dentureliving_faq's profile

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Thu, Jun 27, 2013 8:59 PM

My face is caved in and wrinkled since getting dentures.

I've had lowers for about 2 years and the upper for nearly a year now. I am so depressed because it has aged my face by at least 10 years. I read where so many feel like they like the look of dentures better than their old teeth, but not me. My lips have nearly disappeared. My upper lip is all wrinkled ...like people who have smoked for years get. I have never smoked. My cheeks are concave and jowels drooping. I am 54, but look mid 60 something since getting my teeth out and these dentures in. What's the trick to a good looking smile ??
(from JustNotTheSame)

Responses

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

8 y ago

I am 62 and 2 months in on my new teeth-uppers and lowers. I am still waiting for my lips to return. Dentist stole them and wont tell me where she put them :) You face and mouth will look different with dentures than what you had with your own teeth. I don't think you should be getting the caved in and wrinkled look though. How have the remarks been when people see you? What are they saying about your new smile? Maybe they see the pretty more than you do???
(from patandfritz)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

8 y ago

In addition to the changed outward appearance, I still can't eat anything without pureeing it first. I have no saliva due to an autoimmune disease, so I choke very easily, and my teeth don't stay in because dentures need saliva to create that suction.
(from JustNotTheSame)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

8 y ago

Patandfritz, I am sorry that I didn't see your post until just now. I've read many posts from people who are happy with the look of dentures and said they feel their looks have not changed. I think it really depends on the prosthodonist or lab that made them. I really want to get a second opinion and see if something more can be done. The sunken in cheeks and wrinkles I thought were from the bones receding, which happens once teeth have been removed,but when I look at others with dentures, this does not appear to be a problem for any one else. Others look at me...have that look on their faces like they know I am different now,and they are being kind not to say anything. My husband says yes, my appearance has changed,but that it's what's on the inside that counts...and he will always love me. I am blessed to have him in my life. My sister, who I only see every few years,actually cried when she saw me the last time and said I don't look good. :-(
(from JustNotTheSame)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

8 y ago

Have you mentioned this change to you primary care physician? Since you are the only one you know experiencing this problem, it could be that it isn't your dentures causing the problem at all. I would hate for some other medical condition to go undiagnosed because you think your dentures are to blame (which is a normal deduction). Next time you go in for a check up, I would definitely mention this to your doctor, maybe even take an old photo with you to show the difference. If nothing else, maybe he/she will have a suggestion as to ways to improve it.
(from Bush)

1 Message

• 

182 Points

4 y ago

Thanl you for you response I too feel that I now have what I refer to as denture face. I want my old face back before dentures. I will be mking an sppointmnt to discuss my terrible ssssssssssssssssunken looking face.

1 Message

• 

140 Points

3 y ago

i feel so ugly my face is so bad around mouth im 44 and look and feel 70

51 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

3 y ago

I know how you feel. I used to have nice full lips and now they're flat and thin. I didn't realize not having teeth would have so much to do with your lips but it sure does. Just have to get used to living this way and think about people who have it a lot worse than I do. Not much help but it's all I know to do.

2 Messages

• 

112 Points

3 y ago

It's definitely not just you!!! I am 41 and got upper dentures a year & half ago and am having the same exact problems that you are & have read folks online with the same problems! From what I have read while researching online it sounds like the teeth in the denture(s) are not set correctly & are too short therefore instead of filling in our face they are causing it to sink in. I'm trying to find someone who is highly accredited with good reviews that I can go to to have a new denture made...I think you should do the same so you can regain your confidence

2 Messages

• 

150 Points

3 y ago

When a top or bottom plate was done..were the proper amount of teeth out in these plates?

2 Messages

• 

112 Points

3 y ago

Yes Dyana

45 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

3 y ago

I've had an upper denture, full, for 18 years. It looked great. Got a new upper in January & look 10 or 15 years older. Can't be bone loss because all my teeth were pulled in 2000 & I looked fine.Comparing pictures of myself from Christmas this past year to pics made a month later with the new teeth & it's truly shocking the difference & not in a good way.  So I'm sure it must be the denture. This is just the temporary & I think I can probably get the permanent now but will NOT be going back to the same place. When I Googled this I found out it's a fairly common problem called "Denture Face" and is caused by poorly made dentures that don't fit your mouth right.

3 Messages

• 

222 Points

3 y ago

My tips to not having wrinkles or looking sunken after dentures... I've had full dentures since I was 25 years old. I'm now 43. I have found that adding a soft coat denture liner helps. After you pour it in and give it a few minutes to firm up a bit you put it in your mouth and allow it to flow go over the front and side gum line, lift your lip and push it upwards so it's not oozing over your teeth. It fills out the sunken appearance and makes my lips poke out even prettier than before I had dentures. If your dentures are older you might need to add 2 applications of softcoat (one at a time) to build up the denture. Also, I leave my dentures in 24-7. I only take them out to brush them. Fortunately, my bottom denture has 2 implants so they stay in place. 

If this doesn't work for you or you've found that years of sleeping without a denture has caused wrinkles, etc. that don't go away with the softcoat added I recommend also going to a plastic surgeon and having a filler added to plump up your lips and around the mouth where any lines are formed. 

I've been having filler in my lips the last few years because I'm getting older and want them fuller, more pouty and youthful-it has nothing to do with my dentures. Fillers will help though. They can make someone who's 50 look 30.  Fillers like juviderm contain hyaluronic acid which helps you build your own collagen around the area it's injected so it's natural and it lasts 6-12 months. I get 1-2 syringes a year added and my doctor charges $600 per syringe. 

I hope this helps someone. 

9 Messages

• 

386 Points

3 y ago

Thank God for the do it yourself relign kit. I've been doing the soft relign myself since the beginning when I realized the lab that made my dentures had the worse reputation and thousands of unsatisfied patients. I just wasn't informed about anything and didn't know that I should have been more pro active in every way before I jumped in. I know so much now but I'm out $6000.00 and my dentures are so awful. I'm happy to say that I'm very confident that Russell Klein at denturestore on etsy.com is going to make me smile again. I've read thru hundreds of the reviews that were posted at his store. He seems to care about his customers/clients/patients.

245 Messages

• 

4.6K Points

3 y ago

Deb sounds like such a Russel Klein advocate, yet has never gotten hers from him?  <rolls eyes>

4 Messages

• 

318 Points

3 y ago

1Spicy!, I JUST came back here to see if she had them done or if she was STILL spouting the same info over and over! I see NOTHING has changed! She's still recommending them like a robot, yet hasn't purchased them herself! Bahaha!!!