dentureliving_faq's profile

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Fri, Jun 28, 2013 10:14 AM

New denture comfort food!

I'm on day no. 2 of my dentures, and discovered a great food that seems to work very well with the tentativeness of eating with these things: ravioli!Not only are they tasty, but they almost seem tailor-made for this ecxact situation! Try it! Just make sure they cool down a good bit, they'll go down like magic, without challenging your new dentures with all kinds of unpredictable shapes!
(from faceinacrowd)

Responses

102 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

8 y ago

I am so happy to have found this web site ~ there are so many great suggestions and tips!! Plus, it makes me feel a lot better to know there are so many great people going through the same thing I am!! I am only on Day 1 ~ had all my teeth extracted yesterday and dentures put right in. It is tough now but will be worth all the pain later. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

102 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

8 y ago

Jayelle ~ I was very lucky to find a program in my state (Ohio) called Dental Options. It is designed for people who work but who have no dental insurance. The dentists volunteer to do the work needed at a discounted price ~ usually 50% of the standard fee. The bad part is the waiting list. They go by the county you live in ~ I live in one of the larger ones in Ohio, so there are more people on the list. I waited for a little over a year.

But it was definitely worth it because I couldn't afford the whole thing myself. My husband has a pretty good job ~ I have not worked for about 4 years now. As soon as my mouth heals I am going to start looking for a part-time job ~ I am excited about that too!!

Anyway, I needed 13 extractions. So the cost from the Surgeon together with the Dentist ended up to be about $2,500. We only had to pay half of that ~ $1,250. Very grateful for the program. I have to call them tomorrow ~ you have to check in after your appts and let them know what is going on. I will ask her if she knows if there is a program in your state. Did you say you live in Floridia?? Let me know and I will ask for you. Maybe the waiting list wouldn't be as long for you??

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

8 y ago

You got an awesome deal! I'm in Louisiana, no ins, there's LSU School of Dentistry in New Orleans, I've heard dental colleges are good when you're strapped for money. Haven't checked it out yet tho.

8 Messages

• 

190 Points

8 y ago

I live in California, have Concordia Insurance, and paid only $160 for the anesthesia. I had 21 teeth removed and got full permanent dentures right away.

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

8 y ago

Bobbi did you have conscious sedation or general anesthesia? I don't want to be knocked totally out, gives me the creeps.

8 Messages

• 

190 Points

8 y ago

general anesthesia. But stupid me forgot to make sure I was hydrated the day before. They had a really hard time finding a vein. My arms were black and blue for a week.

102 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

8 y ago

Jayelle ~ I just got off the phone with the lady at Dental Options. I asked her if Louisiana had a similar program and she gave me a phone number for you: 504-940-5200. The program here in Ohio is for people without dental insurance. It isn't free, it is discounted according to your income. I hope you check it out ~ who knows, they might be able to help you.

I did it without being knocked out because it is so expensive for general anesthesia. I think, if I could have ~ I might have done it, not sure. How many teeth did you say you need extracted?? I only had 13 left.

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

8 y ago

I'm being told all of them @ $250 per tooth, I have a consult for a 2nd opinion next week, but I will look into this as well. I'm glad to see some of Yall were allowed to stay conscious, he told me that wasn't an option. Thanks :)

92 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

8 y ago

Not sure where I read the recommendation but for a treat someone suggested WalMart Pound cake, easy to eat.

102 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

8 y ago

Sound good ~ last night I got a Marie Callender's frozen banana cream pie ~ kinda pricey, but worthit. I picked a few of the sliced almonds off of the top and the rest required no chewing at all ~ you don't have to eat the crust ~ I tried a little bit and it was ok

10 Messages

• 

320 Points

8 y ago

My husband just had 2 wisdom teeth extracted and we discovered cheesecake and quiche. Now why couldn't I figure those two YUMMY dishes out when I was fresh from my extractions? =P

102 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

8 y ago

I have heard of quiche but I don't know what it is or how to make it. Sorry ~ do you buy it already made ~ frozen or something??

5 Messages

• 

250 Points

8 y ago

You can usually buy quiche already made. It's just a matter of finding somewhere that has it. I've been eating a lot of pasta and Greek spinach pie, which is available where I shop. I made a pot of meatballs and when cut up small they go down easy. I think I'm going to put together some baked ravioli today, which will get me through a lot of the week. And the supermarket I go to carries some Panera soups in their fresh prepared food department, so I splurged on some of that. I am losing some weight, which I guess is good, but my jeans are falling off which is not as good.

30 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

7 y ago

Let the jeans fall off! This was the best time for me to loose weight with very little effort. I went from a size 18 to a 12 in 5 months! I joined a health club where I could paddle in the pool and then whirlpool to regain my strength and I am happy to buy new jeans! Plus it gave me something else to focus on besides my oral surgery & dentures. People aren't sure what has changed but they do see I look great! Go the distance!

6 Messages

• 

150 Points

7 y ago

scrambled eggs and oat meal go down great. am on day 12