go down like magic, without challenging your new dentures with all kinds of unpredictable shapes!
(from faceinacrowd)

Responses

3 Messages

• 

136 Points

7 years ago

Thanks Im on day 3 myself

5 Messages

• 

186 Points

i am on day 2 and still so very swollen and bruised but doing ok

1 Message

• 

80 Points

had the rest of my upper teeth removed feb 24th waited 5 weeks then went to affordable dentures and got a temporary upper denture, they fit well but i have no taste now when I eat with them in, I hate that feeling on my palate!! the teeth look good but I didnt realise how yukky that roof of my mouth would feel with the dentures in, I havent read about this problem with not being able to taste food , anyone else have this???

4 Messages

• 

110 Points

I read that there are some taste buds on the roof of your mouth that get covered w/ the denture palate. Most of them though are on the tip of your tongue. I try to make sure the tip of my tongue has more contact w/ whatever I'm eating than unusual. I also read that it helps to spice your food up more at first. When I first got uppers a month ago - I didn't taste it as much even w/ my strategies but that's steadily improved from about 75% of what it had been to about 90% now - it does get better. It's a process - though a tiring one I admit. Good luck!

3 Messages

• 

102 Points

Maryanna mooney, i feel like that too the palate is too much for me, i wanna feel the top of my mouth again.

258 Messages

• 

7.3K Points

I totally understand. It feels weird because anything hot or cold you won't feel due to the palate. But I'm glad I have no more pain.

1 Message

• 

62 Points

7 years ago

Thanks, I had 11 teeth and several roots pulled two days ago and got a complete upper and lower plate. I bought some raviolis last night (I already like them) figuring just what you said. And you're right they do just slide right down. I use frozen cheese raviolis (small) and serve them in broth. They go down with little or no chewing and the chicken broth feels like I'm eating something wholesome (let it cool some first).

258 Messages

• 

7.3K Points

I jus bought some ravioli and I love it. Better than eating chicken noodle soup everyday. All I've been eating is applesauce and danimals smoothies. Lol

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

Another thing that helps is the Dole Shakers. You buy them in the frozen juice section. They have several flavors and you just add your own juice. They are amazing!

1 Message

• 

60 Points

7 years ago

Day 1 with a complete top and partial bottom! I have yet to master drinking water, so haven't tried food yet.

5 Messages

• 

140 Points

I am on day 5. I have partials on the top and bottom. I am pretty good with water and coffee but I still stick to soft foods.

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

day 3 with top and bottoms done.. have lost 3 pounds

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

I am on day 5, I have a top plate. I still have a problem chewing ,I eat pizza last night,and spaghetti today. Did alright,just had to take small bites. The problem I have is it feels like a wad of plastic on my Pilate. Will I ever get used to that?

131 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

You're doing great on day 5, Jim. A lot of people haven't attempted chewing much at that point, so you're off to a great start. Just stick with foods that you feel comfortable with and those that have a natural snap to them, such as broccoli. It will take some time, but you'll get used to the feel eventually. It does get better!

3 Messages

• 

102 Points

Jim Smith great job with pizza. I haven't even dreamed of trying that.

30 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

7 years ago

On day 1 it is a good idea to stick with clear broth and just sip your water and get in as much water as possible. Once you start eating, try vegetable soup. I did eventually progress to macaroni salad and mac & cheese. I think it was around week 3 or 4 that I tried ravioli (4 squars and now 6-7 in week 6) and it is great!

5 Messages

• 

140 Points

I am glad for advice. was wondering what to start with. I have had my partials both top and bottom so I am getting use to wearing them, swallowing. But it is getting better.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I just got full uppers and lowers 6 hours ago. They pulled all my teeth about two months ago. I had stage 4 periodontal disease and major bone loss. My teeth were literally falling out. It was very difficult eating during the healing period, with no teeth. I lived on potatoes, soup, chili, eggs, crab cakes, and Ensure (and similar products). Today I attempted to eat some bacon because I haven't been able to eat it in about a year. That didn't work out too well... I couldn't tell if I was chewing it or not. I guess that will take practice. Thankfully I still have lots of chili.

1 Message

• 

80 Points

7 years ago

Top Ramen here. You can drain the juice add cheap cheese and there you have a great breakfast, lunch and dinner. .

8 Messages

• 

190 Points

7 years ago

This is day 5 for me, and I'm eating Ravioli as I type! I have been sooo hungry trying to figure out what foods I can eat. Been eating the Campbell's Soup on the Go, and Cream of Wheat. Actually had pancakes with an egg on day 3. Basically tounged it down. Had All of the rest of my teeth pulled on Friday, and it's Tuesday with a lot of pain still. Thank goodness for pain meds!

3 Messages

• 

102 Points

7 years ago

May I suggest potatoes! They became my best friend the first 2 weeks. Mashed, baked, plus you can season them and add goodies veggies/cheeses whatever is soft (steamed broccoli)!!. Soft chicken breast diced small, if you boil them or bake them they'll tear up really good and small. I'm on week 4, for tops only. Also if you like seafood, crab legs ;)

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

Yes I eat potatoes ,got my teeth on wensday afternoon and eat mashed potatoes that night. The next day I eat grits with some butter,that night I did oven backed chicken with gravy over rice. If you cut it real small you can eat it alright. I was chewing on day 3,but nothing to hard. I couldn't eat an apple that was sliced.

1 Message

• 

140 Points

7 years ago

I'm a day 9 of full extraction with upper and lower plates and it is getting better. Honestly the first few days alI I could tolerate was broth soups. A few days before oral surgery I made different soups, stocked up on yogurt and pudding. Though yogurt is a part of my regular diet, it still wasn't sticking to my ribs. Day 3 the broths weren't holding me. Even my love of egg drop soup. Moved onto pan grilling boneless skinless chicken breast and thighs, each gallon freezer bag dedicated to specific spice/flavor. Next I used my "ultimate chopper" to puree meat to an almost paste-mush consistancy. WOW! I can eat this and it sticks to my stomach and it's flavorful!!!! Next I did the same with vegies. I call it ADULT BABY FOOD, but it works. Day 9, I can chew very small cut morsels very carefully. It gets better!

9 Messages

• 

202 Points

your smile looks great!!!!

6 Messages

• 

110 Points

beautiful...way to hang in there...i am next

2 Messages

• 

110 Points

Trying to get use to eating with my dentures. All the ideas below have worked for me and thanks for the support. Seems my dentures are working against each other when chewing soft foods. Try using crackers to get the jaws and dentures in unison. Also keep a toothbrush available...some foods are sticking to dentures and I don't feel it.
Looking forward to getting my permanent dentures

5 Messages

• 

186 Points

great smile i just all 12 of my top teeth pulled two days ago i can't wait to smile like that

3 Messages

• 

102 Points

love the smile your dentures look great!!!!!!

10 Messages

• 

260 Points

7 years ago

I have been eating mac and cheese and kind of swallowing it whole. I am almost two weeks in and i am still afraid to eat,, It is kind of weird getting used to. I actually ate a real dish of penne pasta .. its filling and if you really feel that you cant chew it you can swallow it kind of whole .. Hoping it gets better I am dying to eat a slice of pizza ., 7 lbs down maybe these things are the next big thing for weight loss. lol

123 Messages

• 

2K Points

7 years ago

Hi Aileen, thanks for joining our forum and for sharing your tip about eating pasta.  Stick with soft foods for now, but when you're ready for that slice of pizza, use a knife & fork to cut it into small bites, and evenly distribute your food between both sides of your mouth.  In time you'll be able to eat most of your favorite foods.  Best of luck!