Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

1 Message

• 

1.1K Points

Sat, Oct 5, 2013 12:07 AM

Miserable 5 days after new dentures

I am a 30 yr old mother of 3 and just had all my remaining teeth pulled (top and bottom) with immediant dentures. Its been 5 days and I am miserable!! Its not really the pain, the only thing that hurts is 2 little spots on the bottom were it is rubbing.What bothers me is the fact that I talk funny and I cant eat. Also I am young and embarrassed, I feel like everyone I see knows when only a few people actually know. Its humiliating! I keep hearing over and over that it will get better but i am miserable while waiting. Also any suggestions on any type of cushions or anything to help with rubbing? And when can i start using adhesives? I feel like it would help if the stayed firmly in place.

Responses

1 Message

• 

462 Points

7 years ago

I am 33 and just had all my top done and going back this Thursday to do the bottom. I haven't eat in 4 days now, but I am really not in the mood to eat. My dentist told me to use Poli grip powder. They even put it on my dentures the same day they pulled my teeth. the other day I tried not to use it but the suctions on the holes where my real teeth used to be are throbbing a little now. I am so scared of a dry socket... heathernd don't be depressed. I am having score spots on my top too. I been telling people I got my teeth whiting lol the fun thing is people believe me. Only close family and friends know the truth.. I am right here with you it sounds we had our teeth done on the same day. I am a mother of 1. please keep in touch HEATHERNB

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

I'm 31 and a mother of 3. I had my top all pulled 6 days ago and am getting my dentures this week. I'm scared about it popping out in front of people. Good to know I'm not alone. Any advice will be appreciated

7 Messages

• 

350 Points

Amanda,
I had my top done about 2 months a ago. I admit the first day after I had my teeth extracted it was really really uncomfortable. I had sore spot it hurt so bad when I remove the dentures I went back to the dentist like 2 to 3 times per week for adjustments, but after about 2 weeks my dentures felt normal I was eating things that I've hadn't eaten in a long time. They have improved my smile, I have more confidence, I smile all the time and no one knows that they are dentures but my immediate family. Everyone else thinks they are my teeth. You will get used to them and they're going to be great its just getting past the first couple stages of soreness. I hope this helps as I was nervous about getting them also but now I am comfortable with them and glad that I made this decision to get them. Oh and did I add that now I'm more healthier because the bad teeth are gone!!!

4 Messages

• 

154 Points

I told people I had jaw surgery and veneers!! If seems to be working so far! ;). It's really non of anyone's business! Enjoy your new smile!!

3 Messages

• 

164 Points

I'm sixty my gums are healed but when they put top in I wanted to gag. I am thought seeing perfect teeth would make me happy I cryed. Help no

64 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

I feel the same way Betty.... I look different/ughy, and Ican't keep them in all day or I'm gonna puke! If I smile too big, they pop out!!! yikes :-(

30 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

7 years ago

Hi Heather! I know it IS miserable at first! I think I hit the wall 2 weeks in wondering WHEN is this going to start to FEEL good (not just physically)! But now that I am on the other side of that wall, I can tell you it really does get better.

Half the battle is setting proper expectations I now realize. I am going into my 6th week (sorry, earlier post I counted wrong, it was 4 weeks then) and there are moments when I actually feel like they are my own. Those moments are getting longer and longer.

Be very patient with yourself and take your meds on time. Don't let the pain start up for at least the 1st 4 weeks. I never take medication for anything, just vitamins, but found with this it is a must! That is partly why I couldn't count the weeks properly because of the meds. I asked to get switched from hydrocodone about 2.5 weeks after the surgery to protect my brain and the dentist wrote a script for 800 mg of Ibuprofen to take every 4-6 hours which focuses more on the inflammation. Around week 5 I asked if I could do Aleeve every 12 hours instead which I really do more like 8-12 but it has helped me to get my head clear while still controlling the inflammation. I felt throbbing a few times at night with that but got through it.

See my post "6 weeks and counting...there's hope" for food ideas. I found eating the right soft and nutritious foods helps tremendously with your energy and mental state too. It was annoying at first, how little I could eat. But I finally resigned my self to taking tiny little bits of food like 1 macaroni on each side of my mouth at a time. Lots and lots of vegetable soup guys! Now I am up to 4-6 at a time plus small amounts of salmon or scallops! I even had tiny little bits of very tender filet mignon yesterday!

Also, drinks lots of water, plus sparking water real cold helps a lot. The little bubbles, soothe the swelling in an amazing way, especially after trying to eat.

I was going to the dentist literally every other day the 1st 2 weeks for adjustments. Really do that because your mouth is changing EVERY day as the healing progresses. It will prevent sores and help the fit happen a lot better for you.

I don't look my age at all and the dentists as well as the surgeon were telling me before surgery that I could expect to back to work in a few days...nope, that didn't happen! They failed to read my date of birth and were looking at me instead. I am twice as old as they thought and finally after 3 weeks, admitted its more like 6-8 weeks. Once I adjusted my expectations and resigned to be patient, I began to feel a lot better!

It also helped when my dentist said think of this like multiple amputations you have had. That resonated because my mom had her leg amputated below the knee and I supported her through the fittings for the prosthesis and the shrinking. But once all of that stabilize she did great! This is the same thing. So I really hope the best for you and that you decide this is a process where you will emerge in victory!

14 Messages

• 

292 Points

I'm having some of the same problem you are having.Nice to hear it gets better cause right now I am ready to throw these things away.

3 Messages

• 

120 Points

I am 11 days in with top and bottom. They only gave me pain medication for 4 days. The ulcers have been the hardest and I can't speak well. I am a school nurse and I hate it.

2 Messages

• 

132 Points

Hello Everyone Deb here, I am 4 days in from having top and bottom teeth pulled and dentures put in same day.. I am miserable!!! I have sore spots on top and on bottom and bottom plate floats around, really uncomfortable and embarrassing , I have gone back in and they told me while home to take out the dentures and let the sore spots heal, My question... how do I get USED to wearing them if I am not wearing them due to sore spots??? LOL

181 Messages

• 

5.7K Points

Deb & Lisa...Hopefully, by now, you've both had ''soft relines'' done, which will help a lot, but the dentures will loosen after a few days...When I had ''sore spots'', I'd use Fixodent ONLY on those sore spot areas when I put them back in...Then as my gums shrank more, I found ''Cushion Grip'', which is an ''adhesive'' for your dentures, (like a soft reline!) and you can put Fixodent on top of it too.. Reapply in 4-7 days...I used 5 tubes until I got my Permanent dentures.. It's only available at CVS Pharmacy, or you can purchase it on Amazon.com..it's cheaper there! Sometimes, I'd use some ''Oragel'' (numbs the gum area) before I put my dentures in...I'm now into my Permanent dentures, and my gums are ''adjusting'' again, and I've already needed one adjustment late last month.. I see my dentist on Tuesday..for another adjustment, so it's a process but it does get better!! I hope you are both feeling better and I wish you lots of LUCK... Don't give up, you'll have a beautiful smile soon!!

1 Message

• 

140 Points

If they are that loose, it sounds like they need some adjustment now. I am starting day 5 after having top and bottom removed. My immediate dentures are a good tight fit. There were a couple spots that really hurt - like they were cutting into my lip or rubbing on my poor abused gums. The dentist got out his dremmel and fixed most of that. When i got home, I got out my emories and buffers I use for acrylic nails and smoothed it out some more. I only smoothed thins that are not right by my gums.

I can talk OK, but not for long. Then I get tired and I sound a lot like someone who was born deaf. When I start to get discouraged by my speech, I remember all the great deaf people I have known. They have to do this everyday of their lives, surely I can do it for a short while (like a month). 

It is very important to have calories and protein in order to heal. Calories from fruits and veggies and fats, not just sugar. Cream soup, scrambled eggs and yogurt make up most of my foods. Soft serve ice cream feels good, so it is my treat. I track calories now, after realizing on day 2 I was only eating about 450 calories!  No wonder I was exhausted and in tears!

I drink loads of water and let myself nap. I was back to work and school on day 4. I was very tired afterwards, but I did OK. I can't expect to be normal, after all I am healing from a major trauma to my mouth. I am doing pretty well, and I hope you are, too. 

Thanks for the tips, Dee. There are a couple spots above where my eye teeth were that are sore and really hurt while putting dentures in/out. I will try you suggestions.

-Debi

30 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

7 years ago

Ooops my earlier post about my whole store is entitled "Ideas and Encouragement". (The older site had the other title which was replaced by this one only a few days after I wrote my 1st post.)

211 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

Changed4Him, I really appreciate reading what you had to say. I thought that because I was only given enough pain medication for 3 1/2 days that meant the pain should be bearable or gone by then. Through reading yours and others comments I think that is not a reasonable expectation. I will have to go all day tomorrow (Sunday) without. I started taking Aleve as soon as I read this. If that doesn't help I will call her on Monday and see if I can get something stronger. I'm learning a lot by reading everyone's experiences. Thanks! Pamela

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Unfortunately the government says you should only be in pain for 3 and 1/2 days what the hell do they know grrrrrrr

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I was given no pain medication and didn t think of asking at the time due to the numbness. Imposible to wear immediate dentures right now. Its been 3 days what can i do ?

1 Message

• 

60 Points

@Kenneth Rivera - you need to return to the dentist and get something to help you rest.  They said rest heals the body....and with 48 hours of pain meds, I wasn't able to rest with the meds the first 2 days.....needless to say, I am on day 7, have been back for 2 adjustments.....one I had to wait over the weekend for and by Saturday I couldn't bare to put my immmediates in.  After returning on Monday and waiting in the waiting room ALL DAY to see the dentist because I was a walk in I assume, they informed me what I thought I felt was bits of peices of teeth was exposed bone and they had to num me up and trim the bone and skin down on both sides of top gum, because I let it rub sore spots too long.  I had them pulled on Tuesday, went back for adjustment Thurs. and by Saturday I couldnt bare to put them in my mouth!  So DO NOT WEAR THEM AND LET THEM RUB WITHOUT GOING FOR ADJUSTMENTS DAILY i assume  (I only have the top denture, still have my bottom teeth) but they offered no meds or anything for that and expect me to wear them now on top of the procedure done yesterday!  I just don't know.  I think I am going to have to remove mine and let that heal first, then start fresh from healed mouth to even begin to figure out where the sore spots really are anymore!

But my denture is way to big and they just keep taking some off of it.  Will they ever adjust by adding anything to it?

8 Messages

• 

210 Points

Not sure I'm here for encouragement. I had 26 teeth pulled 11 days ago. I've lost 14 pounds because it is impossible to eat, since the teeth don't meet each other and they basically float around in my mouth. I go back tomorrow morning to have all the stitches out, so hopefully they can then adjust the dentures so they fit and I can start using adhesive. Drinking Gatorade for 11 days seems to cause dramatic weight loss. It's been very difficult to go without any solid food for almost 2 full weeks.

21 Messages

• 

502 Points

7 years ago

The only thing you can do as far as the dentures rubbing is to keep going in for adjustments.I'm 3wks in on full dentures and my gums have shrunk a lot,have to go in again for #6 adjustment.They told me it would be several times up until it's time to do a reline when my jaw bones heal from when they shaved them smooth.

3 Messages

• 

100 Points

if you are careful and confident you can adjust yourself with dremal, just go slow and remove and polish a little at a time, use sharpie to mark spot while denture is still in mouth!    good luck!!

64 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

Hi! I had the dentist adjust my upper so many times, then a soft reline.... but now, if I yawn or smile too big they come out!? Did he take off too much???

2 Messages

• 

80 Points

You can ask that a new pair be made if the dentist did something wrong. But your gums change and shrink so I believe that is what happened to you.. If they are professional about it they may make you a new pair free of change if not.. Good Luck

64 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

He has fixed them, and I have implants on the bottom, too!

175 Messages

• 

3.6K Points

Lee - can I ask exactly what Dremal tool you used?  I've been thinking of doing exactly the same thing, cos that's all the denture technician does every time I go back - a bit of filing with a power tool.  I mark the spots where it's hurting - I could so easily do this myself a tiny bit at a time.   This is partial denture and it only has to stay in for 3 weeks for now to test the material and see if I'm allergic to it - after that I won't need it til another tooth comes out then I might.  But in the meantime this thing is SO painful & I'm stick of going backwards & forwards.   Cheers!  Jodie.

5 Messages

• 

140 Points

7 years ago

I am doing fine with top and bottom partials but I didnt get them until my teeth were out for five months. But it does get better

1 Message

• 

60 Points

7 years ago

I had the 5 remaining teeth pulled from the top yesterday, the others have been pulled in the few weeks before. (still have most of bottom teeth) First I had issues with the gag reflex. That has been conquered, but now I am dealing with lots of nausea and haven't been able to keep much down today. I had my top plate in for 24 hours straight, always put it back in after being sick. Took it out and ate some applesauce and crackers, felt pretty good, so I put them back in and less than 5 mins promptly got sick. I then took them out and left them out. The dentist told me that I should at least go 8 hours without them in to let the incisions and stitches heal.
Any idea what I can do?

3 Messages

• 

164 Points

Gag reflex omg I went for last

4 Messages

• 

144 Points

When you feel like you want to gag hold your big toe straight up. not all your toes just your big toe. You will actually focus on your toe and not the gagging. It works honest.

3 Messages

• 

164 Points

I waited to get my Dentures after my gums healed. I'm so very happy. Their beautiful I can eat raw vegetables again chips. I've had some spots I go ito the lab he fixes it. I hope things get better for everyone. I'm glad I didn't get teeth pulled and dentures right away sounds rough. I'm so glad to smile again.

6 Messages

• 

474 Points

I got. Top 10 teeth out and dentures in. The same day. Miserrablle for first week.But I had garrgled with salt water, ate Only softy food which is difficult!! Dentist adusstd they fit great!!! But, not if I try chewing. Told Not to. Use denture cream yet. Healing well but he said take it slow. Either way I guess you have to. I love my new smille !! It will get better!!!

6 Messages

• 

474 Points

14 Messages

• 

292 Points

7 years ago

I can tell you it will take longer then 8 hrs. for the incisions to heal ,Rinse your mouth out with warm salt water that helps with soreness and healing. If still nausea you may want to have a little trim off of the back that made a big difference for me.

11 Messages

• 

420 Points

7 years ago

I'm a 'veteran' now, approaching 3 months with my new teeth. changed 4him is right. It took me about 3 weeks before I could chew. I never had real pain, but the chewing was uncomfortable. It was a full month before I could chew anything but soft foods without discomfort, again no real pain.

If you have sore spots, contact your dentist and have the dentures adjusted. You can probably expect to go back a number of times for minor adjustments. I've only been 3 times and should go again, except that we're out of town for the next over a month due to a family emergency. I'll make do with Fixodent adhesive.

I didn't begin using adhesives for about 2 weeks, if I recall correctly. The gums need time to heal. Once you start using the adhesive, things begin to improve noticeably.

As for talking, initially I had a nasty lisp. If I try to speak at my normal, pre-denture rate, I still find myself lisping. I've had to learn to slow down and form my words. Mostly it's working fine and I'm convinced that, in time, I'll be speaking at my normal rate again. Remember, your mouth isn't the same anymore and it takes time to adjust.

1 Message

• 

62 Points

I need some help as well I'mI'm 32 and on my 3rd day and I had my top row pulled the dentist told me to take my dentures out today but I'm so scared because she put the paste on the roof of my my and I'm scared that I'm going to pull out a clot and have a dry socket and I think also that I'm not ready to see myself without teeth can you tell me how to take them out because I'm going to go to the dentist and ask them to take them out for me

1 Message

• 

102 Points

Wet your mouth with warm water before you take them out. It won't pull as much. It will loosen the paste.

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

Ive tried everything but my botyom set will not come out. I have to go back to work on tusday. This is way to mucch pain to handle. Andd I've had two natural births t his is wora than that. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

Wow hearing all these stories freak me out! I have my top teeth out 2 weeks ago and will be wearing my dentures as of Thursday. This is why I was told to wait 6 months for the sensitivity of the gums to stop. Warm water and work then off off the gum slowly. It will hurt but its really the only choice. Good luck

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

Hey Jen going. On eight days had 25 teeth removed plates put in same day no fixadent have bad sores on cofounder the nose area n under the bottom by chin they did say u can put fixadent same day I'd how but I'm eating g frozen mea l s cause I was sick of pudding n etc like pasta doing ok have a lisp But that's because I need to have an adjustment and my dentist had an emergency today they won't be back up till Monday they told me to put fix-it at Intel done on my mom of 3 37 years old so I understand my sores are still there they said you can use Orajel I didn't take mine out for a lease for five days cause I was so scared but I do take them out two three times a day I've rinsed with warm salt water and also found out that if you rinse your mouth with like Listerine or Colgate it feels much better to I also heard that if you warm up Listerine in the microwave for like 45 seconds and you squish it around your mouth that it loosens to fixadent up been very nervous but so far so good I know once they get adjusted they will feel much better everybody's different nobody will ever be the same to tell you just takes a lot of time and patience is what I heard good luck I will be back on looking around cause I been reading everybody else's advice to thanks. Cynthia

11 Messages

• 

500 Points

7 years ago

I've worn dentures for over 15 years - had all mine pulled when I was 38. It really does get better and eventually you are looking back on it and seeing how far you have come. Be sure to get plenty of rest, clean your mouth regularly, see your dentist as often as necessary for adjustments, and do NOT rush yourself!! Good luck!

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

I had all my teeth extracted on friday. I was given my full set of dentures. Waited 24hrs but I cannot get my botto. Onea out and they hurt. My tops come out fine. Any suggestions on how to get them out

4 Messages

• 

170 Points

Warm to hot water and swish and swish and work it and work it. Enjoy!

271 Messages

• 

6.2K Points

Jenn, did you see my response a few days ago? It has some great tips on how to safely and effectively get your dentures out. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need me to post them again. Thanks! ~Rosie

1 Message

• 

80 Points

Had remaining top teeth pulled 5 days ago left in for 3 days per dentist he took thme out and cleaned them tonight will be the first time I take the mouthpiece out for 8 hours I had no pain afterwards no true swelling but lets see what tonight hold

3 Messages

• 

122 Points

My top have been fine no problems at all with them but I can't wear my bottoms because they don't match up in the front I have a huge gap between the top and bottom. They touch in the back but not the top I don't know what to do about that

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

7 years ago

I'm 38 years old. This is my 5 th day of having dentures. Top and bottom. I am miserable as well. I started the adhesive early. It helps. Only problem I have is, when they adjust the dentures, will they adjust the top part of the dentures? It feels like a wad of gum us stuck on the top of my mouth and I feel like gagging all the time. Is that what I have to get use to or will they adjust it? It's affecting me at my job. And I don't think I can get use to it so thick like that. ;(

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

i really hope ur able to rply this is my 5th day i had all min removed monday and immediate dentures i want to kno if i can put a glue on its hurts terribly and the bottoms willl not stay in place

11 Messages

• 

500 Points

I have never ever used any paste or glue is the 15 years since I had my teeth pulled and got my dentures. It takes practice to eat with dentures. Be patient and go slow. Good luck!

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

ty @carol i am on day 6 now and so extreamly miserable i have mouth sores and its just so very painful im headed to the hospital because the pain med they gave along with ibu800mg isnt touching this pain i kno its supposed to hurt but this doesnt seem normal its unbearable

11 Messages

• 

500 Points

So sorry... I think a lot of people have a lot more pain and it takes far longer to recover than for what doctors prepare them. Perhaps they are afraid to make it sound too bad - afraid they won't have the surgery... Honesty is the best policy! Best wishes - hope you feel much better soon!!!

1 Message

• 

60 Points

So it has been 2 yrs for you. Does it really get better. I had the top dr tyre put in about 2 months ago and am miserable. They are just too thick for my mouth. The front Pratt you can actually see that they protrude a little. And the gagging is unbearable. Am very embarrassed. Can't keep them in longer Han 3 hours or I will vomit. So I don't go out much. I won't get the permanent ones until October. So then does the pain start all over again with that. Feeling didgusted